• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Duplicates

Crossposted to Z-NET forum too as not sure where issue lies

HS4 Standard Edition 4.2.16.0
    Z-Wave 4.0.3.0

I recently removed a device from my Z-Wave system. Once removed it for some reason did a rescan. I now have a ton of duplicate Z-Wave devices. Some have features, some dont. Weirdly they all seem to respond.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	615
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1569586

For example, my lamp in the lounge. I have the original device and a new device. Both with different reference numbers. Both can control the same device. I cannot "remove bad node" on either as they show as still communicating. If I turn one on, the device turns on but the other duplicate does not. If I turn it off and turn on the duplicate, the device turns on but the original does not.

Name:	Capture2.png
Views:	508
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1569587

My events still are able to use and control the original devices. When they turn on the original device they still control them fine, but the duplicate doesn't update to show on.

Other anomalies, going into Z-Wave>Device Information. I can see Node 113 (the example I am using) but cannot see the original Lounge Lamp device.

How the hell do I pick this apart?​

My Z-Wave interface reports 40 devices. I now have almost double that, and most of the original devices don't appear under Z-Wave>Device information

My first thought was to work through all the device and delete the originals and keep the new ones, but most of the new ones are missing features so are unusable.

Confused on where to do from here.

Comment

As a test, I ran "Create Homeseer Devices" again thinking this might create the missing child/features. But it didn't. I now have 2 duplicates of every device (so three in total).

Totally and utterly messed up now.

Comment

Annoyingly I tried to exclude an old Z-Wave device I no longer use and the exclusion process resulted in another scan and another set of duplicates created.

It seems that any time I get the controller to do anything, it rescans and creates a new set of duplicates. How do I stop this behaviour?

Thanks

Comment

Ever find a solution?
          I migrated from HS4 linux on zee s2, to HS4 Pro on Win10pro.
          Also switched to a znet
          After doing several scans and other functions I now have dozens of duplicate devices, most are just status devices, but a few are full devices with light on/off. I cannot delete them! I run zwave test connectivity twice which fails and then remove bad node, but that always fails.
          I tried wiping the znet and all the devices remain.

Comment

Not a good one no.

I engaged Homeseer support and there was no way to resolve other than a full reset of the Z-Wave interface. I then had to manually exclude each device and re-add to the newly reset interface. Took quite a while. It is working much better since then though but was a nightmare accessing all the modules.

Comment

Originally posted by MFULLER View Post
              Not a good one no.

I engaged Homeseer support and there was no way to resolve other than a full reset of the Z-Wave interface. I then had to manually exclude each device and re-add to the newly reset interface. Took quite a while. It is working much better since then though but was a nightmare accessing all the modules.
              MFULLER do you have a ticket#, I will reference that when reporting my case.

I hope tthey will solve this bug. Same behaviour.

Name:	image.png
Views:	357
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1585748

---
              John

Comment

Not a good one no.

Thanks for the follow up, I am dreading removing all zwave and especially rebuilding events. Looks like it may be the only option though.
                I did try resetting the z-net and even after restarting the zwave interface I still have all my correct and duplicate zwave devices (none work though as they are not on the z-net yet). So I may have to uninstall the z-wave plugin as well to get the devices to disappear before starting over?

Also, I would maybe just live with all these ghost devices to avoid a restart, but I can't even change their name, so I have a million different 'Floors' one for each Node, which makes some screens a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

MFULLER do you have a ticket#, I will reference that when reporting my case.

I hope tthey will solve this bug. Same behaviour.

Name:	image.png
Views:	357
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1585748

---
                  John
                  Ticket was: HSCS-16278

Comment

These are the steps to I followed from support:

The steps are as follows:
                    1. Erase the Z-Wave network from Plugins > Z-Wave > Advanced Functions
                    2. Delete the devices from the Devices page
                    3. Run a a removal on a Z-Wave device from Plugins > Z-Wave > Remove Device. This will clear the old network data out of the device the removal is run on. Erasing the Z-Wave network on your interface does not complete this step.
                    4. Add the device from Plugins > Z-Wave > Add Device

Comment

I'm not terribly clear on this (i. e. I can't believe what I think I hear!):

These are the steps I followed from support:

The steps are as follows:
                      1. Erase the Z-Wave network from Plugins > Z-Wave > Advanced Functions
                      2. Delete the devices from the Devices page
                      3. Run a removal on a Z-Wave device from Plugins > Z-Wave > Remove Device. This will clear the old network data out of the device the removal is run on. Erasing the Z-Wave network on your interface does not complete this step.
                      1. At this point, have we deleted all of the devices???

2. Add the device from Plugins > Z-Wave > Add Device
                    • So, at this point (1) do ALL of the devices need to be re-added (2) the network rebuilt, and (3) all of the affected events repaired?

HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Basically reset the interface. Delete and straggling devices then exclude each module one by one (so manage interface, remove a node then activate the device dis-associate function). This will tell the device to remove itself from the network (even though we reset the network, it's still associated).
                      Once all devices have been manually excluded, we can re-add then. I seem to remember just to be sure I reset the network again and I added them all again as non-secure.

Comment

I had some surprising luck on my system. Not sure if I am 100% yet but its close.

I realized that I also could not remove virtual devices from the device menu. So decided there was something seriously screwed up with my entire homeseer. Not sure if this was from my upgrade from HS3 to HS4, or my transition from HS4 zee2 to HS4pro windows.

So I went nuclear and uninstalled HS4. But to my surprise when I reinstalled HS4 pro, all my stuff was still there even they I clicked the box on uninstall to remove everything.

After reinstalling the device menus were working again and I could remove devices that way. I deleted the bulk of the ghost devices with a bulk device edit in the device menu on all the z-wave node x ghost devices. Surprisingly this worked pretty well.

Reset the z-wave plugin, and only a few of the ghost devices returned. And these duplicate and ghost devices I could remove with the z-wave plugin using diagnostic->test connectivity x2 ->remove bad node.

After restarting the plugin again none of the ghost/duplicates returned!

I did have to re-add 2 zwave devices that got lost in the process and fix the events that those broke, but sure beats adding 30 device and fixing all events (I have quite a few complex events).

I am still having some connectivity issues with my bali blinds, they were working last night but only 1 out of 5 are working today (they are hard wires, but seems like they act more like battery devices in regard to zwave because they have the option to be battery or plugged in). Going to try optimizing a second light switch in that room. I had already optimized one light switch in that room but I am getting a failure to record return path when I re-optimize that light switch, its a HS200 which I've usually had good luck with.

Comment

I swear in 2023 I would think there would be the technology to make a mesh network like z-wave but that is easy to manage and works all the time.

But my next project is replacing deco x20 mesh wifi network because that is a junk network as well!

Comment

This is not a z-wave problem its a HS4 problem. If you close HS4 and interrogate the z-wave controller the config is fine and as expected. For some reason HS4 forgets about the devices its already created and just creates more, and more, and more. I've already wasted days removing all the nodes, resetting the interface, then adding them all again, and actually I've done that 3 times now which is what prompted me to talk to the dammed controller and see what its deal is.

So Homeseer could quite easily write something to go and re-attach the z-wave devices back to the physical nodes, but will they? no.

FWIW I was seriously considering getting a Z-NET because perhaps their support of that would be better, but from reading here, its not.

So I'm moving all my z-wave to Home assistant, which just works, and then I might bridge the devices to HS4 or not, but not going around and around with this crap anymore.

Comment

• Working...
                              X