Insteon PLM to HT+ Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon PLM to HT+ Cable

Converting from an ISY994i with 2413S PLM to HT + with 2413S PLM. I bought the PLM years and years ago and I keep reading that I need the cable that came with the PLM. Bah ha ha! I can't find my car keys on a daily basis!

So, where can I find a replacement cable? I am not interested in USB to serial cables because, in my experience, those would require a driver on the HT+ and I'm not sure I want to go down that road. I don't mind building a cable, but I have seen several different pinouts, mostly in very old postings on other sites.

FYI, the PLM to ISY994i cable was just an ethernet cable.

Thanks in advance for any help,

H

this is what you need, its a pretty basic serial cable.

https://smartenit.com/shop/plm-serial-cable/

you can make your own following this thread:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/...to-rj45-cable/
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

one more reference

http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2413Sqs-en.pdf
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by hyounker View Post
        I am not interested in USB to serial cables because, in my experience, those would require a driver on the HT+ and I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

H
        I've been using USB to serial adapters for many years with no issues whatsoever. The Prolific driver is very simple to install and has worked flawlessly. So don't be afraid to go that route if you want.

The cable that comes with the 2413S looks like an ethernet cable on one end but it is not. They just used an RJ45 connector. The cable you were using with your ISY should work fine with the HT.

Comment

Originally posted by hyounker View Post
          Converting from an ISY994i with 2413S PLM to HT + with 2413S PLM. I bought the PLM years and years ago and I keep reading that I need the cable that came with the PLM. Bah ha ha! I can't find my car keys on a daily basis!

So, where can I find a replacement cable? I am not interested in USB to serial cables because, in my experience, those would require a driver on the HT+ and I'm not sure I want to go down that road. I don't mind building a cable, but I have seen several different pinouts, mostly in very old postings on other sites.

H
          Be aware that the current HT+ does not have a serial port . You’ll need the cable and still need a USB->serial adapter (w/ appropriate driver of needed). While Insteon used an RJ45 network style port on the PLM, it is not directly compatible with any port on the HT+.

The ISY was purpose built for Insteon and had a special RJ45 port configured to directly connect to the PLM.

Comment

Thanks to all for replying. Especially Steveo369. I checked my HT+ again and I mistook a vga style video port for a serial port. Who uses that anymore?! I guess all my researching had me convinced that I needed a DB connection. So, I'll have to go the route of the serial to usb converter.

Burrington, i have used the prolific chip several times as well, and even have several lying around. I was wanting to preserve the HT+ close to original, and I guess I was also being a little lazy, as setting up a monitor, keyboard and mouse on the HT+ will be a bit of a chore. I have nothing but tablets and laptops at my house.

Mark, thank you for the links, as I'll still have to build this serial to RJ45 cable to connect to my PLM.

For future connectivity to the HT+, does anyone see a problem with installing VNC on it?

I'll report back on the results in hopes of documenting this for someone else in the future.

Thanks again,

H

Comment

I use RealVNC with HS4. I use a PC rather than a HT+, but they are essentially the same thing. VNC works great for both local and secure remote access.

The cable that comes with the PLM is hidden away under the packaging, so if you still have the box, it might still be in there. But it's not hard to build one if you don't.

PS, sorry, I didn't realize the newer ISY had an RJ45 for the PLM.

Comment

I ran home after my last post to grab my HT+ and the PLM. I had everything I needed at work to "Frankenstein" something together until I decide on the final build. After figuring out that I had to add the com port in the settings, the HT+ was able to see the PLM. Thanks for the help again. I'm sure my learning curve has just begun and we'll all be talking again soon. 😝

Comment

glad to hear you are making progress. please review the getting started thread for details on setting up the plugin.

Getting started with the MNS Insteon plugin - HomeSeer Message Board

if you can't find your answer, feel free to start a new thread
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                  X