Shelly Plus 2PM Device Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Michael,

I have updated to the latest version 6006, and tested, but the status does not quite seem right. The buttons are working ok, and I see the graphic change, but when using the control buttons in HS4 the status text does not update to match. Also when using the open/close and slider controls in the Shelly web interface Homeseer does not update to match.

I have attached the mcsMQTT debug file and some screen shots to show you what is happening.​

Bruce

Attached Files

Comment

When I posted with the screenshot I did observe that the status text was not showing. Only the icons. I fixed this in the source. It could also be fixed manually by adding the text on the HS Devices Status/Graphics tab.

In the debug file I see current_pos with values of 0, 100, 97, 98 and null. In my test case I used 77 and 77 is what shows for the slider value status. Can you assess a specific case where the status is not reported with the same value as actual position? MQTT Explorer and Debug for the same event could help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1575663

Comment

It seems as though status is not updating at all now. The graphics icons, status text, and position percentage are not changing at all when I click on the control buttons in HS4 and on the Shelly Web interface. The roller shutter is opening and closing OK.

I have attached a ZIP with the debug and some screen shots of MQTT Explorer and HomeSeer.
        Attached Files

Comment

I suspect you have the MQTT Page, General Tab, Inbound Management Section, Topic Discovery row set to the middle radio to only subscribe to associated topics. I had subscribed to the wrong topic for the Gen2 Shelly devices in this case. It is fixed in the attached. It also have the update to include the status text. For this to be realized the Shelly device topics need to be obsoleted and then rediscovered.

If I am wrong about our Topic Discovery settings then I do not understand why the Shelly device topics are not being seen by mcsMQTT. Another note is that the debug contains HS4 controlling the Cover to first 58% and then to 85% about 4 minutes apart.

I have experienced some failure mode on my laptop where execution is painfully slow. Since I am away from home I do not any other options but try to limp along with it until I return home next week.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Michael, this is almost perfect now.

The only thing I see wrong is that when the roller shutter is fully closed, the current_pos percentage goes blank instead of 0 %.
            Otherwise, both the state text (i.e. open / closed / stopped / opening / closing /etc.) and the current position percentage are reporting correctly.

Debug is attached, but this can wait until you resolve your laptop issue.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ah I see the problem. In HS4 for the shelly current_pos status/graphics the start value for the control should be zero not one. See attached pic.

Name:	image.png
Views:	117
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1575990

Comment

I changed the range to start at 0 and added the % to the position value. Probably easier to make the edits from Devices page than rebuilding the HS devices. Update attached.

Attached Files

Comment

This setup is now working quite well, however I have a further question on how the mcsMQTT options for Inbound Subscription Management should be left set for everyday use now that the setup process has been completed.

I have noticed that for Shelly devices the status of the Shelly device features in HomeSeer (e.g. output on/off, current, power, etc.) do not update unless I have the Inbound Subscription Topic Discovery set to "Discover All Published MQTT Topics" as follows. The button commands and events seem to work ok, just the status is not working.

Name:	image.png
Views:	111
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1578604

This is not the case for my other MQTT devices, they seem to be updating ok in Homeseer with Topic Discovery = "Listen for Only Associated and MQTT Trigger Topics".

Is this normal for the Shelly devices, or is something not configured right?

I notice that my MQTT Receive not-Associated Count is growing all the time e.g. over 6000 received today so far. Will this cause performance problems if I leave Inbound Subscription Topic Discovery set to "Discover All Published MQTT Topics"

Comment

The normal operation when not adding new devices is for the top radio in your screenshot to be in the middle position. I did see a problem with how shellyplus subscriptions in this middle position was not totally correct, but the mistake should affect another topic and not the shellyplus one. In any case it is fixed in 6.0.2.0 which was reuploaded per mcsMQTT Change Log (HS4 & HS3) - HomeSeer Message Board. The updater package can be used or the two files that were changed on Dec 3, 2022 can be extracted and put in \bin\mcsMQTT subfolder of HS.​

The growth in new topics is of interest. Can you provide either \data\mcsMQTT Debug.txt or \data\mcsMQTT.db as a zipped post or email to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net to see what type of topics are growing? Alternately if you can identify the topic pattern that is growing that should work too. It is common for Bluetooth to do this with randomized MAC addresses being used for security.

Comment

I have installed the ver 6.0.2.0 and that is better.

It would be great to sort out why the continual growth in new topics. I have zipped and emailed you my debug files.

Comment

I looked at your debug and what was not expected is the broker disconnecting and then reconnecting every five minutes. A symptom like the heartbeat not being received on the loopback to the internal broker. I made changes and also left some additional debug in 6.0.3.0 mcsMQTT Change Log (HS4 & HS3) - HomeSeer Message Board

I did not see anything unusual in mcsMQTT.db. I suspect that you have the General tab setting to remove unassociated topics on shutdown so the database likely never accumulated very much. They would still be in the debug file, but I did not see rapid growth for the duration of the file. You should be able to look at the Association table to identify the topics that are being added over time and causing the growth. Once the culprit is known then a corrective action can be taken.

Comment

I notice that my MQTT Receive not-Associated Count is growing all the time e.g. over 6000 received today so far
                          I first interpreted this to mean the number of entries in the Association table. It seems to be the MQTT Statistics that are being referenced. A large number for this does not have any negative impact for long term performance. It just means that there are topics being received that are being ignored with minor impact on CPU usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                            The normal operation when not adding new devices is for the top radio in your screenshot to be in the middle position. I did see a problem with how shellyplus subscriptions in this middle position was not totally correct, but the mistake should affect another topic and not the shellyplus one. In any case it is fixed in 6.0.2.0 which was reuploaded per mcsMQTT Change Log (HS4 & HS3) - HomeSeer Message Board. The updater package can be used or the two files that were changed on Dec 3, 2022 can be extracted and put in \bin\mcsMQTT subfolder of HS.​

The growth in new topics is of interest. Can you provide either \data\mcsMQTT Debug.txt or \data\mcsMQTT.db as a zipped post or email to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net to see what type of topics are growing? Alternately if you can identify the topic pattern that is growing that should work too. It is common for Bluetooth to do this with randomized MAC addresses being used for security.
                            I am having this issue with version 6.0.5.0

When set to "Discover All Published MQTT Topics" everything works like a charm.
                            When set to "Listen for Only Associated and MQTT Trigger Topics" it seems to work for around 12 hours or so then stops working.

Devices in question are gen2, plusi4dc & pro2pm.

I have been ripping my hair out with this. gen 1 devices seem to work as expected. Even though leaving as "Discover All Published MQTT Topics" doesn't appear to cause a problem, My OCD want allow me to accept this knowing its wrong

Please help 🙏

Comment

It is likely the subscribe list neglected to include the gen2 topics. I am traveling now but will look later. Version 6.3.1.0 was submitted so should be available through Updater soon. It can also be downloaded from the bottom of the first post in the HS4 mcsMQTT forum.

I do not recall if this was addressed in the later version, but the subject is familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                                It is likely the subscribe list neglected to include the gen2 topics. I am traveling now but will look later. Version 6.3.1.0 was submitted so should be available through Updater soon. It can also be downloaded from the bottom of the first post in the HS4 mcsMQTT forum.

I do not recall if this was addressed in the later version, but the subject is familiar.
                                Thanks for your reply. Have have updated to latest version. Will I have to remove current subscribed topics and then start again?

Comment

Working...
                                X