Upgade to ZWave 4.x.x.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgade to ZWave 4.x.x.x

Is it worth doing the upgrade to 4.x.x.x ??
    I am currently running version 3.0.10.0 plugin on my HS4 Win10 NUC without any issues.
    Does the saying "if it aint broke don't fix it" apply here or will there be a benefit doing the upgrade.

My suggestion is to upgrade to 3.0.11.0. There were some changes in the beta that are worthwhile. I would avoid the 4.X route until it is fixed. Currently there is still no way to set or change Z-Wave routing or node info in 4.X and the UI is so slow it is difficult to confirm a non communicating node for removal. There is no advantage to 4.X as far as I know. 4.X also breaks all 8 of my Remotec remotes currently working under 3.0.11.0. This may be fixable by excluding/including, but 4.X was unsuccessful excluding one. I ended up resetting one, only to find I could not succeed with inclusion. Since we cannot function fully without these remotes, it is a non starter to lose them.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Randy....much appreciated.

Originally posted by randy View Post
      My suggestion is to upgrade to 3.0.11.0.
      Did just that and will sit back and wait until things settle down with 4.x

Comment

4.0 also breaks cooper scene controllers which are the ones HS store was selling for a while. The claim is that something in the way they handle scenes doesn't work with 4.0 but if it works with 3.0 I am sure that exception handling could be done on 4.0. Especially since HS themselves were ones who pushed those for years.

I am also having issues with plugin working with ZNET. Often it cannot connect and I have to reboot the ZNET. I am trying to get to the bottom of this but 3.0 never had such issues.

Comment

This may be fixable by excluding/including, but 4.X was unsuccessful excluding one. I ended up resetting one, only to find I could not succeed with inclusion. Since we cannot function fully without these remotes, it is a non starter to lose them.
          Yes that is another problem I hit with 4.0 - inclusion often doesn't work properly. I bring all new devices within inches of ZNET and still inclusion fails, leading to attempts to remove, reset etc. Sometimes partial inclusion can be fixed by doing rescan, sometimes ... this is problematic even with brand new devices like Zooz scene controller.

Comment

My suggestion is to upgrade to 3.0.11.0. There were some changes in the beta that are worthwhile. I would avoid the 4.X route until it is fixed. Currently there is still no way to set or change Z-Wave routing or node info in 4.X and the UI is so slow it is difficult to confirm a non communicating node for removal. There is no advantage to 4.X as far as I know. 4.X also breaks all 8 of my Remotec remotes currently working under 3.0.11.0. This may be fixable by excluding/including, but 4.X was unsuccessful excluding one. I ended up resetting one, only to find I could not succeed with inclusion. Since we cannot function fully without these remotes, it is a non starter to lose them.
            Says a lot when Randy says stay on v3 and NOT move to v4, a 8mo old Plugin (based on 20 years of working with Zwave - yes, HS started supporting Zwave in 2003!)

Doing Randy's normal glass half-full on this... they updated the UI!

hahaha, sorry, had to. I hope it gets you mad the v4 PI is STILL worse than the 'not good but mostly works and slows down frequently and hangs some times' v3 and they dont see to care as much about fixing it let alone improving it, even though Zwave is the most needed PI in homeseer. They'd rather spend time on a HSTouch only 5% of the use base cares about

Comment

FWIW I was able to get the Remotec remotes to work. I had to reset them and include them again, but they all work - under 4.1.0.3 or 3.0.11.0. I also had no problems including them under either plug-in. I was holding off before moving to 4, but that was the last deal breaker. I also wish the V4 plug-in allowed for editing Z-Wave node numbers, but Jon00’s device viewer allows for editing them, so I will likely switch to 4.1.0.3 tomorrow.

