This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random lights turning on...solved

Still having an issue with lights randomly turning on - usually a half dozen all at once - full brightness. Nothing in HS4 logs / Insteon debug indicating this is caused by HS4 or plugin. Last night every light came on at around 9pm. All exactly the same time. This would not be the case with sequential commands such as coming from HS4.

Leaning towards something in the hub.

So - should I factory reset the hub. I have been using the default username and password anyway should should be fine there. I have the mac to IP address reserved so to get the same address.

I am concerned however as to the firmware reversion back to original, which apparently happens on factory reset.
    2.8 - 4117 is the factory version.

Are there any tools available to monitor all insteon traffic to find wayward messages - basically like what wireshark for communications protocols does. I have an RF usb insteon dongle - wonder if you can set it to promiscuous listen all mode.

This may work - looks like it captures all Insteon traffic - https://www.insteonsoftware.com/index.html

A side topic - on the hub, would it ever be possible to have the plugin turn the red light to green when connected to the plugin - would make quick monitoring of the plugin status. I dug through the hub docs and did find the commands to control the LED.

Thank you

Warren

(2)
    Originally posted by warren@wcnjsmith.com View Post
    Still having an issue with lights randomly turning on - usually a half dozen all at once - full brightness. Nothing in HS4 logs / Insteon debug indicating this is caused by HS4 or plugin. Last night every light came on at around 9pm. All exactly the same time. This would not be the case with sequential commands such as coming from HS4.

Leaning towards something in the hub.

So - should I factory reset the hub. I have been using the default username and password anyway should should be fine there. I have the mac to IP address reserved so to get the same address.

I am concerned however as to the firmware reversion back to original, which apparently happens on factory reset.
    2.8 - 4117 is the factory version.

Are there any tools available to monitor all insteon traffic to find wayward messages - basically like what wireshark for communications protocols does. I have an RF usb insteon dongle - wonder if you can set it to promiscuous listen all mode.

This may work - looks like it captures all Insteon traffic - https://www.insteonsoftware.com/index.html

A side topic - on the hub, would it ever be possible to have the plugin turn the red light to green when connected to the plugin - would make quick monitoring of the plugin status. I dug through the hub docs and did find the commands to control the LED.

Thank you

Warren
    (1) The plugin doesn't care about the general hub firmware version (that was for the insteon app only). the plugin only talks to the internal plm which has its own fw that will not be downgraded in a factory reset. please give it a try if you want. the only other option to remove schedules is the insteon-terminal app mentioned in this forum.

Factory Reset Insteon Hub (2014)
    1. Disconnect Insteon Hub from power
    2. Press and hold the set button while reconnecting power. Insteon Hub will emit a long beep.
    3. When the long beep ends, release the set button. Insteon Hub will double-beep and after 30 seconds, Insteon Hub will beep again.
    4. Power cycle Insteon Hub by disconnecting and then reconnecting it to power.

after a manual factory reset, you will need to run the interface/update interface to reprogram the link database in the hub.

please post your reset results here

(2) post a link to the docs about the led and i will check it out
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Factory reset - all came back on line with no problem. Interesting however the hub, once reset completed and rebooted it issued a Group 254 ON command - and yes, the lights with group 254 turned on.

So now to remove group 254 from the devices and see what happens.

Here is the hub doc link. I may have misread the documentation - page 52 53. It may be referencing the hub command to a device to illuminate the device LED.

http://www2.wcnjsmith.com:8080/Media...-062013-en.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by warren@wcnjsmith.com View Post
        Factory reset - all came back on line with no problem. Interesting however the hub, once reset completed and rebooted it issued a Group 254 ON command - and yes, the lights with group 254 turned on.

So now to remove group 254 from the devices and see what happens.

Here is the hub doc link. I may have misread the documentation - page 52 53. It may be referencing the hub command to a device to illuminate the device LED.

http://www2.wcnjsmith.com:8080/Media...-062013-en.pdf
        did you run the interface/update interface after the reset? it like it based on the results, just wanted to confirm.

group 254 is the global group that the plugin registers with every switch. i try not to register outlets, iolincs, etc.

you can delete the link for each device if you want, but if you run the program device for homeseer it will re-add that link.

have you responded to the reset poll? if not, please do so or update your reponse if possible

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...ur-insteon-hub

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

still having the issue of random devices turning on. Yesterday, I installed the latest insteon version. Upon restart random lights turned on. However nothing in the log indicated that these lights were turned on by the plug in. I then stopped the HS4 service, restarted, but could not reproduce the problem. Hub has been factory reset multiple times. Runnign latest version of HS4 and Insteon.

ITs the same devices that get turned on each time. They are dome that are the DIN rail dimmers, some are just dimmer switches. I have cleaned up any dead links so all looks clean on the devices.

I was thinking about running wireshark to look at the tcp packets between HS4 and the hub, however since this happens so randomly it may be a futile logging effort.

Here is a wireshark capture running with conversation between HS4 and the hub Click image for larger version

Name:	wireshark Insteon .jpg
Views:	193
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1546750

Thanks to all

Warren

Comment

make sure to run the plugin interface/update interface after a factory reset

you could factory reset those devices, and then run the program device for homeseer again. you do no need to delete them from the plugin

enabled detailed logging on the plugin settings page and see if that captures anything

also check any Events you created

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Just so you feel better, I have one switch that turns on sporadically. I can't prove it, but it's probably circuit noise.

As Mark indicated, running detailed logging will eliminate Insteon protocol interventions. Running WireShark at this point is not beneficial IMO (it can be, but not for your situation).

