3.x Plugin with G3 Z-Net. Does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.x Plugin with G3 Z-Net. Does it work?

I'm helping someone set up a new Z-Net and I'd prefer to use the 3.x Z-Wave plugin since that's what I'm using.

Does a G3 Z-Net work with the 3.x plugin? Other than the firmware showing as "unknown" are there any other issues?
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

According to the requirements it should work

Comment

3.0.11.0 works with the V3. The routing information will not show on the Node Information page with a V3 controller.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post
        According to the requirements it should work
        Thanks. "should" being the operative word here. I'm hoping to get some input from someone who's using it with a G3.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Thanks. "should" being the operative word here. I'm hoping to get some input from someone who's using it with a G3.
          I am. Two of mine are 700 series and the rest are not. They all work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            3.0.11.0 works with the V3. The routing information will not show on the Node Information page with a V3 controller.
            Thanks Randy. So the routing information is an issue with the 700 chip itself, not the way it's implemented in the plugin? That's a bummer. I really like using Z-Seer+ as a hand-holding tool while building a new network. She's using Zigbee right now but wants to add Z-Wave. I'm going to have her hold-off until the routing info gets fixed in Z-Seer+. Hopefully <fingers crossed> it will be soon.

Comment

I can’t help but think the information is available from the 700 chip, but Rich has stated that the route can no longer be set in the 700s as it is in the 500s. I think the 700 series is going to end up like Windows Vista or 8. It feels like the real move is going to be to the 800.

Comment

Luckily. Z-Nets are out of stock so she wasn't able to order one. I told her to hold off and I'm going to loan her an Aeotec Z-Stick to get started.

Comment

Randy, I am in the same boat here; HS4 w/ 3.011.0 Z-Wave using a 5 year old ZNet, and a new G3 setting on the shelf, bought last December. Help me understand a couple things here please that have me confused. Which devices are the 700 vs 800? And/or how do I determine what I have?

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
                    Randy, I am in the same boat here; HS4 w/ 3.011.0 Z-Wave using a 5 year old ZNet, and a new G3 setting on the shelf, bought last December. Help me understand a couple things here please that have me confused. Which devices are the 700 vs 800? And/or how do I determine what I have?
                    The thing about Z-Wave is an 800 series controller can control all Z-Wave 800 series and earlier Devices. A 700 series controller will operate 700 series and earlier Devices, but will likely control 800 series Devices if they are not using command classes for an 800 series controller. You can take a backup of your old Z-Net, remove it, install and configure the new Z-Net, then restore from the backup. Iv've done the same conversion now about 15 times while testing the 700 series controller. It worked every time. The only difficulty is that you will lose all routing information. Z-Wave plus devices will cure themselves, but legacy devices may need intervention.

Your new Z-Net is a 700 series controller. The new HS-WX800 dimmer/switch uses the 800 series chip but is fully compatible with the 700 series controller. About the only 800 series items requiring a newer controller will be Z-Wave LR devices. The 700 series supports them at a lower range, an 800 series controller is required to get the full 1.5 mile range and 12-bit addressing space to support up to 4000 devices in a star topology as opposed to a mesh. . If Z-Wave LR lives up to its potential, it will be a game changer for Z-Wave.

Comment

I have a new Znet G3 and using Z wave hs4 plugin 4.1.03 It works ok but will not include any new devices 500 or 700. What is best move. Go back to Version 3 plugin or go back to old znet

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                        The thing about Z-Wave is an 800 series controller can control all Z-Wave 800 series and earlier Devices. ...
                        Thanks Randy, that answers my questions, perfect! So HST does not (yet) offer a Z-Net with a 800 controller.(?) Is my 5 year old Z-Net a 500 controller?

My plan was to keep my old Z-Net network and remove a couple of garage/patio devices and create a new network using the new G3, adding back the removed devices to the new network. So how much of the Z-Tool+ function do I lose in that configuration? Like many others, I hate not being able to add new devices with Z-Tool+. What about Z-Seer+ function, any loss there?

Thanks much for your guidance and counsel, it is invaluable.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post

Thanks Randy, that answers my questions, perfect! So HST does not (yet) offer a Z-Net with a 800 controller.(?) Is my 5 year old Z-Net a 500 controller?

My plan was to keep my old Z-Net network and remove a couple of garage/patio devices and create a new network using the new G3, adding back the removed devices to the new network. So how much of the Z-Tool+ function do I lose in that configuration? Like many others, I hate not being able to add new devices with Z-Tool+. What about Z-Seer+ function, any loss there?

Thanks much for your guidance and counsel, it is invaluable.

Gary
                          Your old one was a 500 series. You should be able to exclude from any version of Z-Net and include to any version Z-Net using any plug-in 3.0.11.0 or later. I’ve done it in both directions (from 500 to 700 or the reverse) a number of times successfully. No 800 series controller from HST yet. I did read they are working on it. I purchased an 800 from Zooz and another from an eBay reseller. The eBay one with an external antenna is one I’d like to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	174
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	1609500
                          They will both include and control devices, but neither will backup or restore under the HS plug-in. The 800 series controller with 800 series long range devices will be a game changer if they live up to their promise. I use and have used Z-Tool+ with both controller versions and every plug-in 3.0.11.0 and later. I don’t use Z-Seer+ but I have read it may or may not function with the 700 series. HST have updated it to correct the issue, but I haven’t kept up with the outcome.

Comment

Excellent feedback, once again. Thanks.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X