Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to move devices between zwave interfaces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to move devices between zwave interfaces?

Is there an easy way to move devices between zWave interfaces? I want to avoid Exclude/Include/Reprogram Events.

Thanks,
    Lou

I posed, essentially the same question, and the answer was mostly, "There isn't!" Check here.

The next conundrum is best practices to back up more than one hub...
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by NC-Lou View Post
      Is there an easy way to move devices between zWave interfaces? I want to avoid Exclude/Include/Reprogram Events.

Thanks,
      Lou
      There is not an easy way, because the new HomeID needs to be written to the destination device. This only occurs during exclusion. I'm not aware of any other way to set that. I posted this in December:

Unfortunately with 4.2.17.2 and later, the legacy Event Management page has been deprecated.

To move devices to the new controller, they will need to be excluded from the primary first, then included in the new HomeID.

What I did was to
      1. shut down HomeSeer
      2. Reset the devices I wanted to move. With HomeSeer not running, resetting a device will not remove the affiliated HS Devices
      3. restart HomeSeer
      4. include them in the new controller using the same naming, but adding NEW to the name
      5. filter the Events based on the old names, then edit them to use the new names. This is much easier in HS3 or with the legacy events page in HS4
      6. go to each old device, “Test Connectivity” twice, then after two failures “Remove bad node”
      This method was the least painful I could come up with for mass changes in Events.

It is a pain to move Z-Wave devices, but is manageable if carefully planned.​
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. I like your method because it is somewhat batch oriented instead of one at a time.

Thanks,
        Lou

Comment

I see 4.2.17.0 has been released. Is 4.2.17.2 a beta destined to be released as 4.2.18.0? If so, looks like my upgrades stop at 4.2.17.0 until HST improves their event management pages.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
            I see 4.2.17.0 has been released. Is 4.2.17.2 a beta destined to be released as 4.2.18.0? If so, looks like my upgrades stop at 4.2.17.0 until HST improves their event management pages.
            Yes, it is leading to 4.2.18.0. I’m on 4.2.17.2. The missing legacy Event page is definitely a problem for me. Jon00’s Event plug-in helps, but I miss being able to 1) filter Events on a handful of different items and having that filter stick until I remove it, even if the device is gone 2) being able to edit the Events that contained the devices without having to set a new filter. .2 has a huge improvement - you can open up several browser tabs each with a different event and edit any of them without corrupting the other Event tabs or windows. Conditional Actions are a neat addition, but they don’t really affect the performance. I’ve dropped 150 (10%) of my events, but see no change in performance. The Conditional Actions definitely make an Event structure look better, but they do not solve any problems that might exist with nested Events. With all the complaining about nested Events being too difficult to manage or debug, they have served me well and prove easier to debug than a complex Conditional Action Event.

Overall, I’m happy with 4.2.17.2 and have no regrets about switching, but I am anxious for HST to fix the search window and to add the planned device specific drop-down for Event filters like HS3. Meanwhile these annoyances are just that. They don’t prevent the product from working, they just make it a little more difficult.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
            X