Broadlink IR and RF Local Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadlink IR and RF Local Control

Broadlink makes a family of products at a reasonable price that can learn, import, and transmit IR codes from WiFi commands. The Pro models can also do the same for RF at various frequencies.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	39 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	1458468

I have added the Broadlink family of devices for non-cloud operation in version 5.15.0.0 of mcsMQTT. There are a variety of software integrations available that have become stale as new Broadlink products have been introduced. For my development testing I have been using the Broadlink RM4 Pro which is the current production for both IR and RF. Since I built upon the work of others with earlier generation Broadlink devices I expect backward compatibility. If not then we can figure it out. mcsMQTT supports Broadlink setup, IR learning, RF learning, and importing of known IR and RF codes. More is contained in the manual that is included with the download.

The Broadlink device establishes a connection with a server. In the mcsMQTT implementation the server is mcsMQTT. This means that those that desire cloud control using the Broadlink App rather than local control should not be using this integration.

mcsMQTT can connect to the AP that is advertised during the Broadlink setup process. This will establish the link between the mcsMQTT server and the Broadlink device client. An application is also included that will do only the part of the Broadlink setup that connects it with a local network.

I have been away with only a IR remote for testing. This means that RF has not yet been tested, but I do not expect any difficulty since the same methodology is used. I have also only had access to a Windows computer that has WiFi. I confirmed that the updated plugin runs on Linux, but I cannot evaluate the Linux operation as the Linux resource I have does not have WiFi to do the initial connection to the Broadlink AP. Next week for RF and Linux testing.

For the HS user, what is created is a HS device with an IR and RF feature. It will provide a dropdown selector to show each of the IR and RF codes that have been learned or imported from other sources. Making a selection will result in the Broadlink device transmitting the selected code. Control can be from HS, HS Events, or MQTT messages.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1892
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1460147

mcsMQTT 5.15.0.0
    http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_15_0_0.zip
    http://mcsSprinklers.com/HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_15_0_0.zip

Install instructions at the bottom of first post at https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...es-to-influxdb

Updates made in 5.15.1.0 to improve the RF learning and to include the temperature and humidity reporting if these sensors are attached to the Broadlink device. Manual updated to describe the updated RF learning process. Previously it was too difficult to transition from learning the RF frequency to learning the RF code. Now they are explicit steps with user interaction to distinguish first from second phase of learning.

There are three popular WiFi/RF bridges available to the HA community. At 433 Mhz is the Sonoff RF Bridge for $20. The mcsMQTT manual describes the process to update the firmware for MQTT operation. At both 315 MHz and 433 MHz for $40-$50 is Broadlink RM Pro. No firmware update is needed with the integration described in this thread. At a range of 305 to 930 MHz is Bond for $100. AlexBK developed a HS plugin for the this device. 433 Mhz is the dominant frequency for RF-controller products. USA also employs 315 MHz for some. There are other specialized frequencies used by Hunter, for example, in the same ISM band.

HS3 http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_15_1_0.zip
    HS4 http://mcsSprinklers.com/HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_15_1_0.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      Updates made in 5.15.1.0 to improve the RF learning and to include the temperature and humidity reporting if these sensors are attached to the Broadlink device. Manual updated to describe the updated RF learning process. Previously it was too difficult to transition from learning the RF frequency to learning the RF code. Now they are explicit steps with user interaction to distinguish first from second phase of learning.

There are three popular WiFi/RF bridges available to the HA community. At 433 Mhz is the Sonoff RF Bridge for $20. The mcsMQTT manual describes the process to update the firmware for MQTT operation. At both 315 MHz and 433 MHz for $40-$50 is Broadlink RM Pro. No firmware update is needed with the integration described in this thread. At a range of 305 to 930 MHz is Bond for $100. AlexBK developed a HS plugin for the this device. 433 Mhz is the dominant frequency for RF-controller products. USA also employs 315 MHz for some. There are other specialized frequencies used by Hunter, for example, in the same ISM band.

HS3 http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_15_1_0.zip
      HS4 http://mcsSprinklers.com/HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_15_1_0.zip
      Michael, I'm getting file not found on server for both links. Is it maybe just not finished uploading?
      -Wade

Comment

My upload bandwidth is very slow. You likely tried too early. I just did a click on the link and it started downloading.

Comment

My Broadlink RM4 Pro is broadcasting it's SSID as "Broadlink_WiFi_Devices" I've reset it multiple times - any way to get it recognized?

