No announcement yet.

Homeseer device dropping IP address - cannot update, must drop and recreate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it. There were a couple of other questions in that post.
    Thanks.
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Exactly the same situation here with 3 different types of KASA modules. Has anyone found a practical solution?
      I wonder if the HS4 TP-Link plugin needs a little updating.

Comment

Here are the current contents of HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome.ini. Devices 818 and 834 are the IDs for the two KASA units. I have no idea what the 832 is - it might have been the device before it was removed and re-inserted after it lost the IP address earlier. As you can see, one of the active TPLink devices has an IP address of 0.0.0.0, the other is the correct address fo 192.128.0.62.

Both devices are pingable by name (kasa01, kasa02), DNS resolves to the correct addresses (192.168.0.61, 192.168.0.62).

[Settings]
        polling-frequency=20
        polling-disable=False
        debug-enable=False
        [PluginExtraData]
        DateOfLastSectionClear=8/1/2022 11:18:31 AM
        dev-ref-818={'ip_address':'0.0.0.0','tpl_device_type':'SMARTPLUGSWIT CH','isColor':false,'hex_color':'','isMeter':false,'isDimmab le':false,'isDisabled':false,'jvCount':48,'color_temp':0,'de vVersion':'2021.4.20'}
        dev-ref-832={'ip_address':'0.0.0.0','tpl_device_type':'SMARTPLUGSWIT CH','isColor':false,'hex_color':'','isMeter':false,'isDimmab le':false,'isDisabled':false,'jvCount':96,'color_temp':0,'de vVersion':'2021.4.20'}
        dev-ref-834={'ip_address':'192.168.0.62','tpl_device_type':'SMARTPLU GSWITCH','isColor':false,'hex_color':'','isMeter':false,'isD immable':false,'isDisabled':false,'jvCount':0,'color_temp':0 ,'devVersion':'2021.4.20'}

Comment

Most of my tp-link outlets have started having this same issue, no IPs. I've got a tp-link outlet strip that still works oddly. The Kasa app works on these outlets, just not the PI.

jasv any suggestions in how to address this, besides wipe out the PI and start over? Below is TPLInk Device List from HS, there are two more with no IPs not captured in that screenshot.
          Attached Files

Comment

1. I see a couple of devices that still have an IP. Do those work?
            2. Can you go to the .\Config\HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome.ini and send me a screen shot?
            3. Can you delete the entries with 0.0.0.0 and save it (You might need to shut down HS) to see if the system finds the IPs?

James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Originally posted by SAntonoff View Post
              Here are the current contents of HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome.ini. Devices 818 and 834 are the IDs for the two KASA units. I have no idea what the 832 is - it might have been the device before it was removed and re-inserted after it lost the IP address earlier. As you can see, one of the active TPLink devices has an IP address of 0.0.0.0, the other is the correct address fo 192.128.0.62.

Both devices are pingable by name (kasa01, kasa02), DNS resolves to the correct addresses (192.168.0.61, 192.168.0.62).

[Settings]
              polling-frequency=20
              polling-disable=False
              debug-enable=False
              [PluginExtraData]
              DateOfLastSectionClear=8/1/2022 11:18:31 AM
              dev-ref-818={'ip_address':'0.0.0.0','tpl_device_type':'SMARTPLUGSWIT CH','isColor':false,'hex_color':'','isMeter':false,'isDimmab le':false,'isDisabled':false,'jvCount':48,'color_temp':0,'de vVersion':'2021.4.20'}
              dev-ref-832={'ip_address':'0.0.0.0','tpl_device_type':'SMARTPLUGSWIT CH','isColor':false,'hex_color':'','isMeter':false,'isDimmab le':false,'isDisabled':false,'jvCount':96,'color_temp':0,'de vVersion':'2021.4.20'}
              dev-ref-834={'ip_address':'192.168.0.62','tpl_device_type':'SMARTPLU GSWITCH','isColor':false,'hex_color':'','isMeter':false,'isD immable':false,'isDisabled':false,'jvCount':0,'color_temp':0 ,'devVersion':'2021.4.20'}

This is helpful. What happens if you delete the entries below [PluginExtraData]? or just the one with 0.0.0.0?
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Originally posted by jasv View Post
                1. I see a couple of devices that still have an IP. Do those work?
                2. Can you go to the .\Config\HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome.ini and send me a screen shot?
                3. Can you delete the entries with 0.0.0.0 and save it (You might need to shut down HS) to see if the system finds the IPs?
                Sorry for the delayed response, but I did want to follow up with this. Let me start by saying I "think" my issue is resolved, at least it's been fine for about a week. I think the resolution was a problematic WiFi extender. It's been recently replaced with Omada AP. I don't have correlation, but that has been the only change to my environment.

