Just installed, can't seem to find first device, or any device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed, can't seem to find first device, or any device

I just added my first 3 HS200 switches. They are all set up and on the same subnet as the homeseer hometroller sel2, each with a reserved IP address. When I installed the plugin, I tried to discover the devices, and I didn't see any show up, then I tried logging into to Kasa, didn't see any there, then gave the plugin an IP address, and saw this error in the logs:

error in getDevices() err:Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index

Any thoughts? TIA

1. The devices have to have to be set up and working in Kasa which I am guessing that is how you set them up.
    2. The plugin has to have access to the plugins via the same network. Meaning that the plugin has to be on the same subnet that you also did.

Can confirm by opening up a cmd window in your homeseer computer and ping one of the device addresses?
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Also, Some have indicated problems with a VLAN. I've never used the plugin with a VLAN so that might be an issue.
      James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

The Kasa HS200 switches are eligible for local control. Good. Since you have already successfully connected them to you WiFi network you could try adding them individually by IP address in the HS4 plugin. This bypasses the Kasa (tplink) cloud account.

Another method is to use the Kasa app on your phone to test. Log out of your Kasa account and go to the guest account. This should give local control to the HS200 switches. If not, then you could reset each HS200 and add them again via the app in guest account mode. Then go back to the HS4 plugin and add the HS200 switches by IP address. It's easy to delete/add devices in the HS4 plugin if you make a mistake. It's also easy to delete/add HS200 switches in the Kasa app. The key is to use the guest account and not log in to you Kasa cloud account. This guest account method only works for devices that are eligible for local control. https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/2707/

Hope this helps.
        Regards,

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

To answer questions:

James:

1) Correct. I created them using the app and an account
          2) I can ssh onto the Hometroller and successfully ping the switches.

I don't think the VLAN should have an issue here, because the wifi access point is vlan aware and the SSID they join is on the same vlan as the hometroller (all same subnet). If I was crossing VLANs, that might be a factor, but I think your ping test gives me the confidence its not an issue.

DMT:

I will try that and see what happens and revert back shortly.

Comment

Ok DMT:

I took one switch off my account and used the guest account on my phone. That added successfully, and the switch works. However, when I add the IP address (which again, verified pingable), I still don't see the device.

Of note, I'd prefer to use the Kasa account because I also would like to control these devices from my Brilliant, which works with Kasa.

I have debug on in the HS4 plugin, and see this in the logs:

4/22/2022 11:13:40 AM

HomeSeer
            Starting Plug-In
            Plugin TPLinkSmartHome4 started successfully in 78 milliseconds

HomeSeer
            Starting Plug-In
            Initializing plugin TPLinkSmartHome4 ...

HomeSeer
            Starting Plug-In
            TPLinkSmartHome4 loaded in 15055 milliseconds

4/22/2022 11:13:25 AM

HomeSeer
            Info
            Plugin TPLinkSmartHome4 with instance TPLinkSmartHome4 has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:44703

4/22/2022 11:13:25 AM

HomeSeer
            Warning
            I/O interface TPLinkSmartHome4 is down, executable is not running, restarting ...

4/22/2022 11:13:18 AM

HomeSeer
            Info
            Plugin TPLinkSmartHome4 with ID: TPLinkSmartHome4 and Instance: has disconnected

Jeff.

Comment

Not sure why the plugin would disconnect and restart. To be sure, you are on HS4. Correct?
              Also, have you tried to add devices with the local firewall temporarily disconnected? The plugin can get blocked by the firewall.
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I'm running: HS4 Standard Edition 4.2.7.0 (Linux)

Yes. FW Disabled.

Comment

I tried to reinstall it again, and got no errors. I put the devices back on my Kasa account, and tried to use the login method to make it work, but now have a TPLinkSmartHome Config device. Seems positive.

Under status: Start -1 End Status Offline Control Use NotSpecified.

I don't see where the other devices would be if they were created. The logs don't indicate anything.

Comment

Originally posted by subtle View Post
                    I'm running: HS4 Standard Edition 4.2.7.0 (Linux)

I am running a raspberry pi version without any issues. What flavor of Linux are you using? I doubt it makes a difference but want to test in the right environment.
                    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I’m using Ubuntu or whatever comes with the hometroller sel 2.

Comment

Coming back to this.

jasv should I try and run the HS3 version instead of HS4 version of the plugin? I've taken a shot, but I think I have a mono version issue:

Error
                        Initializing plug-in(2): TPLinkSmartHome Instance:isconnected before response received.STACK: at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.InitIO(string) at Scheduler.PluginHolder.InitIO (System.String PortNumber) [0x0000b] in :0 at Scheduler.clsHSPI.CheckInterfaces () [0x000bf] in :0

Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by subtle View Post
                          Coming back to this.

jasv should I try and run the HS3 version instead of HS4 version of the plugin? I've taken a shot, but I think I have a mono version issue:

Error
                          Initializing plug-in(2): TPLinkSmartHome Instance:isconnected before response received.STACK: at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.InitIO(string) at Scheduler.PluginHolder.InitIO (System.String PortNumber) [0x0000b] in :0 at Scheduler.clsHSPI.CheckInterfaces () [0x000bf] in :0

Jeff.
                          Are the rest of your plugins working ok? I have various people running this plugin on Ubuntu and the raspberry pi OS.
                          James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

All other plugins work fine. Sonos4, MyQ, Tesla, Vista, Synology Surveillance all fine.

So, you’d rather me use the HS3 plugin over HS4? The HS4 one installs fine, but I can’t seem to login to Kasa or if it is logging in, it’s not telling me other than an alert that says test successful. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to click finish at that point either. Also, I do get a config device if that helps.

Comment

I don't support the HS3 plugin but some are still using it and it seems to work just fine in HS4. If you do decide to do that, please let us know your experience. I have a tough month of May and will not have much time for the plugin but June is looking good. If I can learn anything to improve/stabilize the HS4 plugin I will do it then.
                              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Working...
                              X