Going to be be upgrading to HS4 Sonos - learned radio stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to be be upgrading to HS4 Sonos - learned radio stations

Hello Dirk - be very grateful for your help.

I'm shortly going to be upgrading to the HS4 version of the Sonos plugin and just wanted to ask a quick question regarding learned radio stations. I'm in the UK and don't know if you've come across it but a lot of the BBC radio streams are no longer available via services such as TuneIn. I registered with BBC sounds and added the service to my Sonos S1 app. I can select BBC stations via this app and using the player webpage within the sonos plugin. However as per the snapshot I can't select any of the Sirius XM leaned stations in an event. If I click on one then the list box just reverts to the 'Please Select' option. Other stations such as Cruise control work fine.
    I haven't included any logs etc as the question I have is whether this issue appears in the HS4 version of the plugin? I will be upgrading anyway but thought I'd just ask beforehand. If it does then I can post any info then.

Many thanks

Tony F
    Attached Files

Hi Tony, I'm afraid without a log, I have no idea. Just to make sure I understand the setup: this is an issue with the Sonos4 PI but it wasn't with the Sonos PI? You specifically mention the S1 controller, do you have S1 and S2 app? Do you see the same problem if you use another browser?

Comment

Hello again - many thanks for getting back. I never was much good at explaining things but will try to give a bit more info.

I'm hoping to upgrade to the new Sonos 4 plugin in a month or so. I've been running with the older version for many years and it works brilliantly both when I was using HS3 and now HS4. It was more of a general question before I upgrade regarding a slight issue with events and learned Radio Stations.

I used to get my local BBC radio station via TuneIn but recently there have been some changes. I've pasted in an extract from an article just below:

"TuneIn has removed access for UK listeners to the majority of radio stations based outside the country due to licensing reasons. These radio station are now marked as “not supported” These changes are the result of a legal action at UK court taken against TuneIn by Sony and Warner."

To get round this I registered with the BBC sounds app. I created an account and then added the service to the Sonos S1 app (still have a couple of older Play 5 units). No problems there and I can listen to, for example Radio Bristol with no problems. I can see the radio station using the player built into the Sonos Plugin and can select it (have just done so as a double check). I came across the issue when I was changing the events to the new learned station. The BBC Sounds ones begin with "SiriusXM". If I click on this as per the pic in the previous post the selector just reverts to "Please Select" However other stations such as Cruise Control can be selected and saved.

I just wondered if this was an issue that might have been picked up already and addressed in the new plugin. That really is the reason I didn't add any logs as I'm definitely going to upgrade to the new plugin and there didn't seem much point in you looking at the problem as far as the older plugin was concerned as I am going to upgrade. It was more of a general question as I'm not 100% sure whether it's a Sonos Plugin or Homeseer Event problem.

What I will do is upgrade and if the problem still persists then I'll post again with logs and snapshots. It'll be interesting to see if the problem does carry over.

Cheers

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF29 View Post
        Hello again - many thanks for getting back. I never was much good at explaining things but will try to give a bit more info.

I'm hoping to upgrade to the new Sonos 4 plugin in a month or so. I've been running with the older version for many years and it works brilliantly both when I was using HS3 and now HS4. It was more of a general question before I upgrade regarding a slight issue with events and learned Radio Stations.

I used to get my local BBC radio station via TuneIn but recently there have been some changes. I've pasted in an extract from an article just below:

"TuneIn has removed access for UK listeners to the majority of radio stations based outside the country due to licensing reasons. These radio station are now marked as “not supported” These changes are the result of a legal action at UK court taken against TuneIn by Sony and Warner."

To get round this I registered with the BBC sounds app. I created an account and then added the service to the Sonos S1 app (still have a couple of older Play 5 units). No problems there and I can listen to, for example Radio Bristol with no problems. I can see the radio station using the player built into the Sonos Plugin and can select it (have just done so as a double check). I came across the issue when I was changing the events to the new learned station. The BBC Sounds ones begin with "SiriusXM". If I click on this as per the pic in the previous post the selector just reverts to "Please Select" However other stations such as Cruise Control can be selected and saved.

I just wondered if this was an issue that might have been picked up already and addressed in the new plugin. That really is the reason I didn't add any logs as I'm definitely going to upgrade to the new plugin and there didn't seem much point in you looking at the problem as far as the older plugin was concerned as I am going to upgrade. It was more of a general question as I'm not 100% sure whether it's a Sonos Plugin or Homeseer Event problem.

What I will do is upgrade and if the problem still persists then I'll post again with logs and snapshots. It'll be interesting to see if the problem does carry over.

Cheers

Tony
        Thanks for the additional info. Sadly, I have no idea what is causing the issue so impossible to say whether that is an issue with Sonos4. I have made no changes that I can recall that would even remotely address this, unless the issue is with HS4 supporting legacy PIs. I'm not aware of any issue, but over the years a few of them popped up but were all addressed. So without that trace or you trying it with Sonos4, I really can't tell.

However, back to my question on S1. Do you have a network with a mix of S1 and S2 players? The reason why that is important is that they are treated by Sonos as 2 different "neworks'. The Sonos4 PI has a lot of changes to support that (read restrict the user from not making mistakes as whatever is configured in the S1 network, cannot be verbatim used on the S2 network and vice-versa).

D

Comment

Hello again Dirk

The Sonos setup I currently have is primarily Play 1's (2nd generation?) units but I do also have a couple of older Play 5's. To control them I just use the S1 Sonos app as it does what I need so have never really looked at the S2 version of the app. I didn't see any reason to change this but would be grateful for your thoughts on that.

Fully understand that it's not possible to diagnose the issue without the relevant info so as soon as I upgrade to the latest version of the Sonos plugin (gas and electricity bills permitting) will see how things go and will make sure that all the logs, etc are available for you if the problem is still there.

Cheers again

Tony

Comment

Hello again

Just a quick update - just upgraded to the Sonos4 version and it seems to have cured the problem. After re-creating the events I was able to select BBC sounds stations (SiriusXM) without any issues. I did delete the radio database and let the plugin create a new one. Then it was just a matter of getting it to re-learn the local radio stations, and then create the events.

Cheers

Tony

Comment

Working...
            X