Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS4 - Z-Wave 4.0 Plugin Feedback (Requested by Mark, Crosspost from Reddit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 - Z-Wave 4.0 Plugin Feedback (Requested by Mark, Crosspost from Reddit)

Thus far it is fast and stable for me, however it should be noted that it does kill all legacy ZWave pages and options in both the ZWave configuration as well as under devices.
    Strangely, options that seem frowned upon (E.g. "Optimize Full") are found all over the place (despite Rich constantly advising against it's use) while most of the useful zwave tasks (previously located under the device itself) have now moved to a dedicated option under the zwave plug-in menu (decreasing their utility).

This means if I'm trying to test connection and optimize a single device it is now a more difficult task.

Previously:
    1. Search for device
    2. Click Device
    3. Click ZWave Tab
    4. Click "Manage Zwave" (I forget the text on the button)
    5. Click on ZWave task you need.
      • To perform another task, you simply touch another button (one action)
    ZW 4.0 Plugin:
    1. Click Plugins
    2. Click ZWave
    3. Click "Device Diagnostics"
    4. Find device in drop down list
      • All new ZWave Plugin dialogs seem to ignore the "Display Location 1 First" setting. Which means this is horribly out of order for some of us.
      • This is a chore for those of us with lots of devices.
    5. Click Continue
    6. Select your task
    7. Click Continue
    8. Click Start
    9. To perform a second task, click "Run Another Function" and then perform all these steps again.
      • Clicking "Run another function" resets all dialogs and you must find the device in the lists again.
    As noted above; The new plugin does not adhere to Homeseer's own configuration setting for "Display Location 1 First" which is frustrating.
    I would love if they provided a built in "Swap Loc1 / Loc2 Values" tool, since even they can't remember to support their own features.
    The new "Device Information" is a welcome update to the slow and large "Node Information" from previous iterations.

All said, mostly good. But expect changes.

Originally posted by Jeeves View Post
    Thus far it is fast and stable for me, however it should be noted that it does kill all legacy ZWave pages and options in both the ZWave configuration as well as under devices.
    Strangely, options that seem frowned upon (E.g. "Optimize Full") are found all over the place (despite Rich constantly advising against it's use) while most of the useful zwave tasks (previously located under the device itself) have now moved to a dedicated option under the zwave plug-in menu (decreasing their utility).

This means if I'm trying to test connection and optimize a single device it is now a more difficult task.

Previously:
    1. Search for device
    2. Click Device
    3. Click ZWave Tab
    4. Click "Manage Zwave" (I forget the text on the button)
    5. Click on ZWave task you need.
      • To perform another task, you simply touch another button (one action)
    ZW 4.0 Plugin:
    1. Click Plugins
    2. Click ZWave
    3. Click "Device Diagnostics"
    4. Find device in drop down list
      • All new ZWave Plugin dialogs seem to ignore the "Display Location 1 First" setting. Which means this is horribly out of order for some of us.
      • This is a chore for those of us with lots of devices.
    5. Click Continue
    6. Select your task
    7. Click Continue
    8. Click Start
    9. To perform a second task, click "Run Another Function" and then perform all these steps again.
      • Clicking "Run another function" resets all dialogs and you must find the device in the lists again.
    As noted above; The new plugin does not adhere to Homeseer's own configuration setting for "Display Location 1 First" which is frustrating.
    I would love if they provided a built in "Swap Loc1 / Loc2 Values" tool, since even they can't remember to support their own features.
    The new "Device Information" is a welcome update to the slow and large "Node Information" from previous iterations.

All said, mostly good. But expect changes.

I find this approach of "step-through" or "wizard" or whatever you want to call it exceptionally tedious and frustrating. It's the main reason I uninstalled the z-wave UI plugin almost immediately after installing it. Maybe good for someone who needs to use the functions once or twice a year, but painful for regular use.

Originally posted by Jeeves View Post
    Eliminating the need to start over would be a big step in making it more usable.
    -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

I find this approach of "step-through" or "wizard" or whatever you want to call it exceptionally tedious and frustrating. It's the main reason I uninstalled the z-wave UI plugin almost immediately after installing it. Maybe good for someone who needs to use the functions once or twice a year, but painful for regular use.

Eliminating the need to start over would be a big step in making it more usable.
      I agree fully. The transition in HS to using these wizards should be a toggle. They may be great for a beginner, but it's an exercise in frustration for the seasoned user.

Likewise, removing quick management tools from under the zwave device settings is a grievous error. Don't make us go hunting a tool that should be located within the context of the device. I'm glad they added firmware updates, but why relocate those useful options?

Comment

Rupp Can we merge this with one of the other two threads discussing the beta plugin?
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
        X