Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matter: Is there a HomeSeer technology roadmap or even a plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex_W
    replied
    Originally posted by SeattleDavid View Post

I have HomeSeer installed, but it has never been a good experience.

I have almost 50 of their HS switches and over the years most of them have failed…a far higher failure rate than any other electronics I have. They seem to be indifferent to quality.​
    I had some issues when I switched from HS3 on Linux to a Pro Controller but they were resolved by HomeSeer after a bit of prodding from me. I have quite a number of their devices and I don't think I've had a failure. I did go through a period where the switches would freeze and need to be reset on a regular basis. This turned out to be the result of an open neutral on the underground mains wiring. My utility company fixed the issue and I've had no problems since then. Smart switches are particularly susceptible to such issues because they are AC powered devices that are always on. Devices using a DC power supply are much more robust in that department.

It seems odd that you are having such a high failure rate. You may want to check for an open neutral just in case. They can be dangerous.

As to the rest of it, HomeSeer is a device designed by hobbyists and tinkerers for hobbyists and tinkerers. This is made obvious by the fact that so much of it's functionality depends on third-party plugins and the reliance on these forums for much of the support. It is also obvious because HomeSeer is end-user programmable. Crestron, Lutron, and URC don't let end users anywhere near their programming. With a bit of patience and a willingness to learn HomeSeer (and HS4Touch) can be made to dance a pretty nice tango at a fraction of the cost of professionally installed and supported systems.

I did residential systems integration for a living. I founded a successful company that uses HAI, Crestron, URC and Lutron (along with JBL Synthesis and Runco) as core products. I wrote the first Residential Systems Integration curriculum to ever receive approval by a state board of education (as far as I know it is the only one). I co-authored CEA/TIA residential standards and did peer review for ETAi Residential Systems course development. I hold a Lifetime ETAi Master Certification. I'm telling you that HomeSeer is not, nor is it intended to be a professional/commercial product. If you want such a product, hire a professional integrator. But be prepared for sticker shock. Those cats don't come cheap.

Keep in mind that with HomeSeer you are not purchasing a turnkey home automation system. What you are purchasing is a basic DIY home automation kit. You add the stuff that you want to add and you make it your own. It's a hobby. If your hobby caused you frustration or anxiety then you should probably seek out another hobby (my sister enjoys needlepoint).

Perhaps all that is required for you to enjoy this hobby of ours is to adjust your expectations. Low expectations are the key to happiness. The lower your expectations the greater the likelihood that you will be pleasantly surprised.​

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    I’m not new to HomeSeer. I’m stuck with their system.

I am well aware that they are an unreliable company with unreliable products.

I am editorializing frustration over their sociopathic behavior.
    I think they mean well, seriously. But they are in way over their heads in terms of modern product development and delivery methodologies and business practices. It's a mom 'n pop operation that has no desire be better since they can pay their bills and employees. I've given into the fact that it is what is and no matter what you or I say it's not going to change.

Leave a comment:

• SeattleDavid
    replied
    I’m not new to HomeSeer. I’m stuck with their system.

I am well aware that they are an unreliable company with unreliable products.

I am editorializing frustration over their sociopathic behavior.

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    While I really would like Matter support, I would even more like to HomeSeer care about its credibility.

When they say in an official posting it will happen in 2023 and it is a quarter into 2024, a reasonable person would either expect it to be released or for there to be an update. Otherwise, it gives appearances that they are sociopathic.

I have almost 50 of their HS switches and over the years most of them have failed…a far higher failure rate than any other electronics I have. They seem to be indifferent to quality.
    I take it you're new to Homeseer? They have never met their own deadlines/projections in the last several years. It's an ingrained pattern. They refuse to publish roadmaps because they never meet the dates. But don't take my word for it, all the evidence is in the forums.

Leave a comment:

• SeattleDavid
    replied
    While I really would like Matter support, I would even more like to HomeSeer care about its credibility.

When they say in an official posting it will happen in 2023 and it is a quarter into 2024, a reasonable person would either expect it to be released or for there to be an update. Otherwise, it gives appearances that they are sociopathic.

I have almost 50 of their HS switches and over the years most of them have failed…a far higher failure rate than any other electronics I have. They seem to be indifferent to quality.

