Reviving ZRC90-US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviving ZRC90-US

There’s a really long thread about this device from 2017-2019 here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...us-on-homeseer

Here we are in 2022 and now on HS4 and the beta Z-Wave Plug-In 4.0.3.0 and I'm having problems.

According to the previous thread many folks got this working with HS3. It's like an 8 button version of the much beloved Minimote. A really nice device.
    When I include the device into my network all I get is the Root device, no child devices so I cannot detect any Central Scene presses.

I use Alexa a lot to control my system but, not to be snarky, it helps to have a backup when MyHS goes down for an extended period like it did recently.

The log file seems to show a lot of steps missing during the inclusion.

10/29/2022 3:48:01 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 0
    10/29/2022 3:47:59 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
    10/29/2022 3:47:59 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Found 46 Z-Wave nodes
    10/29/2022 3:47:59 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Getting Z-Wave node list for network EEEE4FD6...
    10/29/2022 3:47:57 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave HS Smartstick +: Controller firmware version: 4.32
    10/29/2022 3:47:17 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave HS Smartstick +: Contacting node 99 to get supported features
    10/29/2022 3:47:17 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave HS Smartstick +: Device Downstairs Living Room Remotec Generic Controller (99) is missing Z-Wave Command Class information, Wake-Up Notification is attempting to retrieve it.
    10/29/2022 3:44:43 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 99, ID: 21076=5254H (Remotec), Type: 0=0H, ID: 34064=8510H
    10/29/2022 3:44:43 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave HS Smartstick +: Node 99 is reporting -1 command classes in the node information.
    10/29/2022 3:44:43 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave HS Smartstick +: Contacting node 99 to get supported features
    10/29/2022 3:44:43 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Checking if we can reach node 99
    10/29/2022 3:44:43 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 1
    10/29/2022 3:44:38 PM Legacy-Plugin Z-Wave Done. Node 99 Added.​

Would it be possible if you folks at HomeSeer could take another look at this for HS4. It seems like it could be very popular if it could be made to work easily given the choice of remotes out there.

Mine would not include properly in a controller with ~75 nodes. I had to put a new controller in then I included 4 of them that are still working well. It is my understanding that Remotec fixed that in later versions. If that is not the issue in your case, wake it up and rescan. That will usually get the features (child) built. On one of mine I had to try a couple of times. Remember that all battery powered devices require you to be quick because they are only awake for a short period.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I have 46 nodes I think. Just bought the device this weekend so hopefully it’s newer than 2019 version 😚
      The Z-Wave HS4 plug-in doesn’t seem to have a re-scan specifically. It does have device diagnostics ….. which does in fact do a re-scan. The re-scan passed without doing anything 😩. I think the problem maybe is that the device is reporting -1 command classes, according to the log. Or maybe that’s an HS4 Z-Wave plug-in bug.

Comment

The rescan function is the same. I have included one more under HS4 successfully. It sounds like the plug-in didn’t successfully query the device, it probably wasn’t awake. I would exclude the device and try again. As I wrote above, these devices give you a very narrow window to complete inclusion. I remember on the older ones I included initially I had to keep waking them up during inclusion (with the internal button) every 15 seconds or so. That kept them awake during interrogation. The one I included under HS4 earlier this year did not need this.

Did the log show anything during the rescan?

Comment

Just to give me hope and keep trying, are you running the HS4 Z-Wave Plug-In or the HS3 version under HS4?

Comment

3.0.11.0. I’m told the Z-Wave core is the same between V3 and V4. All they did was wrap a HS4 GUI around it. Before to get the HS4 GUI you ran the core plus a second Z-Wave UI plug-in. The V4 puts it all in one package. The last I heard was that a complete rewrite is required to fully update the core due to the new SDK.

Lastly, I’m not certain, but there are a lot of grumblings about the rollout of the new SDK has presented problems.

So, the bottom line is that I *believe” the V4 and V3 plug-ins are virtually the same at the core level. I know when I ran the V4 for a few days, it still had the same issue of spiking CPU during and after an inclusion. It certainly *felt* the same in that regard. I will switch back to V4 when they get the polling adjustments back. I understand that is coming soon. I also hope they can put at least a clear route function in the V4 as that has been useful from time to time.

Comment

I hooked up a Z-Wave sniffer to another PC with another Z-Wave stick I had. It's the Gensys sniffer s/w that comes with the Aeon Labs firmware upgrades. It's very old, from about 2014 I think, maybe even pre-Z-Wave Plus. I included the remote to this network and watched what came through. Not much. It added the node as a simple remote controller. Presumably command classes had to be polled for so I did a get node info after pressing the "W" button.

When you press the "W" button the remote starts frantically sending wake ups maybe 4 times a second. The Get Node Info acknowledged but nothing got returned as far as I could see.

When pressing one of the regular buttons I see the wake up go out and then the battery level with data, in my case 100, go out. I don't see a Central Scene command go out but maybe this sniffer software is so old that Central Scene wasn't around back then (is that Plus thing?) and so doesn't recognize it.

For now, I'll add the device to my unused box. Shame!

Comment

i have them working just fine with HS4 and the newest Beta 4.x Z-wave plugin. Two things to note -- one, add insecure; and two, i added mine using the L for Learn mode. Both worked like a charm.

Comment

Interesting. I used the “L” + “R” buttons per the manual. I believe it stays awake longer. I use the “W” button to wake them for rescan. Definitely add non secure as it really reduces the steps in interrogation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	930FAC6C-045A-4433-8EDA-CB1BA58556AC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	1573262

Comment

I went back and forth trying to decipher the instructions as to whether to use L or L+R... I finally found this page:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...FrequencyId=-1 which has a link to a PDF under manual download which makes it much more clear that L+R creates a PRIMARY controller and L just adds it in as a scene controller...

Comment

Originally posted by ecetron View Post
                      I went back and forth trying to decipher the instructions as to whether to use L or L+R... I finally found this page:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...FrequencyId=-1 which has a link to a PDF under manual download which makes it much more clear that L+R creates a PRIMARY controller and L just adds it in as a scene controller...
                      I thought “W” + “L” creates a primary. I may be remembering incorrectly. I have one in my spares bin. I’ll include it tomorrow and post back how it works. I do remember that Rich told me these are unique in that they include as a controller. That was the reason mine didn’t work on busy controllers, because the entire network is sent to them.

It is interesting to compare how these include vs the similar 4 button Hank, which sort of bears out what Rich told me.

Remotec.

Click image for larger version  Name:	766A7881-915D-4704-A5C7-BC4158F01DB9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.7 KB ID:	1573271

Hank

Click image for larger version  Name:	5C5F485A-E168-4951-B975-906F931E77F1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	1573272

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	78
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1573276

Comment

Working...
                        X