Comment

FWIW I was able to get the Remotec remotes to work. I had to reset them and include them again, but they all work - under 4.1.0.3 or 3.0.11.0. I also had no problems including them under either plug-in. I was holding off before moving to 4, but that was the last deal breaker. I also wish the V4 plug-in allowed for editing Z-Wave node numbers, but Jon00’s device viewer allows for editing them, so I will likely switch to 4.1.0.3 tomorrow.
                randy Thanks for the reference to the Jon00 utilities - I found and installed both Jon00 Device List Viewer and Jon00 Device Viewer (wasn't clear which one you meant). These are both excellent utilities but I seem to be missing how I get to the proper screen to be able edit the Z-Wave node numbers? Any chance you can post a screenshot or two to point me in the right direction? (I did review Jon00's docs for these utilities but either I'm missing something obvious there or they don't mention the edit zwave node number part)

Comment

Originally posted by smuskiew73 View Post

randy Thanks for the reference to the Jon00 utilities - I found and installed both Jon00 Device List Viewer and Jon00 Device Viewer (wasn't clear which one you meant). These are both excellent utilities but I seem to be missing how I get to the proper screen to be able edit the Z-Wave node numbers? Any chance you can post a screenshot or two to point me in the right direction? (I did review Jon00's docs for these utilities but either I'm missing something obvious there or they don't mention the edit zwave node number part)
                  I apologize. It was not Jon’s plug-in. I am looking at another new plug-in. It is Stephxx’s HS4 internals plug-in that I am testing. That aside, HST did state that node number editing would be back in the Z-Wave plug-in in a future release.

HS4 internals is a very powerful plug-in that is just being developed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0E43B25B-15A7-4122-B512-D70CF1E10FDB.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1589280
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	4A0873E2-AE45-40C6-8DD1-DFCFF5185C82.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1589279

Comment

No worries randy, just thought I might be missing something since jon00's plugins are pretty awesome! 😀

I had seen your mention of Stephxx’s HS4 internals plug-in on another thread as well, maybe will give that a look, though it's also good to know that HST will (eventually) return the node number editing feature to the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
                      4.0 also breaks cooper scene controllers which are the ones HS store was selling for a while. The claim is that something in the way they handle scenes doesn't work with 4.0 but if it works with 3.0 I am sure that exception handling could be done on 4.0. Especially since HS themselves were ones who pushed those for years.

I am also having issues with plugin working with ZNET. Often it cannot connect and I have to reboot the ZNET. I am trying to get to the bottom of this but 3.0 never had such issues.
                      I also noted that I sometimes have to reboot one or more ZNET controllers. This may have started happening after I upgraded to the Z-Wave 4.x plugin but I did notice I almost always have to reboot a ZNET controller if I reboot the router. Both of my ZNETs are hard wired and not on Wifi.

I had to scrap my Cooper controllers after upgrading to 4.x. I never liked how Cooper handled controlling the indicator LEDs. I think 4.x stopped trying to control those because the function was deprecated from the latest Z-Wave specs. I moved to ZEN-32s. It took some events to process the ZEN-32 buttons and a few more events to control the ZEN-32 LEDs using parameter change commands. You can also assign associations to the buttons. While not a perfect replacement, it is adaptable and performs consistently. Support from ZEN is great too.

Comment

I just migrated from HS3 to HS4 and upped from the version 3 Z-wave plugin to the version 4. I wish I'd read this thread before I did. One thing I've noticed is that the log file shows all the Z-Wave commands are 'From' the "Legacy-Plugin" even though that plugin is gone from my system.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinTexas View Post
                          I just migrated from HS3 to HS4 and upped from the version 3 Z-wave plugin to the version 4. I wish I'd read this thread before I did. One thing I've noticed is that the log file shows all the Z-Wave commands are 'From' the "Legacy-Plugin" even though that plugin is gone from my system.
                          Yes seems to be expected: Upgrade to Z-wave 4.x still producing legacy plugin messages - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

Thanks Person. I didn't see that post. Sorry for the redundancy.

Comment

Working...
                            X