X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steveo369
    replied
    The alternate to creating direct individual links and "Sync Linked Responder Devices" is to create a Group for each Controller device you have in the multi-way switch. This approach is more similar to how this situation would have been setup using the Insteon app using one or more Scenes.

I have a 3-switch (4-way) configuration for my Entry Lights, and I've labeled my switches as Entry Lightswitch 1-Main (this is the load switch), Entry Lightswitch 2, and Entry Lightswitch 3. I've created (3) MNS Insteon Groups (Entry Lights, Entry Lights 2, and Entry Lights 3), each Group uses one of the switches as a Controller. This 3-Group configuration creates all of the local links required to keep things in sync when physically pressing the switches.

For virtual/remote control, I use the Entry Lights Group, and I review/motor Entry Lightswitch 1-Main to determine if the lights are actually On or Off. I have hidden the other Groups in HS4/HSMobile.

In the Insteon App, this could have been developed with one Scene (with all (3) switches being Both Controller/Responder), but due to the current limitations of MNS Insteon, only one Controller can be assigned per Group.

Pros with this approach -
    • Fast/instant response from the switches and the load, especially during local control.
    • Only need to manage 3 Groups instead of (6) cross links spread across (3) devices. Individual link management can become a bit cumbersome if you have many devices you're trying to sync.
    Cons with this approach -
    • Group Controllers have a status in HS4 - you have to kind of ignore this, because depending on which switch was physically pressed last, the GC status will drop out of sync. (Insteon Scenes did not have a status, they only sent commands, so this 'feature' of MNS Groups is different)
    • Using one of the HS4 device switches virtually will cause it to fall out of sync with the other switches in the multi-way. It also won't turn off the controlled lights unless it's the switch that's actually on the Load.
    • Have to create and manage (3) Groups.

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    the " Sync Linked Responder Devices" sends individual commands (just to sync the physical switches and hs device) which is slower than using a group to turn on all the linked devices at once

Leave a comment:

• mnsandler
    replied
    if you enable the sync linked responder devices setting on both devices, it will help keep both devices in sync

Click image for larger version

Name:	mns insteon tab.png
Views:	143
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1545567

Leave a comment:

• ScottS
    started a topic 2 or 3 linked Insteon switches

2 or 3 linked Insteon switches

Hello,

so I have 2 Insteon light switches controlling the same light. I have set them both up with the plug-in and can turn both switches on and off independently. One of them controls the light on and off. The other turns on and off but does not control the light. Is there a way to link both switches so they both control the light? The two devices are linked together meaning when I turn one on the other turns on or off when I manually click the switch on either switch. But when I use the HomeSeer app it only works on one of the devices.

I hope that makes sense.

scott
Working...
X