As I mentioned previously, it was odd that the Kasa App worked the whole time, yet the HS plugin didn't. Most of been the difference of cloud sourced versus local.?.?

Thanks!

Comment

This is helpful. What happens if you delete the entries below [PluginExtraData]? or just the one with 0.0.0.0?
                  Sorry for the delay, again. Today, both devices were not working. I used the HS4 GUI to "delete" the devices and did a "Discover" in the TPLink plugin. After that there were 2 lines witn "0.0.0.0", 1 with "192.168.0.61" and 2 with "192.168.0.62". I copied the file to a new name, edited it to remove all but the 2 proper entries, saved the copy. I then copied the new file to both the .ini and the .ini.bak. I did this without shutting down HS4 first to see what happened. The HS4 GUI looked correct. I then shutdown the homeseer service and restarted it. The bogus lines were back. So then I shutdown HS4 and did the copy over again. This time, the restart of HS4 left the HSPI_TPLIN files intact.

I'll try to keep a closer eye on it to see if I can figure out what event is corrupting the file.

Steve

Comment

Same problem, here, but not with all kasa switches. I can "control" the device from the "TPLinkSmartHome devices in Homeseer" and the icon will cut on or off, although nothing happens at the switch. IP addresses are assigned through DHCP reservation. MAC addresses remain while the IP address changes from a working address to 0.0.0.0

[edit] Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I stopped the PI, edited the .ini file, and restarted the PI. Having replaced the 0.0.0.0 with what should have been set as a DHCP reservation, I think all is back to normal. I am not running a VLAN, but I *think* all of those switches *may* be looking at an access point instead of my router. Still, the AP looks to the router to assign IP addresses. We've had some pretty nasty weather and I am questioning that having had something to do with the drama. I'll keep my eye on this and keep a "spare" .ini file if this gets goofy, again.[/edit]
                    Last edited by ewkearns; September 11, 2022, 02:18 PM. Reason: New information!
                    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by SAntonoff View Post

Sorry for the delay, again. Today, both devices were not working. I used the HS4 GUI to "delete" the devices and did a "Discover" in the TPLink plugin. After that there were 2 lines witn "0.0.0.0", 1 with "192.168.0.61" and 2 with "192.168.0.62". I copied the file to a new name, edited it to remove all but the 2 proper entries, saved the copy. I then copied the new file to both the .ini and the .ini.bak. I did this without shutting down HS4 first to see what happened. The HS4 GUI looked correct. I then shutdown the homeseer service and restarted it. The bogus lines were back. So then I shutdown HS4 and did the copy over again. This time, the restart of HS4 left the HSPI_TPLIN files intact.

I'll try to keep a closer eye on it to see if I can figure out what event is corrupting the file.

Steve
                      There is some "start up logic" that tries to re-establish the IP addresses which how they get wiped out. There is so many issues with the IP address that I am looking for a way for the user to hard code the address rather than have the plugin constantly try to check to see if they have changed.
                      James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

So far, the IP addresses have remained OK since the last system reboot on 9/3.

I just restarted HS4 using the init.d "homeseer restart" command. The ini file was "touched" but the IP addresses remain correct.

Steve

Comment

There is some "start up logic" that tries to re-establish the IP addresses which how they get wiped out. There is so many issues with the IP address that I am looking for a way for the user to hard code the address rather than have the plugin constantly try to check to see if they have changed.
                          That is an excellent idea for those with static IPs! Thanks...
                          Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

OK, just had this happen again! This time, fewer devices were affected (4 instead of about 8). The problem was noted when the HS4 server went down due to an unidentifiable reason. Cause or effect? No idea.
                            Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

I've added a new beta version in the beta forum that hopefully fixes some of the devices failing to find their IP. I also included an option to make the IP address static to prevent the plugin from changing it.
                              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I have verified that it is not necessary to remove and re-discover the devices that lose their IP addresses.

To be safe, shutdown Homeseer first.
                                Go to the HomeSeer home directory (for me, that's /opt/HomeSeer), the go to Config directory. Edit "HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome4.ini" AND "HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome4.ini.bak".
                                In both files, edit the IP addresses for the non-working devices (you will need to know the correct IP addresses for each device). Since I only have 2 TPLink devices, it's pretty easy.
                                Save both files.
                                Restart HomeSeer.

HS4 should now see the TPLink devices at their correct addresses.

In LInux, a shell script could be used to automate this. Shutdown HS4, use sed to edit the two files, restart HS4. The sed command will need to use the HS device id in the find/replace command to assign the correct IP address to each device.

Comment

Working...
                                X