Comment

You need to connect your device to this SSID and then run the dedicated program in the downlaod package or enter your wifi network info in the TCP tab, IR/RF tab at the top and click the join network button. This process is described in the manual.

Actually the SSID it is broadcasting is not what the program is expecting BroadlinkProv. Looks like I will need to make this an input parameter in the plugin.

Comment

That would be great! Much appreciated Michael - looking forward to getting local control working!

Comment

Actually I was wrong about needing to update the plugin. BroadlinkProv is what my device sets up, but if yours sets up Broadlink_WiFi_Devices then connect your laptop to this SSID and then run the utility or do it from the plugin. The plugin is actually not involved with connecting to the Broadlink AP. It is only involved after the connection is made.

Comment

Well I was not able to get the RM4 Pro linked that way but not all is lost - I used the Broadlink App to start the setup and aborted just after it connected to my local WIFI. I was then able to look up the IP address and enter it into your plug-in and the connection was made!!! I was successful learning a few RF codes for a test. Much appreciated Michael - Thanks so very much!

Comment

Glad you have had success. I am trying to import IR codes from Pronto hex format for which there are sites with a large database.

My initial thought on the support was for a selected number of IR codes that could then be used in automation logic. I made no provisions to organize the IR codes by device. For example a set of codes for a TV, another for a Receiver, another for a Heater, etc. What is the extent of codes that you be using and would such organization be helpful or just add complexity that is not needed? When I was testing I typically named my learned codes as TV-power, TV-VolUp, etc. so I implicitly provided the organizatioin without asking user to enter a device field in addition to the code field.

Comment

Dear Michael.

I am on HS4 4.1.15.0 on raspberry. When I installed the mcsMQTT plugin (yesterday or the day before) , it was successful and showed up with version 5.14.3.6 with the 'update available' icon next to it. That is strange I thought... but well... that may be a valid situation. So I installed the available update (which should be 5.15.0.0) and it goes updating. All successful... however: the status remains 5.14.3.6 with the 'update available' icon next to it.
                      I just this minute executed the update once more, to be sure, and it still does what I described.

Another matter:
                      With this 'state' of affairs I tried to connect to a Broadlink Mini 4 (which I am exchanging now anyway for a Pro, I do want the RF capabilities after all)... but didn't succeed with the connection. Just to let you know that I think I had the same trouble as msriddle above.

Thanks for doing this... once I get this to work I think I'll be very grateful! :-) 🙏🏼

Comment

I thing there was an issue with versioning on 5.15.0.0. I expect to submit current version to HST soon. What most do is sideload it using updater override procedure outlined by HST and described at various places including the bottom of the first post at Direct Storage from HS Devices to InfluxDB - HomeSeer Message Board. Now on HS4 http://mcsSprinklers.com/HSPI_mcsMQTT_5_15_5_1.zip and HS3 http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_15_5_1.zip.

The process of joining the network may have other techniques in the smartphone than what I am using. The original approach was done in Python and then a port to .NET was done. I put the plugin's UI around it. I think the only modification I needed was in a low level socket option that worked on Windows, but was not supported on Linux Mono.

The second is I eliminated a check made to assure that internet was available and my code assumed internet was available. I did not see why internet needed to be available before a discovery request was made if the request was only going to be serviced by the Broadlink request on the local network. Perhaps the Broadlink devices needs to call China as part of the discovery process. If one is doing the discovery when an internet connection is not available to the computer doing the discovery then this may explain why it is not working.

In any case msriddle was insightful to use the smartphone to complete this part of the process.

Comment

I notice that Wallmart.com has the RM4C Mini for $16.89 with two week delivery. I ordered one to give me a sample size of two for testing the integration.

Comment

Is there a Broadlink model supporting multiple zones or should/can I use multiple units for that purpose?

Manually entering Pronto hex codes via the plugin is possible right?

Will probably order a unit for testing as I need to confirm if I can hack it and connect it to existing runs of IR transmitters (on Cat5) spread across my house.
                            (currently using USB-UIRT as per the other thread)

Comment

I am not aware of multi-zone unit. When I was using Ocelot for IR I setup a distribution block where the Ocelot effectively transmitted into a generic IR receiver and this was then routed to multiple wired IR emitters on the specific equipment that was being controlled. I still have the distribution system in place, but my source is now a Wemos D1 doing IR or the Broadlink.

Comment

Working...
                              X