New i3 Insteon Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New i3 Insteon Products

It looks like Insteon is indeed not dead. They announced some new products in today's email newsletter. When will we see support in the plugin?

I am excited to announce two new products – the Insteon i3 Dial (DS01) and the Insteon i3 Outlet (WR01). The i3 Dial is a modern take on the classic rotary switch that allows for a simple and intuitive way to turn lights on/off and fine-tune dim levels. The i3 Outlet behaves much like existing Insteon On/Off Outlets, but it should be noted that i3 products have been re-designed from the ground up. Also, both of these products are supported in the current version of Director but we are unable to support them in the Insteon for Hub app.

They mentioned these on the lunch webinar last week. These items look to be related to, if not the same as, the Insteon-inspired Nokia line which never came to fruition. They still have this page up on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Nokia Smart Lighting: Discover

The cool new potential with i3 is field upgradable firmware!​
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I forgot about those. I think you're right, it could be picking up the pieces from that project.

Comment

I have one of each, but I'm waiting for the developer notes for final implementation.

these are "Insteon i3" branded devices, the Nokia line is dead. Lets not propagate the old.

The field upgradeable fw is appealing but I have no idea how that would work. There are no external ports on the back. If I have to deal with fw upgrading via the plugin, that is going to be a headache for me in terms of support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1585864
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Oooooh! Are those QR codes and Insteon device IDs printed right on the metal? I've had many stickers fall off over the years, only from my oldest of devices, though.
          HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
          Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Yes it is, here is what the outlet qr-code decodes to

i:601C66R:1.0M:WR01S:01205519465773D:1121

i underlined what i recognize
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I received the dev notes on the new i3 devices. please post here if you buy either and are willing to test a beta
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Willing to test some of the new Insteon i3 devices. The new insteon switches are 1/2 the cost of used switches on ebay. But still have a nice stock of new & used backup switches bought several years ago. But I really need a On/Off outlet which is still out of stock. The Motion Sensor II looks interesting. Also have a wall dimmer switch starting to go bad that I can upgrade to i3. It is in a hall 3 way circiut. Would I have to replace all 3 switches or would the switch be backwards compatable with the old switches?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrbaldwin View Post
                  Willing to test some of the new Insteon i3 devices. The new insteon switches are 1/2 the cost of used switches on ebay. But still have a nice stock of new & used backup switches bought several years ago. But I really need a On/Off outlet which is still out of stock. The Motion Sensor II looks interesting. Also have a wall dimmer switch starting to go bad that I can upgrade to i3. It is in a hall 3 way circiut. Would I have to replace all 3 switches or would the switch be backwards compatable with the old switches?

Jim
                  you dont need to replace all three. the new new dial should integrate right in. do you know if the dying switch is the primary (load controller) or secondary?
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

primary switch. When it starts acting up I pull the reset button out and let sit for a couple days then factory reset. It will then work for 2-3 months. Really want an On/Off outlet for the well house heater so can turn on the heat when below freezing.

Ordered a On/Off Switch 2477S, Dimmer Switch 2477D, i3 Outlet WR01 & Motion Sensor II 2844-222 to test.

Also have a X10 - Insteon Tester can quickly hook up switches & outlets to for testing.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                      ... The field upgradeable fw is appealing but I have no idea how that would work. There are no external ports on the back. If I have to deal with fw upgrading via the plugin, that is going to be a headache for me in terms of support.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2559.jpg Views:	156 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	1585864
                      The new Insteon seems to rely heavily on their Director app for continued income. I'm just hoping they won't restrict the FW upgrades through their app only...

mnsandler : you must have the Dev Notes in I3 by now if you're ready to beta. Any references on FW upgrade?

Comment

I bought a bunch of backup insteon switches when it looked they were doing away with the X10 address that my Omni Pro II security system uses to control the Insteon lights. In the dev notes is there any mention of the switches still having the ability to set X10 addresses?
                        Last edited by jrbaldwin; February 23, 2023, 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

i have to keep what is in the i3 dev notes confidential (per their request)
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks, Tried to download the switches user & installation manuals but they haven't been updated for the i3 switches yet.

Comment

I would like to buy one of the I3 outlets. Will the basic on/off function work with the existing plugin ok without any changes? I would be willing to beta test it

Comment

Working...
                              X