6 button keypadlinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 button keypadlinc

I found a very old post for HS3 describing kpl functions, but I can't seem to make sense of it. I have a 6 button keypad where the top and bottom buttons function as on/off for the connected load and the a, b, c and d buttons turn on/off a specific room. The programming is stored in the insteon devices and the keypad works perfectly, but with the keypad added to HS4, I can only control the connected load from HS4. Using the power buttons for a,b,c and d do nothing other than toggle the status of their respective button lights on the keypad. I can probably just create 4 groups and trigger them directly to implement the same function, but would really like to use the switches listed below the root device to toggle the lights.

So far this seems to be my only real 'problem' I've encountered. Setting up HS4 (linux) and the insteon plugin has otherwise been a breeze. OpenHAB was quite a bit less intuitive, and a bug in the android app caused me to give up and try HS4. I'm glad that I did!

please enable the 'sync linked responder devices' option on the kpl MNS insteon tab. this should resolve the control issue from the HS UI
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thank you. I've enabled the 'sync linked responder devices' on the keypad device, and am seeing what I assume is unexpected behavior. The 'B' button started to function as expected, but the A, C & D buttons are still (not) working as before. Also, my 'C' button has stopped controlling it's assigned devices even when I use the keypad. I tried removing the sync linked responder devices option to see if it would restore function to my C button, but it has not. I do notice that the 2 devices that should be controlled by the C button have solid red lights on them now. Any ideas/suggestions?

Comment

the setting "sync linked responder devices" does not change links; it actually uses them to help control the other devices from the UI.

I would delete and recreate the links between the kpl and other devices.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Understood, thank you.

So you recommend deleting all of the links on the keypad, then click on Program Device for Homeseer and then manually adding the links to the new groups I've created in the plugin?

Comment

can you post the links you have in the kpl. lets review first

you can delete any links that indicate an unreferenced group
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to help me thru this. I've attached a screenshot of the links on the kpl

Also, to make sure I understand it correctly - are these links completely separate from the 'links' created when manually linking devices via their set buttons or does that process simply create one of these links?

Comment

links are links regardless of how they are created. if you create them manually on switches just run the read links and settings to pull in these links into the plugin

if you have all your devices registered in the plugin, i would delete any link that mentions unreferenced or unknown in the description.

you should be able to have each kpl button control a separate device, and control that button from the hs ui to control the linked device. you must have the 'sync linked responder devices' enabled.

work on each button one by one to get it working before moving onto the next.

if you are trying to get the any of the kpl buttons to also control the kpl load itself, that is a separate issue.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                  links are links regardless of how they are created. if you create them manually on switches just run the read links and settings to pull in these links into the plugin

if you have all your devices registered in the plugin, i would delete any link that mentions unreferenced or unknown in the description.

you should be able to have each kpl button control a separate device, and control that button from the hs ui to control the linked device. you must have the 'sync linked responder devices' enabled.

work on each button one by one to get it working before moving onto the next.

if you are trying to get the any of the kpl buttons to also control the kpl load itself, that is a separate issue.
                  Thanks for the explanation. So based on my screenshot above, if I delete link Reports [the forum converted my text - that is link number 10] (the first one in the list) button A would no longer function when pressed on the keypad since there would no links connecting kpl button A to the kitchen light? I would then either have to re-create the link via manual programming on the devices and/or by re-creating the links via your plugin? Am I correct in assuming that the best practice is to re-create the link via the device set switches (in case of downtime on the HS machine and to facilitate normal use of the physical kpl button) then use the Read Links button to pull those links into the device in the plugin and then re-create any desired groups, links, etc for software control in HS?

None of the scenes/link groups on buttons A,B,C,D include the on/off buttons controlling the load on the 6 button kpl, but I do wish to continue to use those buttons physically as well as via HS. From the way I am reading your response I don't think that is an issue (since the load buttons aren't going to be controlled by the A,B,C,D buttons) but just want to be sure before I start making any more changes to this device. As important as it is to get working via HS, it is more important to ensure that ALL of the kpl buttons continue to work as they do currently - without that, my children won't have a way to control many of the lights downstairs!

