Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matter: Is there a HomeSeer technology roadmap or even a plan?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    https://www.reviewgeek.com/135345/ma...dy-fragmented/
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

    Comment


      #92
      The article, in some areas, is poorly written. This section:
      If you wanted to use a better app, the only option was to limit yourself to one device manufacturer and hope that would cover all your needs. Multi-admin control, in theory, lets you use your favorite to control all your devices, regardless of manufacturer. But there’s a catch: first, a device manufacturer has to allow its gadgets to be controlled by other apps. And it has to update its app to control devices from other manufacturers.
      See, this is where Homeseer, and other platforms like it, really shine. Via the extensible plug-in architecture, I can already control my Hue bulbs, wifi switches, mini-split A/C, Zigbee devices, etc, all from one interface. And when Matter hits the retail market, HS will have a software Matter bridge (more than likely based on a reference design).

      To be blunt, there's too many people worrying about something that hasn't even come to fruition yet.

      Comment


        #93
        Without sample devices to develop and test against, this is on my "I'll get to it someday" list.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

        Comment


          #94
          Originally posted by kenm View Post
          Without sample devices to develop and test against, this is on my "I'll get to it someday" list.
          I'm planning to start items on that list in 2025

          ---
          John

          Comment


            #95
            Originally posted by John245 View Post

            I'm planning to start items on that list in 2025

            ---
            John
            Wow! You will be way ahead of me.

            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

            Comment


              #96
              Noticing that Z-wave really appears to be taking off and is far from "dead-man" walking. Silicon Labs themselves seem to have embraced "thread bridging" to bring matter fabric to both Zigbee and Z-Wave. A demo of their thread bridging is on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/a33acT9RtJk

              I've been deploying Z-Wave 700 series devices in my own home and have been very happy with the performance and reliability, even when the internet is down.

              Finally, adding IP support to a product that doesn't technically require it, can add some significant unforeseen impacts. A few years ago DNS (how you get an IP for a website when you type in an address) was under attack by a massive DDoS based on an IoT botnet called Mirai. My Z-Wave switches will never be used for a botnet as those devices cannot communicate via the Internet.

              Matter? If not properly secured, and patched when exploits or code issues are encountered, these devices can easily become members of the next large IoT botnet. When it get's to the point that it has to be patched on a regular basis with updates to all the different vendors products, it gets in the way of what should be a simple control of a local device.

              With the 'non-matter" WifI home automation products? "More than 1 billion IoT security attacks took place in 2021, nearly 62 million of which were IoT-related DDoS attacks." Source - https://threatpost.com/ddos-attacks-prepared/180273/

              Comment


                #97
                Zwave has become very reliable. Matter is vaporware.
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

                Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

                Comment


                  #98
                  Z-Wave just has a few small problems left to overcome:

                  They need to solve the popcorn effect issue that prevents groups of lights from turning on and off in unison or dimming smoothly together, especially in mixed brand environments.

                  They need to solve the problem where a backup from one controller cannot be restored to a different brand controller. What is the point of a standard if things are not completely interoperable?

                  They have keypads that can trigger scenes but they need some that can act as multi-way switches simply by including the button in the switch group. Some folks have gotten the scene controllers to act as multi-way switches with lots of events in the controller to sync the virtual switch state and status LEDs but it is difficult and ugly.

                  They need to ditch the overly complex mesh network concept and go to direct signalling with sufficient range and penetration to be reliable (like LoRa does).

                  If they tidy up these issues folks will have less reason to jump ship for Matter.

                  Comment


                    #99
                    Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                    They need to ditch the overly complex mesh network concept and go to direct signalling with sufficient range and penetration to be reliable (like LoRa does).
                    I think Z-Wave LR is going to be the next big push. It seems to have real and deliverable improvements, but the controllers will still have backward compatibility. We’ve all seen plenty of vaporware, but the Z-Wave Alliance seems to have a good plan - eventually
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

                    Comment


                      Has anyone been able to access the password protect page ?

                      https://homeseer.com/matter/

                      If so what account password have you used ? I tried MYHS password, my support password and my forum password and none of them can unlock the page

                      Or would anyone have the content and share the headline (dates, features)

                      Comment


                      • jon00
                        jon00 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need to get the attention of Mark macromark to answer this.

                      • goldriver
                        goldriver commented
                        Editing a comment
                        macromark, I have seen the above link wich seems to be a Q&A about Homeseer point of view and short term action in regards to Matter but I can't find a way to have access to the page.

                        Is this reserved to a specific Homeseer customer class or what ?

                        Anyway to share Homeseer toughts on this with all Homeseer community ?

                        Thanks jon00

                      • macromark
                        macromark commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Originally posted by goldriver View Post
                        macromark, I have seen the above link wich seems to be a Q&A about Homeseer point of view and short term action in regards to Matter but I can't find a way to have access to the page.

                        Is this reserved to a specific Homeseer customer class or what ?

                        Anyway to share Homeseer toughts on this with all Homeseer community ?

                        Thanks jon00
                        We're not quite ready to publish that page but yes, it will be a Q & A on Matter and HomeSeer.

                      Yes, we do plan to support Matter: https://homeseer.com/matter/
                      πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                        Zwave has become very reliable. Matter is vaporware.
                        I don't know that I'd call it 'vaporware'. Multiple manufacturers have/are releasing products that will be 'upgradable' to Matter (Schlage Connect + is one) once the standard is finalized. In talking to the manufacturers at CES and IBS it's obvious they are moving to Matter, it's just going to take a lot of time for it to gain a large market share.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by MongoNash View Post

                          I don't know that I'd call it 'vaporware'. Multiple manufacturers have/are releasing products that will be 'upgradable' to Matter (Schlage Connect + is one) once the standard is finalized. In talking to the manufacturers at CES and IBS it's obvious they are moving to Matter, it's just going to take a lot of time for it to gain a large market share.
                          Until you actually have product in hand, yes, it is vaporware. And the standard has already been formalized.

                          And all the folks here like myself that have been doing home automation for 20+ years are saying, people are acting like Matter is going to be the home automation savior that we've all been praying for... reality, once it gets here, might prove otherwise.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by TC1 View Post

                            Until you actually have product in hand, yes, it is vaporware. And the standard has already been formalized.

                            And all the folks here like myself that have been doing home automation for 20+ years are saying, people are acting like Matter is going to be the home automation savior that we've all been praying for... reality, once it gets here, might prove otherwise.
                            To be fair, it looks like it is riding on top of Zigbee... so it really is just an evolution, not anything particularly new.
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

                            Plug-Ins Enabled:
                            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X