Trouble with Connecting Insteon Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with Connecting Insteon Hub

I am admittedly a bit overwhelmed with the technology of Homeseer and trying to get it connected to my Insteon Hub 2245-222. I have followed all of the steps, including ensuring that I can access the hub via my router. However, when I put the proper Interface Port, Username and Password into the HomeSeer Web Control portal and hit save, I get this error:

Warning: Cannot contact the Insteon Interface on 10.0.0.73:25105. Please check the Settings page.

So, it's asking me to go to the Setting page.....but I'm already in the Setting page setting it up. I'm lost as to what to do and cannot find anything in the forum about this happening to others. Can someone please help me? HomeSeer support will not help and keeps referring me to this page. Thanks in advance!!

please try a qcode app on your phone to read the code on the bottom of the insteon hub. this will help with the username/pswd

did you start with step 0 on the getting started
    👉 READ THIS FIRST: Getting started with the MNS Insteon plugin - HomeSeer Message Board
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as wrong IP address or username/password. The characters are not confusing at all and I was able to easily connect directly to the hub via a web browser. If I can do that, there should not be a problem with using the identical credentials and paths in the plug-in. The problem is that the MNS Insteon Plug-In is not doing the same.

Mark -- I did start with Step 0. All was confirmed as correct and touchable. That is why I am so frustrated that the plug-in itself is not recognizing.

Any other advice? Please?

Comment

power cycle the insteon hub, and restart the plugin
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thank you, Mark. Can you please explain what "restart the plugin" means? Am I logging out of something? It's just a web interface of software, so I'm just not sure how to stop and restart. Are you referring to restarting the process? Do I uninstall the plugin? Thanks!

Comment

go to the hs plugins/manage page, and disable and re-enable the plugin
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

What you're describing (a browser can access the insteon hub but the plugin cannot) is pretty strange.
              Some thoughts:

0) when you login into your insteon hub from a browser, do you get a page like this?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1548461
              if not, you're not completing step 0

1) Any chance you're putting "http://" in front of the IP and port on the plugin settings page? it should be just the IP + a colon + "25105" with no spaces.

2) My local network is using the 10.0.0.x address space like yours so I know that works fine. This is a long shot, but do you know if your LAN has different IP address segments such that possibly your Hometroller (if you're using a hometroller device) is on a different IP segment -- and unable to access -- your insteon hub? This could happen, for instance, if your cable modem was running DHCP and defaulting to the 192.168.1.x space and your hometroller was plugged into it along side a separate router that also had DHCP enabled and was using the 10.0.0.x space (so the hometroller had an IP in the 192.168.1.x range while your insteon hub was on 10.0.0.x).

3) could your router have some setting that allows your browser to access the hub but not allow access from the IP that homeseer is running on?

Note: long term you should setup a "static route" in your router for your insteon hub (name varies for each router manufacturer, but you want the MAC address of the hub to always be assigned the same IP address) -- this way, if the router restarts for any reason (powerfail, etc.), the hub will get the same address when everything comes back.

hope some of this helps...john

Comment

Again, I appreciate your posts, friends, but I'm still having issues. I did the suggested power cycling of the Insteon Hub and Mark's suggested disabling and re-enabling of the plug-in via the toggle. No difference.

John, I completed Step 0 and what you are showing is almost exactly what I am seeing via that method. I have in fact done the same via my PC and Mac browsers and get the same thing.

My PC, Mac, the HomeSeer hub and the Insteon Hub are all hardwired to the same router.

I am not putting the "http://" in front of the IP.

I have a standard Comcast XFinity modem for home use. I have made no modifications. All devices are plugged into the same router. I am at a loss.

Mark --- It's my understanding that this is your developed plug-in. Can you tell me why the warning on the Settings page tells me to check the Settings page. Am I not already on the Setting page?

Both devices show up with the same root IP address when I do a LanScan. I can't have a more direct setup. I have power cycled both the HomeSeer and Insteon Hubs multiple times.

What next, team? I thought this was supposed to be easy.

Comment

Hi, maybe grasping at straws here but does your plugin Settings page look like this (IP and port on line 1, username on line 2, password on line 3?) followed, in your case, by a message like 'warning: cannot contact the Insteon Interface...'

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1548473

Comment

Team --- I did nothing different, but kept trying and trying to disable/re-enable. Finally, after try 16, it got the good message that we connected! I have no idea why it took so many tries of doing the same thing. I changed NOTHING in the end.

So now I'm connected, but I'm utterly confused as to what to do from here. Instructions (pasted below) say that two devices are created automatically. I have no devices in my dashboard. Says to register devices, but not my Insteon Hub (???). I don't get it. What device am I activating if not my Insteon Hub to use with the 20+ devices I have attached to it? Am I needing to enter in each of the 20+ device IDs? How do I do this with ones that are installed as switches in the wall where I cannot see the device data? Do I need to pull everything apart? I tried one plug-in dimmer module and after many attempts, it says "This device needs to have its existing links read before programming. The link table *could not* be read. Programing Failed." I don't understand what any of this means. I really need some guidance. Thank you in advance.

Notes: The plugin creates two devices automatically:
                    • A Global Insteon Group which can control all dimmers and switches
                    • An Insteon plugin device that contains all your device and group registration information as backup. See the MNS Insteon tab on that device.

To register devices: (BUT DO NOT REGISTER THE INSTEON HUB AS A DEVICE; ITS NOT NECESSARY AND WILL FAIL)
                    1. Go to the plugin Devices page,
                    2. Click Add device, enter the insteon id, and other info, then click Add device.
                    3. Go to to the HS Devices page to try and control the new device.
                    4. if the device doesn't respond, please restart HS4.

Comment

you need the insteon ids of each switch, etc. i recommend removing the wallplates, and writing down the IDs with their name and location.

then go to the plugin Devices page as out lined in # 1 and follow the rest of the instructions
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                      X