Does Tuya Convert break this plug-in ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Tuya Convert break this plug-in ?

I am considering converting some Tuya devices with Tasmota to eliminate the cloud and give me some peace of mind. Will this plug-in continue to work or would I need to use MQTT to communicate with the devices?

An FAQ or a sticky outlining what this plug-in can, and can't do, would be nice.

Thanks

Once you use Tuya Convert the devices will not talk to the Tuya servers anymore and so the Tuya plugin will not work for them.
    I have done this and now use mcsMQTT to control the converted devices.

Comment

Originally posted by jhopple View Post
      Once you use Tuya Convert the devices will not talk to the Tuya servers anymore and so the Tuya plugin will not work for them.
      I have done this and now use mcsMQTT to control the converted devices.
      Thanks for the response.
      Did you find that you lost any functionality with MQTT vs Tuya?

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Comment

In general your Tasmota experience will be better than your Tuya experience. There is no loss of operational functionality and an improvement in the capabilities that now become available via Tasmota and MQTT. You are also now in control of your device. Before conversion assure Tasmota supports the device. There are some that are not based on ESP8266 so conversion is not possible.

For some examples, Tasmota has an event engine of its own so local decisions can be made and HS becomes a monitor rather than a controller. This architecture will support better availability and reliability. MQTT does not require polling so changes in the device are instantly available to HS. It also provides a Quality Of Service to assure delivery of messages that are important and not waste resources for those that are not important. A periodic update of a temperature reading is likely not important, but a change in the light switch position is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          In general your Tasmota experience will be better than your Tuya experience. There is no loss of operational functionality and an improvement in the capabilities that now become available via Tasmota and MQTT. You are also now in control of your device. Before conversion assure Tasmota supports the device. There are some that are not based on ESP8266 so conversion is not possible.

For some examples, Tasmota has an event engine of its own so local decisions can be made and HS becomes a monitor rather than a controller. This architecture will support better availability and reliability. MQTT does not require polling so changes in the device are instantly available to HS. It also provides a Quality Of Service to assure delivery of messages that are important and not waste resources for those that are not important. A periodic update of a temperature reading is likely not important, but a change in the light switch position is important.
          Thanks for the encouragement Michael,
          Cloud based devices and the sharing of private information. Yummy. What's not to like? So, yes the Tuya conversion is a great option.

Since my original post I have successfully converted 9/10 devices using the Tuya-convert on a Pi and a donor NodeMCU. I have somehow managed to get them to talk in HS with your very slick mcsMQTT PI. Still reading the (just shy of 400 page) manual ! I had used the "setoption19 1" in the Tasmota console and to my surprise it created about 7 devices per dimmer. I deleted these and was going to wait until I had a better understanding of the Topics to prevent overloading my system with unwanted devices.

I am stuck trying to convert one last device that is on the Tasmota supported list but keeps returning a "no intermediate firmware found" error. The smarthack-web log file is locked and the attrib command is MIA. I am surmising that Attrib is not included in Buster version of the bash shell.

At this stage I think I am off-topic so I should relocate the thread elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
          X