One more thing - 2 dimmer switches control one light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thing - 2 dimmer switches control one light

I am certain the answer is in the forum, But I have not found it, can you point me in the right direction
    I have 2 insteon Dimmer switches that control 1 light
    Switch 1 and switch 2
    here is switch A Shower sitch A
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch a dimmer dual control.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1547989
    and nd here is the detail under that tab

Name:	xync.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1547988

So I click on "Sync Linked Responder Devices"
    Then on Shower Switch B, What do I do?
    right now I have both linkled and synced to each other and I cant turn off lights even manually
    so once again I got lost
    Attached Files

How do you have these wired?
    One should be the "master" that has its output connected to the light, and the other should have its output capped off and not connected to anything. You should have them cross linked. I don't think that you should be using the associated device feature at all, since the cross linking should better take care of that. I can imagine conflicting commands going out. You could also try it without sync linked devices checked on either device.

Comment

definitely dont use the linked device. that is an hs4 feature that i have no idea what it does.

if you are trying to setup a 3-way circuit , cross link the devices, and check sync linked devices on both switches.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

And after you’ve done all this, in my experience, you still will not be able to control this light as part of a group via Alexa (for example). It’s strange, because you could always do so before the apocalypse of Insteon, and you can control the device by itself, even with voice, but when you include it in a group, it will not fire with the other devices in the group. Works just fine, otherwise, including the capped master physically controlling the loaded slave.

Comment

for the best response, always control the main/load switch from the hs ui, mobile app or alexa, and let the plugin manage the responder devices.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

ugh ok I have one set of dimmers working, all good, the second set
            2 switches, linked, when I turn on light, it goes on at 50% then 100% then back to 50% ihave checked everything

Comment

make sure the default on level (for each device) and link on-level are the same all around

default on level can be set on this tab from the HS device page

Name:	mns insteon tab.png
Views:	142
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1548527 ​
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

3 way dimmer switch - Insteon - with a traveler wire connecting the two, so basically i can turn on or off from either switch but not through homeseer
                Still can't get it to work right, It i pres on in Homeseer and it goes to 50% then to 100% then to 50%, I synced them and I had a disco party, kept goinmg back and fourth from 50% to 100%
                Device 1 - = Shower Switch - I click on the FEATURE called Shower switch,
                on the Feature screen there is a line called "linked Device" that is where I clicked and attached 2nd shower light ( The second dimmer), I see the commands, and there is a NEW link Option, says Selct the responder unit for yhis link, I put nothing there.

I then go to 2nd diommder called 2nd Shower light and do the exact same thing,
                Welcome to the Disco party, ugh, it just goes from 50 to 100 to 50 to 100 no stop,
                any idea or would you like screen shots?

Comment

i will assume you have the switches installed like the following

Name:	3-way.png
Views:	170
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	1548613

as i mentioned in post # 3 above, do not use the "linked device" homeseer option on the Feature screen. disable that and retest.

if you have the two switches cross-linked and have 'sync linked responder device' checked on both devices (see the mns insteon tab), this is all you need.

show me the MNS insteon tab for both switches. and the two device pages from the plugin Devices so i can see the links you have
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

make sure to build the links between the switches using the plugin, and dont rely on existing links from the insteon app, create them manually via the switches.

you might delete the existing links first.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Sounds to me like both of the travelers are still connected; one should be capped off per the wiring diagram Mark posted...

Comment

I will check the traveler wire, but I am pretty sure I installed per the diagram above which is the Insteon page, but you never know, I stopped the Disco party and I can make Main shower switch work, but if I click on regular shower switch it still goes from 0% to 50% to 100% back tp 50%
                        Here are the 4 requested screen shots, thank you for your patience, If I could understand the command lines and what they deo in the Links, Maybe I could figure this out,

Comment

i would suggest renaming the secondary switch with an "(aux)" extension. Its too confusing to debug when you have two devices with the same name. this goes for all your 3-way setups.

link # 1 on the second switch (xx.xx.B7) is strange, and problematic. why would you want the switch to turn off when the other goes on

delete that link
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

will do both suggestions. all links were automatically added so I saw that as well. but was afraid to delete

Comment

ok, fngers crossed, they seem to be linked and turning on and off at 50%, I did what you asked and then I changed one more command ON rate at 50% instead of on rate set to ON i set to 50%, seems to work and will try alexa, then I will do my other dimmer switches, see attached picture Thank you for you felp as always, I know how busy with all these Newbies like me, but after all done I may be able to help answer questions

Comment

Working...
                              X