Leave a comment:

• mulu
    replied
    I realize that credibility isn't one of HomeSeer's strong points, but is there an update on this?
    They need to charge another $40/year and hire a dedicated full time employee to support it first Ok, I don't think they will do that (not 100% sure, though) but maybe that dedicated employee for Alexa integration can also work on matter integration... It appears matter had to work out some issues which according to rjh put things on ice. Fair enough. But HS seems to be falling behind again... I also hope we will get an update with a concrete plan that is actually followed through.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...85#post1662085

Leave a comment:

• SeattleDavid
    replied
    Originally posted by macromark View Post
    Yes, we do plan to support Matter: https://homeseer.com/matter/
    "Yes, we will be adding Matter support to our HomeTroller hubs and HS4 software and plan to implement this in 2023."
    I realize that credibility isn't one of HomeSeer's strong points, but is there an update on this?

Leave a comment:

• KindaInControl
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by TC1 View Post

To be more specific, their hub is now a Matter bridge and does the translation to devices like the FP2. The devices themselves (for now) will not be changing. You could use their hub today and talk to it via HomeKit and other methods.
    Does anyone know if this HomeKit integration with the Aqara hub will support triggering HomeSeer events using the Aqara FP2 sensor's Zone Positioning functionality?

Here's how Aqara describes this functionality. It sounds like it has amazing potential for Events!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	205.6 KB ID:	1611650
    Now having said that, notice here that only Aqara Home has "Full function"​ listed, vs. the other hubs and ecosystems only supporting Precense/Presence Light... (So the question I have is if this Zone Positioning info will make it through to HomeSeer from Aqara Home.)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	298.9 KB ID:	1611653

• Bigstevep
    commented on 's reply
    You can already use and control Aqara motion sensors with MQTT. I use their P1 motion sensors and the FP1 sensors. I really like the Aqara P1 motion sensors as they are very configurable, fast and have two batteries so supposedly 5 years battery life. My oldest ones have been online for six months now and the batteries are still at 100% in high activity areas. Just make sure that you get the P1 variety and not the standard Aqara motion sensors as they have one battery and aren't configurable. You can also use a Hubitat hub with a community driver to set them up as well with the Hubitat plugin. I don't know about the FP2 as I don't have one.

• TC1
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by Jakob.Sand View Post
    Aqara is now Matter compliant - I would love to use HS as the control of Aqara sensors (FP2) - when do you plan to release the Matter support ?
    To be more specific, their hub is now a Matter bridge and does the translation to devices like the FP2. The devices themselves (for now) will not be changing. You could use their hub today and talk to it via HomeKit and other methods.

• Jakob.Sand
    commented on 's reply
    Aqara is now Matter compliant - I would love to use HS as the control of Aqara sensors (FP2) - when do you plan to release the Matter support ?

• pistacheL0
    commented on 's reply
    My use case for matter would be to send any homeseer device to the matter network, so they would communicate locally with homekit and alexa

• JimSpy
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
    Matter is a protocol that sits on top of other devices and protocols in order to send all your data to the tech giants involved in its creation to provide better marketing data for targeted advertising... I mean interoperability.
    I almost bought that....almost...

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Until you actually have product in hand, yes, it is vaporware. And the standard has already been formalized.

And all the folks here like myself that have been doing home automation for 20+ years are saying, people are acting like Matter is going to be the home automation savior that we've all been praying for... reality, once it gets here, might prove otherwise.
    To be fair, it looks like it is riding on top of Zigbee... so it really is just an evolution, not anything particularly new.

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Originally posted by MongoNash View Post

I don't know that I'd call it 'vaporware'. Multiple manufacturers have/are releasing products that will be 'upgradable' to Matter (Schlage Connect + is one) once the standard is finalized. In talking to the manufacturers at CES and IBS it's obvious they are moving to Matter, it's just going to take a lot of time for it to gain a large market share.
    Until you actually have product in hand, yes, it is vaporware. And the standard has already been formalized.

And all the folks here like myself that have been doing home automation for 20+ years are saying, people are acting like Matter is going to be the home automation savior that we've all been praying for... reality, once it gets here, might prove otherwise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X