Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MNS Insteon event can cause an ALL LIGHTS ON condition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My scenario:

I have an event that controls (on/off) my Kitchen lights, and in addition, the corresponding keypad buttons in several rooms.

What I've found is on occasion when this event runs it causes an "ALL LIGHTS ON" condition, I can see the evidence in the logs.

What I'm being told by Insteon is that the devices to be controlled (if not in a scene), can create additional signally to accomplish the same task.

Are there settings in the MNS plugin to control the timing of "event action items", to separate them long enough to hopefully stop this from happening?

Can a wait state be placed between event action items?

Is creating an MNS group the same as creating a schene where the scene definition would be stored on the PLM/HUB device? Or is this a logical grouping of devices stored in the SQLite database where each item in the group will require a separate signal be sent?

Thanks in advance

Mike.

Mike

there are wait event actions you can add to the event action list. these are hs actions, not insteon specific.

the definition of an insteon group (created in the plugin) is saved in the config\insteon.ini file. however the responder links are stored in the individual participant devices along with the controller link stored in the hub or PLM.

the plugin maintains a 'global group' for lights and switches; its number 255 (0xFF) but you cant see or edit it.

there must be noise or something else triggering this group

"ALL LIGHTS ON" sounds like an old x10 cmd. insteon doesn't respond to x10 unless you have an x10 code assigned.

if you can easily reproduce the issue, enable detailed logging within the plugin, and then post the hs log of the relevant logs showing the issue.

To post an HS log if you have issues or get errors (Do not copy and post the log, its unreadable)
    - Goto to the hs tools/log menu, Export the log of the transactions, download it and attach it to your post​ (please cut it down to the relevant entries)

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I have had that happen on occasion as well. Although I never proved it conclusively, I determined that it happened when my Insteon communication quality was low to some devices. Low signal strength allowed some messages to be corrupted and turned into 255's (all 1's digitally). After adding some FilterLincs to devices that were loading the Insteon Powerline signals, the problem went away.

Comment

Hey Mark - I can't reproduce it at will, it doesn't happen every day.

But it does happen at the exact same time (4:40PM). We were sitting down for dinner last night when it happened again.

Immediately after the Event Trigger "iKitchen iKitchenLights-PmOn" at the bottom of this post.

I got this series of logging events, which I would expect. But then the entire house lit up.

Also, I do not have x10 devices, nor is x10 enabled in the plugin.

I do not see a way to add a wait option within the event.
        1/10/2023 4:40:52 PM
        HomeSeer
        Device Control
        Device: 2nd Floor iKitchen KeypadLinc (iKitchenEnclosure) - Root KeypadLinc (iKitchenLamp) - D to On (101)

HomeSeer
        Device Control
        Device: 2nd Floor iKitchen KeypadLinc (iKitchen) - Root KeypadLinc (iKitchenLamp) - D to On (101)

HomeSeer
        Device Control
        Device: 2nd Floor iBedroomMain KeypadLinc (iBedroomMain) - Root KeypadLinc (iKitchenLamp) - D to On (101)

HomeSeer
        Device Control
        Device: 1st Floor iStairwell KeypadLinc (iStairwellLower) - Root KeypadLinc (iKitchenLamp) - D to On (101)

HomeSeer
        Device Control
        Device: 2nd Floor iKitchen LampLinc (iKitchen) - Root LampLinc (iKitchen) to On (101)​

HomeSeer
        Event
        Event Trigger "iKitchen iKitchenLights-PmOn"

Comment

to add the delay, either click the + icon then find the Wait action, add a wait to the control a device action
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	86
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1585971

Views:	100
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1585970

please use the following process to post an hs log to the forum. the copy and paste isn't easy to read

To post an HS log if you have issues or get errors
          - Goto to the hs tools/log menu, Export the log of the transactions, download it and attach it to your post​ (please cut it down to the relevant entries)​​
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark - please find the attached copy of the log time frame.

Also, I want a 1 second delay/wait time between each keypad button update. I now see the 'wait' option, thank you for that. Will either of the wait options ("Wait" or "After Waiting") cause a pause between actions in an event? I don't want a single pause before all actions fire, I want a delay between each action within the event.

The "After Waiting" option reads like it would fire after the specified time from the start of the event trigger and not the previous action within the event.

Just need some clarity on that.

Thank you
            Attached Files

Comment

your understanding of the wait options is correct. it will be between each action

please post a pic of the final event just to confirm you have it setup correctly
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark - please see below. I've updated and tested my morning event, and each action is in fact delayed by 1 sec. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

Views:	85
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1586017

The config:
                ​​Click image for larger version

Views:	87
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1586018

Comment

Looks good. lets see how it goes.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Apologies if I missed it in my skimming, but is there a reason you're not using an Insteon Group for this event? It would be more efficient and reduce Insteon traffic. I always use groups when I want to control 2 or more Insteon devices at the same time.
                    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
                    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Working...
                    X