Comment

I'm seeing some unusual behavior when trying to reprogram the links on this device. I tried deleting link 10 (referenced in the posts above) and then re-added it manually via the set switches. This restored button A's control over the kitchen light switch, and the light is still controllable from the HS4 interface. I then clicked on Read device links & settings (since the new link wasn't listed in the plugin) and it re-created the missing link for Button A, but the link description still says "Button A controls Kitchen Kitchen Light Unknown Group/Button Name # 3 (57.E8.10)"

I'm not sure if this has any relationship to the issues I am experiencing, but when I use the Read link feature, it goes thru 27 links before presenting the continue button, but the plugin only has 24 links listed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hs4_readdevice.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1541135

Click image for larger version

Name:	hs4_kpl.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1541136

Comment

the delta between 27 and 24 are unused links that have been deleted. this is normal.

i would delete the links to the unregistered device groups (eg 31.32.f0), and unknown groups

at some level it might be better to factory reset the KPL, run the 'program device for homeseer' and then recreate your other custom links
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                        the delta between 27 and 24 are unused links that have been deleted. this is normal.
                        Understood, thank you. Is there any way to purge these deleted links? It may be unrelated, but I notice that while my HS4 on commands seem to respond nearly instantly, off commands are frequently delayed 5-10 seconds

i would delete the links to the unregistered device groups (eg 31.32.f0), and unknown groups
                        I've been hesitant to do so based on my previous issues, but I'm sure you are correct & I will try this next.

31.32.F0 is actually my OLD hub that finally bit the dust back in early march. Since I had already replaced the internal capacitors on it 3x, it wasn't eligible for warranty replacement, but was lucky enough to get SmartHome to sell me a refurbed unit from their stock.

at some level it might be better to factory reset the KPL, run the 'program device for homeseer' and then recreate your other custom links
                        Agreed. If deleting all of the old links doesn't fix it, I'll try resetting the KPL. It seems odd that when I re-create device links it continues to reference an Unknown Group. Perhaps the reset will correct this.

I'll report back with progress in hopes my journey thru this issue can help someone down the road. Thank you for all of your help so far.

Comment

deleted links do not cause any problem (its just an unused entry in the link table waiting to be reused). you would have to reset the device and reprogram it to remove the unused link space. its not worth it.
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I've gone ahead and deleted all of the unknown links, and have also tried deleting the device from HS4 and re-creating it from scratch. This has corrected the functionality in 3 of 4 UI/app buttons - the buttons on the KPL itself continue to function correctly.

Button C (living room) controls 1 plug in lamp module, and 1 dimmable wall plug. When using the C button on the kpl, both respond. When using the group control in the UI that has been created, both respond. If I address each individually using their direct controls in HS4 they function properly. When I try to use the controls within the kpl's device control on the UI/App, only 1 of the 2 devices responds. They are programmed the same as button D which also controls 2 devices and is responsive to the UI controls. The other thing (unsure if related) is that when using the UI kpl A,B,C,D buttons, response is very slow. It takes about 5 seconds for the first device to respond, and then there is another 2-3 second delay before the 2nd device responds.

When I try to control button C from the kpl device on the UI, I see a log entry that looks OK:

4/30/2022 7:52:42 AM
                            HomeSeer
                            Device Control
                            Device: Downstairs Hallway Hallway Keypad - Root Living Room Lights - Button C to On (101) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Does sync linked responders need to be enabled on both the keypad and the controlled devices? I've only got it enabled on the kpl.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kpl_progress.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.0 KB ID:	1541396

Any final ideas before I try factory resetting the kpl and trying again from scratch?

Comment

no, you dont need to enable the 'sync linked..." on responder devices

lets try the following
                              enabled detailed logging the plugin settings page
                              try to use the controls within the kpl's device control on the UI/App

then post an hs log snippet of just the entries for that set of transactions . do the following to download the current hs log and then just delete out the entries before you started the test

To post an HS log if you have issues or get errors

- Goto to the hs tools/log menu, Export the log of the transactions, download it and attach it to your post

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X