Adding a Nortek USB Stick while using a HS Smartstick+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a Nortek USB Stick while using a HS Smartstick+

I've been using Z-Wave devices exclusively, but now I'd like to add some Zigbee RGB bulbs.

I've been trying - unsuccessfully - to add a ConBee II, so I would like to switch to the Nortek because HS4's plug-in supports it directly.

My question is: I don't want to stop using my SmartSitck+ as my Z-wave controller. Can the Nortek be installed to use just the Zigbee portion and have it coexist with the SmartSick+?

yes,
    What went wrong with the conbee 2? together with the jowihue plugin they are a much better choice then the hs4 zigbee plugin

Comment

I read every post I could find: zshark, wireshark, deCONZ.

No matter how I tried to configure it, HS4 wouldn't see the ConBee.

My assumption is that the natively supported (well, HS provided) plug-in would work in more of a plug & play manner.

Comment

To add some clarification - I have no desire to add Zigbee, but my wife really wants RGB bulbs in certain lamps.

I have one Z-Wave bulb from way back when, but I can't find availability/selection of additional ones in the current world, only Zigbee bulbs.

Comment

Zigbee lighting (Hue, bulbs, color-strips, etc) along with Zigbee low-power (will run longer than a year on a coin cell) and ultra-small sensors (temp, humidity, motion, doors, etc) will change your world. Cheaper than Z-wave equivalent and better in every way. IMO, the combination of JowiHue and Conbee/Raspbee supports a more diverse device ecosystem and is actively supported and maintained.

After years of frustration (high prices and reliability) with Z-wave battery powered devices, my home automation architecture currently is Z-wave for load-control and Zigbee for sensors. And my house automation now runs like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
            Zigbee lighting (Hue, bulbs, color-strips, etc) along with Zigbee low-power (will run longer than a year on a coin cell) and ultra-small sensors (temp, humidity, motion, doors, etc) will change your world. Cheaper than Z-wave equivalent and better in every way. IMO, the combination of JowiHue and Conbee/Raspbee supports a more diverse device ecosystem and is actively supported and maintained.

After years of frustration (high prices and reliability) with Z-wave battery powered devices, my home automation architecture currently is Z-wave for load-control and Zigbee for sensors. And my house automation now runs like a champ.
            Wait, can I not plug it in to one of the the computer's USB ports (did I miss that?)?

I'm trying to reduce the amount of hardware to the bare minimum, even the Bond Bridge I use for a specific fan makes me crazy. KISS has always been my guiding principle whenever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

Wait, can I not plug it in to one of the the computer's USB ports (did I miss that?)?

I'm trying to reduce the amount of hardware to the bare minimum, even the Bond Bridge I use for a specific fan makes me crazy. KISS has always been my guiding principle whenever possible.
              Sorry if I confused things...
              ConBeeII = a Zigbee transceiver that plugs into a USB port (I run everything on the same laptop, HS4, ConBeeII, Z-wave, Node-Red, etc, etc)
              RaspBeeII = the same transceiver but packaged as a RaspberryPi hat. This allows you to make a Zigbee equivalent of a Z-wave Z-Net (a transceiver that hooks directly into your home network so it can be placed physically wherever you want).

Comment

Ok, I took a breath and started again.

Now I have the bridge set up and the JowiHue PI recognized it, but it will not discover Sengled RGBW bulbs when I tell it to scan for devices. I even tried to discover as a sensor. No Joy.

Does anyone know if Sengled products have an issue with the ConBee II/JowiHue PI??

I may just order some Inovelli Red z-wave bulbs from them and be done with this. They're expensive, and can't be bought through Amazon (for easy returns), but I need to move on from this.

Thanks again for any help!

Comment

Sengled bulbs are bad Zigbee citizens, if they are too far away from the Zigbee controller they will not work since they won't route/create a mesh unless you have other mains powered devices. These areknown issues, there's a reason why they are so cheap...

I would not buy anything from Inovelli, but that's a personal bias based on seeing how they run their business, bring products to market, eventually orphaning products, etc. If you are going to spend that much then just buy the best color bulbs made, Philips Hue for the same price as the Inovellis. The upside is that the Hues can be controlled via Zigbee and Bluetooth, and the color fidelity/range is superior.
                  Modern Bulbs | Philips Hue (philips-hue.com)

Comment

TC1 Thanks for the insight, I always appreciate the reasoning and research behind your decisions.

This particular project is for my wife, and after struggling to make a user-friendly color-picker for her to use on the tablets, I just want to be done with this.

I returned the ConBee II and Sengled bulbs. I totally get what you're saying about Inovelli, but the bulbs are currently available, and if they're plug & play with what I already have set up, I'm gonna take it as a win.

I have a lot more patience for projects like adding a weather station, plus she already got her under-cabinet LED strips, so I'm taking the path of least resistance on this one.

Ok, go ahead, call me selfish...

Comment

LOL... no worries. I totally get it. And it's really hard to put a price on good WAF. Well, actually you can... if she's happy then that means you get to keep playing and paying for projects/improvements. Priceless.

Comment

You got that right!

She actually agreed to let me buy a Roland TD-17KVX Gen 2 V-drum kit for my Christmas present this year. I gotta keep making her happy!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X