Z-Wave reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave reset

Is there any way to do an almost factory reset on the z-wave setup? I've been messing round with parameters and polling etc. and I seem to have messed things up to the point where the WAF factor is heading downhill fast.

Is there any way to set everything on the Z-Wave side of things back to factory, but without loosing the actual devices? I know I can delete everything and factory reset the z-troller , but is there a way I can keep the 100+ devices without going to have to go round and include them all again?

G

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve - you want to do a factory reset but don't want to lose anything? So what ARE you trying to lose?

If you're simply trying to do a re-set and re-setup of the Z-Wave stick itself in the hopes of clearing something then you can:
    1. Do a Z-Wave backup in the Z-Wave plugin
    2. Do a reset of the Z-Wave in the Z-Wave plugin
    3. Do a Z-Wave restore in the Z-Wave plugin

An example of something that would be cleared along the way is all the neighbour configurations.

I'm not sure what else would give you any kind of loss though... if you did a backup of HomeSeer, wiped and re-setup, and restored you would be 100% back where you were as you aren't so much "reconstructing" databases for example rather directly copying the files you already have back again... so nothing is rebuilt as such (disclaimer there aren't many databases left they are text files now).

Comment

It's unclear from your post what you are trying to achieve....

I will give you a real-world strategy if you just want to start fresh with some devices (ie, dimmers, switches, etc). I've been there where I changed so many parameters on a dimmer that I lost track... so easy trick is to do a factory reset on the device (the dimmer) and then use the "replace bad node" function in HS4... it will re-include the device without messing up your events or functions that depend on a particular node number/device.

Comment

I think (or hope) that the main problem has been me fiddling with the parameters to "fix" the polling issues and the energy monitoring. What I think I'd really need to do, is to factory reset the parameters on the device itself, and also factory reset all the device settings in HS4.

I was trying to see if there was a way to do that without having to exclude/include every z-wave device, which is obviously going to mess up every event, as well as the logging in the energy database.

I've just done a 'test node connectivity' and more than 3/4 of the 40 mains powered devices didn't respond - it didn't try and connect to the 63 battery operated ones. It also seems to be a bit hit and miss... sometimes a z-wave light comes on first time, sometimes I need to try 2 or 3 or 4 times before it actually turns on.

I'm in a 1700sq ft house, so it's not large, but I'm wondering if there's a limit on how many z-wave devices you should have on a z-troller?

G

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post
          limit on how many z-wave devices you should have on a z-troller?G
          Actually, it's a Z-Net from 2016, which is probably also running the original firmware - I can't seem to find if there's been any update for it.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post
            I've just done a 'test node connectivity' and more than 3/4 of the 40 mains powered devices didn't respond - it didn't try and connect to the 63 battery operated ones. It also seems to be a bit hit and miss... sometimes a z-wave light comes on first time, sometimes I need to try 2 or 3 or 4 times before it actually turns on.

G
            You have issues that have nothing to do with individual device parameters. With 40 mains powered devices in a 1700 sq ft house you should have a very strong mesh, unless there's something unusual going on like the majority of devices are concentrated on one side of the house. I have a 1500 sq ft house with less than that many mains powered devices, and my network extends into a detached garage over 40 ft away with no problems.

Are you running HS4 Pro? If so then you need to run HomeSeer+ to map out your network and see where communications might be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
              Are you running HS4 Pro? If so then you need to run HomeSeer+ to map out your network and see where communications might be an issue.
              Yes I'm running HS4 Pro... and apparently I also bought Z-Seer+ way back in 2009 and completely forgot I had it.
              Looking at some of the routing, I have some doozies going on...

Switch in the 1st floor master bedroom, routes to one of the switches in the basement, which then routes through another 3 switches in the basement, before hitting a power socket in my office, which is on the 1st floor (right NEXT to the master bedroom), which then connects to the Z-Net on the 1st floor... I don't know if I should or

So far, I've been through all the powered devices, and set anything that wasn't directly connected to auto, which means that most things are now direct connect. I have a switch in the bathroom that doesn't want to play ball, and is showing red. I have a zooz to replace it, I just haven't got round to it yet, so I may have to push that up the list.

I'm going to start on the battery devices next, and see if I get some of them cleaned up.

No idea if this is going to make much of a difference - I guess we'll see tonight

Thanks for the suggestion on Z-Seer; I'd completely forgotten about it.

G

Comment

Battery devices do not listen and route... you should not bother touching them until your mains powered devices are straightened out.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                  Battery devices do not listen and route... you should not bother touching them until your mains powered devices are straightened out.
                  Yeah, I know they're not routable, but I went in and changed some of them as they were routing thru some horrible routes, and a couple of them were routing to some devices that didn't have a command path.

So.. once that was done, we had a decent night last night. All the devices operated as they were meant to, and the WAF factor didn't go down any further, so I'm good with that.

When I left things, everything had a command route, mostly all direct, but a couple with a single hop. Which was fine.

I've come back this morning and had a look, and some of the devices that were direct yesterday, are now showing a single hop. Not overly bothered about that at the moment, but it's interesting.

What's a little more worrying, is that some of the devices that had a route yesterday, don't have one today, so I'm not sure what that's about ATM.

I'll let it be tonight, and see how it looks again in the morning.

G

Comment

Working...
                  X