Tuya LED Controller - Overall experience and Issue with MODE child device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuya LED Controller - Overall experience and Issue with MODE child device

I've recently purchased some tuya led light strips. More specifically, wifi RGB controllers as light strips and light controllers are mostly interchangeable.

I successfully added the controller to my tuya app and have successfully gotten the tuya plugin in HS4 to recognize the light strip controller. It created a device parent with 4 children. It all works as I would expect except for the MODE child device. See the bold sections towards the bottom.

1. State - tells me if the controller is online or offline - works fine
    2. Switch - on/off controls that turn the lights on or off. - works fine (I use HS4 control and the light behaves as I would expect and the tuya app recognizes the change in light status almost instantaneously).
    3. Mode - set up with 4 options : White, Color, Scene, Music - does not work fine - see below for more details
    4. Color Mode - brings up the color picker - works fine (I use HS4 color picker and the light behaves as I would expect and the changes are recognized on the tuya app). would be great if HS4 color picker when selected would show the current color that had been selected with the app. Not a deal killer for me, but would be nice for that it to be two way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tuya.PNG
Views:	566
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1489497

MODES:
    White: turns lights off, but there is no corresponding change on the app. This seems wrong to me. What is HS4 telling tuya to do such that it turns the lights off and there is no change in the app showing what was done? Does this have something to do with it being RGB and not RGBW? This is more of a curiosity and not the purpose of this post.

Color: turns the lights to the last color chosen (whether it was chosen in the color picker in HS4 or the app). - Works fine

Scene: turns the device to the last scene that had been selected in the app. there is no way to choose which of the 8 scenes (night, read, working, leisure, soft, colorful, dazzling, music) from the tuya app. It would be great to have the ability to customize this more and select a specific scene rather than the last one

Music: This does nothing to the lights, but does change the app into a state where the icon shows a spinning record player. This controller does have a microphone where it will change the lights to the music that it hears (reason I bought it). In the tuya app, the music mode is actually the 8th scene and there is no other button in the app that can replicate this behavior of the app displaying a spinning record. It seems like the HS4 plugin knows there may be a music mode, but for this controller, the music mode is one of 8 scenes.

Is there anyway to augment the plugin so that the music button selects the 8th scene (which is the music one) or to add the ability for the scene selector to choose one of the eight scenes.
    Last edited by ; August 15, 2021, 02:08 PM. Reason: adding a picture for visual reference

Could you click on the device and copy/paste here what you have in the Tuya tab. Thanks

Comment

Here you go. From the 'Supported Functions' and 'Device' sections. I've removed the IP Address

Supported Functions:
      [
      {
      "name": "Switch",
      "code": "switch_led",
      "type": "Boolean",
      "values": "{}",
      "status_only": false
      },
      {
      "name": "Mode",
      "code": "work_mode",
      "type": "Enum",
      "values": "{"range":["white","colour","scene","music"]}",
      },
      {
      "name": "Color mode",
      "code": "colour_data_v2",
      "type": "Json",
      "values": "{"h":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"","max":360,"s tep":1},"s":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"","max": 1000,"step":1},"v":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"", "max":1000,"step":1}}",
      },
      {
      "name": "Scenario mode",
      "code": "scene_data_v2",
      "values": "{"scene_num":{"min":1,"scale":0,"max":8,"step":1} ,"scene_units": {"unit_change_mode":{"range":["static","jump","gradient"]},"unit_switch_duration":{"min":0,"scale":0,"max":10 0,"step":1},"unit_gradient_duration":{"min":0,"scale\ ":0,"max":100,"step":1},"bright":{"min":0,"scale": 0,"max":1000,"step":1},"temperature":{"min":0,"scal e":0,"max":1000,"step":1},"h":{"min":0,"scale":0, "unit":"","max":360,"step":1},"s":{"min":0,"sca le":0,"unit":"","max":1000,"step":1},"v":{"min" :0,"scale":0,"unit":"","max":1000,"step":1}}}",
      },
      {
      "name": "Countdown",
      "code": "countdown_1",
      "type": "Integer",
      "values": "{"unit":"","min":0,"max":86400,"scale":0,"step" :1}",
      },
      {
      "name": "DP control",
      "code": "control_data",
      "values": "{"change_mode":{"range":["direct","gradient"]}, "bright":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"","max":1000 ,"step":1}, "temperature":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"","max" :1000,"step":1}, "h":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"","max":360,"ste p":1},"s":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"","max":25 5,"step":1},"v":{"min":0,"scale":0,"unit":"","m ax":255,"step":1}}",
      }
      ]

Device:
      {
      "uuid": "54400260286dcd634d08",
      "name": "Smart LED Strip Reese",
      "ip": "xx.xxx.xx.x",
      "status": [
      {
      "code": "switch_led",
      "value": "false"
      },
      {
      "value": "colour"
      },
      {
      "code": "colour_data_v2",
      "value": "{"h":116,"s":1000,"v":1000}"
      },
      {
      "code": "scene_data_v2",
      "value": "{"scene_num":1,"scene_units":[{"bright":0,"h":46,"s":1000,"temperature":0,"unit_c hange_mode":"static","unit_gradient_duration":13,"unit _switch_duration":14,"v":716}]}"
      },
      {
      "code": "countdown_1",
      "value": "0"
      },
      {
      "code": "control_data",
      "value": ""
      }
      ],
      "category": "dj",
      "product_id": "npuiw4khsyzclzhl",
      "online": true,
      "id": "ebcd558cd6d029fb78osyr",
      "time_zone": "-04:00",
      "local_key": "95bd913b645f0cd9"
      }

Comment

Same problem I have. Device Data says "white" is valid for work_mode. Here's one I have that works correctly:

{ "name": "Mode",
        "type": "Enum",
        "values": "{"range":["colour"]}",
        "status_only": false },
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

spud did the info I pasted provide anything useful for you re: solving this problem

Comment

I see the exact same thing...
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

It appears that the plugin (and the app) doesn't understand the difference between RGB and RGBW strips. Especially if the controller is RGBW capable. Apparently there are two versions of the controller - one that is hardware limited to RGB. I wonder if that is what is happening. All the controllers i have looked at online are the RGBW ones (with the intent that you just don't use the W line).

My biggest issue is controlling the scenes from HS4 as well as customizing them as you can do in the App... What I really want to be able to do is have Custom Scenes for every holiday -- similar to the Breathe on the app. So Christmas is Red/Green, Mardi Gras is Purple/Green/Gold, July 4th would be Red/While/Blue... which is almost impossible to program from the App... and color picking to get it to respond with the right color sometimes is a crap shoot....

I am toying with the idea of converting my strips to use the Zooz controller... direct Z-wave control... we'll see.

Comment

Well, i have the Zooz controller and it works great -- but is very limited in Animations/Scenes. At least with the Tuya app, i can set a scene (say alternating Green/Red for Xmas) and then turn it on or off with HS4. To do the same with the Zooz, I would have to run an event to go Red, then Green, then repeat forever -- way intensive on resources and Z-wave bandwidth. At least with the Tuya App, I can set up animations and tweak the controller though it would be much nicer to go it from HS4

Comment

Working...
                X