Unifi Two VLAN Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unifi Two VLAN Set-up

I am trying to get this plugin configured across two VLANs and am at a loss.

I have Unifi equipment and am running multiple VLANs. For this project, two of them are relevant:
    • VLAN 250 - IoT - 192.168.250.0/24
    • VLAN 99 - Trusted - 192.168.99.0/24
    Searching Google for Unifi + Sonos reveals a nightmare of issues where VLANs and Sonos control are concerned. After a year with the Speakers on 250 and the Controllers on 99, the constant tweaking and manual igmp-proxy used to make it work across VLANs became too much. It would work for a month, then become incrementally sluggish, etc., etc. So I moved the Speakers to the 99 VLAN and now the controllers and speakers talk without any issues.

Today I am facing a similar issue where the Hometroller is on 250 (along with most IoT devices), and I can't seem to get it to discover the speakers on 99. In this case I cannot move the Hometroller to 99. I've consulted the FAQ ("If you are using VLANs, check the section how to set this up"), but can't find further documentation. I have also searched this forum but can't seem to find any posts on the subject.

Has anyone had success with Unifi where Homeseer and the speakers are on separate VLANs? The Listening port is receiving nothing (picture attached) so I know it's the network configuration. I have manually set the event and discovery ports per the documentation and I believe I have the firewall rules set correctly, but routing (maybe TTL) may be the problem. I read that port forwarding can solve this, but can't find further documentation on that.

Avoiding all the Unifi network config, I wish I could add a secondary interface to the Hometroller, put it on the 99 VLAN, and somehow only allow the Sonos4 plugin to communicate on it.

The speakers communicate via SonosNet with each other and connect to my network via one Ethernet connection on a Sonos Port.
    Plugin Version: 4.0.1.12

HomeSeer HS4 ZEE S2 (Upg from HS3ZS2) Edition 4.2.7.0 (Linux)

Happy to provide any additional information needed

I cannot help you with how to set the Unifi equipment, but judging from you attached picture at least:

multicast address 239.255.255.250 needs to make it accross and it is using port 1900 this is from IoT to Trusted (maybe in both directions, not 100% sure, but if you use UPNP to discover HS, you would need it in both directions)
    Then ports 1977 and 1979 need forwarding rules from Trusted to IoT.

Comment

Thanks dcorsus I appreciate the reply.

I have the forwarding going for 1977 and 1979, but I don't think I will be able to route multicast without PIM routing - which Unifi doesn't support. They have MVR (Multicast Vlan registration), but that isn't routing. Maybe I will get lucky and encounter someone who has made it work with their Unifi equipment and/or come up with an alternative method.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertAutomator View Post
        Thanks dcorsus I appreciate the reply.

I have the forwarding going for 1977 and 1979, but I don't think I will be able to route multicast without PIM routing - which Unifi doesn't support. They have MVR (Multicast Vlan registration), but that isn't routing. Maybe I will get lucky and encounter someone who has made it work with their Unifi equipment and/or come up with an alternative method.
        is there a rule where you can forward port 1900 for IPv4? We don't need routing. Switches typically have settings to forward well known ports like 1900 for UPNP

Comment

I read that port forwarding can solve this, but can't find further documentation on that.
          Did you see this:
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/me...-seperate-vlan
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/me...e2#post1448502
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...up-with-plugin

Comment

DesertAutomator while I don't own any Sonos devices, I do have a Unifi network and setup separate IoT and Main VLANs. Make sure the following setting is unchecked on both your main and IoT VLANS under the Settings -> Wireless Networks -> Edit

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	653
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1531495

I also had to do some rules on my pFsense firewall to allow multicast ports as dcorsus alluded to. I've heard it's difficult to do on Unifi gateways hence why the only thing not Unifi in my network is the firewall.

Hopefully the multicast filtering setting is enough to get you going.

Comment

On every subnet (vlan) set the IGMP :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Multicast-UniFi.png
Views:	551
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1531504

If you also use other Network Switches in your environment then watch this video as well : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTkt-wNHRg

Eman.
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

dcorsus I had read one of those threads but not the other two. I will get into those today, thank you! I must be doing something wrong when searching the forum as I didn't get any results.

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                is there a rule where you can forward port 1900 for IPv4? We don't need routing. Switches typically have settings to forward well known ports like 1900 for UPNP
                Pictured below is now the Port Forward is set now. I'm uncertain if this is correct. Unifi seems a bit limited here as this looks to be for forwarding out the WAN as opposed to within the LAN structure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	forwarding1.png Views:	0 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	1531693

The Sonos app on my iPhone works great on the Trust network but can't connect on the IoT.

Thanks TC1 I can confirm that is unchecked on both wireless networks. Funny now you have to switch back to the classic view to get at that setting. My Sonos products are not using my wifi as I have then on SonosNet wireless and then wired via a Sonos Port to my network. While I love the Unifi switches, the gateway seems to be in perpetual beta. pFsense is looking very tempting to me after reading about the handful of shortcomings with the Unifi gateways.

Thanks Eman I have MulticastDNS enabled on both. All my switches and APs are Unifi, but that video was very helpful for my understanding.

Comment

Thanks TC1 I can confirm that is unchecked on both wireless networks. Funny now you have to switch back to the classic view to get at that setting. My Sonos products are not using my wifi as I have then on SonosNet wireless and then wired via a Sonos Port to my network. While I love the Unifi switches, the gateway seems to be in perpetual beta. pFsense is looking very tempting to me after reading about the handful of shortcomings with the Unifi gateways.
                  Yep, I just went through a nightmare of upgrading to 7.X Unifi network controller... I was freaking out to myself "wtf did all my switch stats data go??!!!" Going back to the classic interface and all the data was there. I have no idea what the Unifi product folks are thinking, people on the forums have been complaining about the new interface for over a year now. I stayed away from the Unifi gateways because of all the limitations I've read in the forums. But I do miss not being able to manage my whole network from one interface.

Comment

dcorsus I had read one of those threads but not the other two. I will get into those today, thank you! I must be doing something wrong when searching the forum as I didn't get any results.

Pictured below is now the Port Forward is set now. I'm uncertain if this is correct. Unifi seems a bit limited here as this looks to be for forwarding out the WAN as opposed to within the LAN structure.

Click image for larger version Name:	forwarding1.png Views:	0 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	1531693

The Sonos app on my iPhone works great on the Trust network but can't connect on the IoT.

Thanks Eman I have MulticastDNS enabled on both. All my switches and APs are Unifi, but that video was very helpful for my understanding.
                    I don't think you need Multicast DNS for this, you may need it for other things.
                    I came accross this YouTube video on how to set up VLANs on Unify, this may help https://youtu.be/p3SfeQTaaxw

I think the rules are in the firewall and are bound to LAN ports and not LAN versus WAN.

Comment

Try this video for the Firewall Rules : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3u6E3Fxi8

More on that here : Understanding IP Multicasting - http://www.steves-internet-guide.com...-multicasting/

Eman.
                      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
                      X