No announcement yet.

Setting up BLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seems to indicate that the Bluetooth driver believes the interface should not be active or at not available to other applications. I have the USB adapter shown in the manual. I also have a Dell XPS desktop that has Bluetooth built in. Both provide the desired operation. Do you have a specific link to where you obtained your Bluetooth interface. Perhaps I can get one and see if I learn anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      This seems to indicate that the Bluetooth driver believes the interface should not be active or at not available to other applications. I have the USB adapter shown in the manual. I also have a Dell XPS desktop that has Bluetooth built in. Both provide the desired operation. Do you have a specific link to where you obtained your Bluetooth interface. Perhaps I can get one and see if I learn anything about it.
      Thanks, Michael.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TRENDnet Low Energy Micro Bluetooth 4.0 Class I USB 2.0 with Distance up to 100Meters/330 Feet. Compatible with Win 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP Classic Bluetooth, and stereo headset, TBW-106UB

I just noticed that it doesn't mention compatibility with Windows 10. I don't think that matters, though. I can find no way to install this device without installing Blue Soleil software.

I will probably buy a different one, such as the one you have in your manual.
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
      "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

I am going to pass on buying this interface. It is prior generation 4.0 technology so does not have a path in the future. I see Bluetooth 5.0 for around $10 on Amazon. Long range versions for $20. The one I purchased last year is 5.0 but is no longer available from Amazon. I think it was a Lightning Deal so likely being closed out at that time. I think the mcsMQTT thread that existed at the time the integration was being done last year has other specific models that were also used with success.

Comment

I am going to pass on buying this interface. It is prior generation 4.0 technology so does not have a path in the future. I see Bluetooth 5.0 for around $10 on Amazon. Long range versions for $20. The one I purchased last year is 5.0 but is no longer available from Amazon. I think it was a Lightning Deal so likely being closed out at that time. I think the mcsMQTT thread that existed at the time the integration was being done last year has other specific models that were also used with success.
          Okay. Can you suggest a long-range bluetooth 5.0 that might work?
          "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

I ordered one with external antennae and should arrive tomorrow. Amazon.com: Long Range USB Bluetooth 5.0 Adapter for PC USB Bluetooth Adapter Wireless Audio Dongle for Headphones Speakers, 328FT / 100M,5.0 Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver for Windows 10/8 / 8.1/7: Electronics Several reviews indicated difficulty with drivers. I will let you know what I experience.

The one that looks similar to what I obtained last year is Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for PC,Techkey USB Mini Bluetooth 5.0 EDR Dongle for Computer Desktop Wireless Transfer for Laptop Bluetooth Headphones Headset Speakers Keyboard Mouse Printer Windows 10/8.1/8/7: Electronics I did not research it beyond the general description.

Comment

Mike, what do you usually connect these to? The HS server locally, or a Raspberry Pi, etc...? I am less interested in terms of fixing location than looking at device presence. I think I would need 3-4 locations to deploy these across our property...

Comment

HS4 plugin does presence. HS3 plugin does location with presence inferred if location is outside the 100 x 100 grid.

The intent of the HS4 plugin was to run on the HS box as this provided the simplest interface. It can also be run remotely on RPi. I looked at mcsMQTT.pdf and it seems I lost the RPi/remote description. I will need to research some of the message board threads and the source to properly document what was implemented. I know multiple beacons are tracked, but I do not recall what I did with the RPi and the ability to have multiple RPi reporting. I think the design does support it, but I need to look deeper to confirm. Since it is remote I suspect multiple RPi should not be a problem.

Comment

Michael:
                  Thanks. I will wait to learn from your experience with the first device. Elliott

Comment

fresnoboy The description for Linux/RPi implementation was integrated into 17.16.6 section of the mcsMQTT manual. There is also a thread at BLEMQTT running as a service on another linux machine - HomeSeer Message Board that has some info about it.

In essence the RPi reports via MQTT the beacon status. It accepts the HS4 plugin parameters setup on the TCP page BLE Beacon tab for controlling beacon reporting. Multiple RPi can be used as long as they share a MQTT broker. mcsMQTT supports brokers on three different networks so it is possible to have a WAN and LAN operation if desired for very remote presence detection.

Comment

fresnoboy The description for Linux/RPi implementation was integrated into 17.16.6 section of the mcsMQTT manual. There is also a thread at BLEMQTT running as a service on another linux machine - HomeSeer Message Board that has some info about it.

In essence the RPi reports via MQTT the beacon status. It accepts the HS4 plugin parameters setup on the TCP page BLE Beacon tab for controlling beacon reporting. Multiple RPi can be used as long as they share a MQTT broker. mcsMQTT supports brokers on three different networks so it is possible to have a WAN and LAN operation if desired for very remote presence detection.
                      Michael: This looks like a solution for me, if I can't get BLE to work on my Windows 10 machine.

Comment

I received the "long distance" USB adapter that has an external antennae. I installed the driver on the CD, but to complete the install I had to disable the Intel Bluetooth that was on my Dell laptop motherboard.

I had success running it. Paired with the Feasycom beacon that was in the mcsMQTT document it went out of range at about 350 ft going through house walls and forested path. The other one that was in the mcsMQTT manual that is no longer available had a range of about 150 ft vs. 350 ft. The Intel one that was built into the laptop motherboard was about 200 ft. The external antennae does seem to make a difference, but for most applications 150 ft vs. 350 ft may not make any difference for "at home" vs. "away".

Comment

I received the "long distance" USB adapter that has an external antennae. I installed the driver on the CD, but to complete the install I had to disable the Intel Bluetooth that was on my Dell laptop motherboard.

I had success running it. Paired with the Feasycom beacon that was in the mcsMQTT document it went out of range at about 350 ft going through house walls and forested path. The other one that was in the mcsMQTT manual that is no longer available had a range of about 150 ft vs. 350 ft. The Intel one that was built into the laptop motherboard was about 200 ft. The external antennae does seem to make a difference, but for most applications 150 ft vs. 350 ft may not make any difference for "at home" vs. "away".
                          Very good. Thanks.

Comment

Michael: I finally got it to work on my Windows 10 machine! Encouraged by your success, I decided to give it another try. I wrote before that when I deleted the software, Blue Soleil, which installed the drivers, it also removed the BT USB device from the Device Manager. I thought that it was also removing the driver, so I copied the driver to another folder, then deleted the program again. I removed the BT USB device and then re-inserted it and voila! The driver was automatically installed (it never was deleted, when I deleted the program) and now mcsMQTT has full control over the BT device. I have created a device from the association table and it reports In Range or Out of Range as it should. Tomorrow, I will test the range of beacon detection. Elliott

Comment

Working...
                            X