Shots in the dark:
              • Are the 6 devices all on the same electrical circuit?
              • Have you tried resetting those 6 devices and reprogramming them? I have had one situation with a rogue device. Everything looked fine from an Insteon point of view. In desperation, did a hardware reset of the switch, problem gone. Now, the same situation with 6 devices would be unusual, but who knows what happens during brown outs
              • Run a 'Display interface links'
              Good luck

Comment

from my post # 6
                have you tried a factory reset on the device? Then just run the 'program device for homeseer' to relink it. do no delete the device from the plugin.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Half dozen lights randomly came on this morning. Fortunately had a wireshark trace running. I saw a message that was inconsistent with the usual get status messages. Having a bit of trouble decoding it however

Usual status messages - 3?02642b8dd320a1900=i=3 - I assume the 19 and 00 are related to the command to get status of the specific device

Here is one that came across about the time of the random lights turning on - 3?02620000FECA1100 I believe the 11 00 is the command to turn on a device however 00 would indicate zero brightness ?
                  No activity was happening on any of the HS events at this time

Or perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree and decoding the messages incorrectly.

I have however reset the devices, even fully deleted them then on HS and the plugin and reenrolled them per the advice in prior messages. I do have a new hub on order (well new used) and will try that as well.

After this I now have turn on debug logging to see if we can see anything more.

Many thanks

Warren

Click image for larger version

Name:	random lights on capture at time.png
Views:	175
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	1547256

Comment

I manually sent the command that I captured in wireshark - GET /3?02620000FECA1100=I=3

Yes, indeed the same 'random' lights came on. Seems that indeed The plugin is very occasionally sending this packet - once every few days it occurs .

Frame 2101881: 186 bytes on wire (1488 bits), 186 bytes captured (1488 bits) on interface \Device\NPF_{BE20422A-04FA-45DE-8465-5839DB188653}, id 0
                    Ethernet II, Src: Microsof_00:be:01 (00:15:5d:00:be:01), Dst: Smartlab_4a:8d:bd (00:0e:f3:4a:8d:bd)
                    Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 10.0.0.211, Dst: 10.0.0.123
                    Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 65243, Dst Port: 25105, Seq: 1, Ack: 1, Len: 132
                    Source Port: 65243
                    Destination Port: 25105
                    [Stream index: 147781]
                    [Conversation completeness: Complete, WITH_DATA (31)]
                    [TCP Segment Len: 132]
                    Sequence Number: 1 (relative sequence number)
                    Sequence Number (raw): 2281471029
                    [Next Sequence Number: 133 (relative sequence number)]
                    Acknowledgment Number: 1 (relative ack number)
                    Acknowledgment number (raw): 1228355754
                    0101 .... = Header Length: 20 bytes (5)
                    Flags: 0x018 (PSH, ACK)
                    Window: 65392
                    [Calculated window size: 65392]
                    [Window size scaling factor: -2 (no window scaling used)]
                    Checksum: 0x15ec [unverified]
                    [Checksum Status: Unverified]
                    Urgent Pointer: 0
                    [Timestamps]
                    [SEQ/ACK analysis]
                    TCP payload (132 bytes)
                    Hypertext Transfer Protocol
                    GET /3?02620000FECA0000=I=3 HTTP/1.1\r\n
                    [Expert Info (Chat/Sequence): GET /3?02620000FECA0000=I=3 HTTP/1.1\r\n]
                    [GET /3?02620000FECA0000=I=3 HTTP/1.1\r\n]
                    [Severity level: Chat]
                    [Group: Sequence]
                    Request Method: GET
                    Request URI: /3?02620000FECA0000=I=3
                    Request Version: HTTP/1.1
                    User-Agent: Insteon\r\n
                    Authorization: Basic RG9yYW41ODM6QlZ6UUlvRVg=\r\n
                    Host: 10.0.0.123:25105\r\n
                    \r\n
                    [Full request URI: http://10.0.0.123:25105/3?02620000FECA0000=I=3]
                    [HTTP request 1/1]
                    [Response in frame: 2101884]

Comment

Please correlate the wireshark time with the hs log.

the only commands the plugins sends are status polling commands and those are easily disabled/.

the plugin does not send commands by itself. something must be invoking it.

or some other application/system talking to the insteon hub
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I did see this message in the log at the time of the Wireshark captured message. Only once did I see this message in today's log

5/22/2022 09:52:40
                        Insteon
                        Info
                        TransmitGroupMsg called for device code: Group:254, Hub Group 254

5/22/2022 09:52:39
                        Insteon
                        Info
                        TransmitGroupMsg called for device code: Group:254, Hub Group 254

5/22/2022 09:52:39
                        Insteon
                        Info
                        Processing SetIOMulti for Insteon Group - Group Controller Cmd: 0

5/22/2022 09:52:38
                        Insteon
                        Info
                        Processing SetIOMulti for Insteon Group - Group Controller Cmd: 0

Comment

that looks like the insteon global group. are you triggering that somewhere

To post an HS log if you have issues or get errors (Do not copy and post the log, its unreadable)
                          - Goto to the hs tools/log menu, Export the log of the transactions, download it and attach it to your post
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Only 3 events set up - sunrise, sunset and an 11pm shut off. No other triggers. Simple set up. No groups either. Wondering if there are no groups set up that perhaps after a period of time this happens - especially since its Group 254

I have turned off polling just to see if that was contributing.

This only happens randomly - every few days

Comment

did you every factory reset the hub and run the plugin interface/update interface?
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X