Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot contact the Insteon interface on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot contact the Insteon interface on...

I downloaded HS4 v4.2.16.0 today and installed the MNS plug-in v4.0.4.0. After entering the hub IP:Port, user name, and password the screen shows a message, "Cannot contact the Insteon interface on 192.168.5.22:25105. I spent over an hour verifying the IP, ports, user name, password, resetting the hub, etc. and the message just kept showing. I was about to give up and I returned to the Interface page and saw the message, "Hub contacted on 192.168.5.22:25105 with an Insteon address of **.**.** (ID was in the message) and firmware version A5". Everything was connected and I was able to add devices. If I return to the Settings screen the "cannot contact" error message still shows. Very confusing and almost caused me to give up on the installation. Screenshots attached.

Attached Files

1. Restart HS to see if those discrepancies go away
    2. If not, check the HS log for errors and their detail

Comment

The following day the error message was gone and the two screens were consistent. My post was really to alert the developer that an erroneous message may be showing that could cause some confusion.

After I posted, I recalled that the steps that I followed may have contributed to the issue:
      1. I entered the IPort and immediately clicked save (I did not tab out of the field).
      2. After clicking save the user name and password field are displayed. I entered that info and clicked save again and still got the error message.

I am not sure if the username and password field would have displayed if I had tabbed out of that field and then perhaps if I had entered the username and password and clicked save only once all the info was entered I would not have received the error message.

It might be more clear to users to have the Port, Username, and Password fields all displayed initially to avoid the user clicking save with only the port info and receiving the initial error message.

Thanks.

Comment

kevinwalkerca thanks for the feedback.

the plugin initially only displays the port field initially in case the user is only using a PLM (which doesn't require username/pswd)

So if you enter an IP address and port, then the screen refreshes to show the username/pswd fields

i realize its not perfect but i will check it out.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
        X