Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zigbee... almost useless... how can I help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee... almost useless... how can I help.

I have unfortunately got a bunch of zigbee based motorized blinds. Homeseer... well it only supports 6 things... and one of them isn't blinds. So... any ideas? It does not appear to be an open plugin I can contribute to, and I would like to avoid setting up multiple devices...

There are several plugins that support zigbee. HST is the last to the game. JowiHue, Hubitat, Zigbee2MQTT are all good choices depending upon ease of use, cost, and capability as being your dominant criteria.

Comment

As Michael stated, there are several active Zigbee related plug-ins and technologies for HS. The problem with the native plugin is that HST resources are already stretched thin and development of the plugin doesn't seem to be a priority. That's why I'm going to invest in the JowiHue plugin since there's a dedicated developer behind it who responds to requests and issues on a timely basis.

Comment

Can I still use the Nortek combo Zigbee/Zwave device I got with my HS4 upgrade or do I need to setup a separate gateway?

Comment

I believe only the HST plugin uses that interface. I think JowiHue is $100 to $200 depending upon the configuration for HW & SW. $100 for Hubitat. $10 for Zigbee2MQTT. Zigbee2MQTT supported devices are at https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/informati...d_devices.html. There is a start of a comparative support page at https://github.com/blakadder/zigbee. For JowiHue the support list is at https://github.com/dresden-elektroni...ported-Devices. Hubitat's official list is at https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?t...atible_Devices, but there is also a number of community supported devices that are supported much like the HS 3rd party plugins are supported.

Comment

I personally use Jowihue as it's pretty much bulletproof and well supported.

If you're windows then you could get a Conbee for about $40 and plug it into a USB port.

Or you could buy a rpi and the raspbee board. Amazon has it all. Maybe $90 with the rpi and the raspbee.

I personally like the raspbee attached to a dedicated RPi3, no need to get the latest most powerful RPi out there.

​​​​​​​You would not be using the Nortek device, if you can return it then do so.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
              As Michael stated, there are several active Zigbee related plug-ins and technologies for HS. The problem with the native plugin is that HST resources are already stretched thin and development of the plugin doesn't seem to be a priority. That's why I'm going to invest in the JowiHue plugin since there's a dedicated developer behind it who responds to requests and issues on a timely basis.
              That's funny, because HST now sells and promotes a Zwave-Zigbee combo stick and doesn't support the Zigbee part???

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

That's funny, because HST now sells and promotes a Zwave-Zigbee combo stick and doesn't support the Zigbee part???
                Depends on your definition of "support".
                It does in fact work, but the amount of verified/supported Zigbee devices in the plugin part appears to be limited at the moment. Will that improve in time? Of course. But a lot of us want to get things implemented now, so we go with alternative solutions.

I personally wouldn't invest in any combo stick, they will be less optimal in transmission range than separate transceivers. I'm using the ConBee2 USB stick for Zigbee and I'm constantly amazed at the distances it can communicate with my battery operated endpoints.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Depends on your definition of "support".
                  It does in fact work, but the amount of verified/supported Zigbee devices in the plugin part appears to be limited at the moment. Will that improve in time? Of course. But a lot of us want to get things implemented now, so we go with alternative solutions.

I personally wouldn't invest in any combo stick, they will be less optimal in transmission range than separate transceivers. I'm using the ConBee2 USB stick for Zigbee and I'm constantly amazed at the distances it can communicate with my battery operated endpoints.
                  Yup, being I already had the SmartStick+, I have a ConBee2 USB in it's box on top of my server for when I start my Zigbee installs.

Comment

George get that ConBee2 working, buy the JowiHue PI, and you'll be in device heaven. I've been picking up $12 Temp/humidity sensors and Door/window sensors from China that look better and outperform any Z-wave sensors on the market that can't even come close to that price-point. I have a bunch of new Aqara (google them) sensors being delivered this weekend (if the USPS ever gets it's act together). The only time I'm buying Z-wave sensors anymore is when I want to do direct associations, ie, the door sensor automatically turns on the closet light when door opens and shuts off when closed, no events needed.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers! Will do

Comment

I too was anxiously waiting for the HS ZigBee plugin but it appears a long way from supporting Aqara devices (if ever). I did not want to invest too much money in another PI if the native one was coming. I saw that Michael offered a USB ZigBee device for $10 and a free plugin using Zigbee2MQTT! I I thought it was worth a try. It does take a few different of pieces of software to be installed, but there are step by step instructions for various different installations types. Once installed and running it was very straightforward to add devices. In addition Michael is extremely responsive! Not sure why he didn't toot his own horn above but I now have a ZigBee PI for all my Aqara devices and a couple of different repeaters thanks to Michael and all his effort.

Comment

They should open source this plugin so we can work on it. Most of this stuff is easy mode.

Comment

Originally posted by George
                            I have the ConBee stick and a couple of Zigbee devices but from reading here, it seems that Zigbee, at least to me, is gaining traction in the IOT of sensors, beacons and other low powered devices and not as much in HA control of lighting, devices.
                            ZigBee is mainly used in lamps, remotes and sensors. It is much more battery friendly (and faster) than Z-wave. Also there is no limit in the numbers of hops on a route, which is 5 with Z-wave (if I'm correct). Typically ZigBee devices are cheaper, because of the license costs of Z-wave.

Individual lights here are ZigBee. All sensors (door/window, temperature, motion) too. Multi-light dimmers are Z-wave here (haven't found any ZigBee ones that match Z-Wave on this front with power monitoring).

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post

ZigBee is mainly used in lamps, remotes and sensors. It is much more battery friendly (and faster) than Z-wave. Also there is no limit in the numbers of hops on a route, which is 5 with Z-wave (if I'm correct). Typically ZigBee devices are cheaper, because of the license costs of Z-wave.

Individual lights here are ZigBee. All sensors (door/window, temperature, motion) too. Multi-light dimmers are Z-wave here (haven't found any ZigBee ones that match Z-Wave on this front with power monitoring).
                              Same strategy here, I'll be using Zigbee for battery-powered sensors wherever possible, Z-wave for the actual load control devices (dimmers, etc). Wherever I need z-wave direct associations (which are fast and don't need the automation platform to coordinate) I'll use Z-wave sensors to control Z-wave load control devices.

Comment

Working...
                              X