Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request - Streaming Service & Quality of Stream

Hello,

If this is not the correct forum, I apologize. I want to request a feature to include the API for the streaming service being used and the quality of the stream. For instance, I use Pandora, Amazon Music & Tidal. Using the Sonos app I can see where the music is being streamed from & in the cases of Amazon & Tidal it will show me if it is being steamed in HD, Ultra HD / HiFi, or Master quality.

Awesome job on the plugin...I love it!

Thanks,
    Dallas

Hi dalwilli I have to admit, not sure where to retrieve that and to be honest, what automation benefits would that bring to the larger community? Over the years, I've tried to build in features that are usable for the larger group and avoid that one offs crowd the functions, introduce too many devices and/or make the PI quite hard to maintain. Eager to hear why this is important to you. You can always set the plugins debug level to errors and events (not verbose and not the UPNP functions), turn log to disk on, play the different channels from the Sonos App, turn of logging and post or PM me that file with a description of what stations and what quality of stream it was so I can check to see if it is visible via the UPNP interface.

Comment

Hi dcorsus, I completely understand but thought it was at least worth a try to ask. I think this information would be useful and would apply to mid to higher-end audiophiles such as myself. I was just asking in case it was something as easy as pulling the "Radio Station" name. I'm happy to do the work if it is something you would consider. If not, I get it and still think it's an amazing plugin...great job my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by dalwilli View Post
        Hi dcorsus, I completely understand but thought it was at least worth a try to ask. I think this information would be useful and would apply to mid to higher-end audiophiles such as myself. I was just asking in case it was something as easy as pulling the "Radio Station" name. I'm happy to do the work if it is something you would consider. If not, I get it and still think it's an amazing plugin...great job my friend.
        If you pull the log , I will look at it, but may still drag my feet. If I stick it in the radiostation name, I might cause some issue with other users and their "learned" station. Do you pay extra for these HD streams as I have never seen the icon on my controller.

Comment

Hi dcorsus, it is part of Amazon's Unlimited plan. The quality of streaming is amazingly better with Amazon Unlimited (24bit/192kHz - 3730kbps)...especially if you compare it to the more common streaming services such as Spotify (320kbps) or Pandora (320kbps)...CD quality is 1411kbps just for reference. Sonos supports this quality of streaming with Amazon. Good link to reference streaming services and their capabilities...
          https://www.soundguys.com/spotify-vs-pandora-36915/

I'll pull the logs and get them to you tomorrow. Ideally, it would be nice to have it as it's own field...but I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks for looking at this.

Comment

Hi dcorsus, here is the debug file. I can see from the file the added fields I am requesting are (res:sid) & (r:streamInfo).

1/17/2023 4:55:13 PM : LOG_TYPE_INFO - TransportStateChange for Office in TrackMetaData found (res:sid) = Amazon Music

1/17/2023 4:55:13 PM : LOG_TYPE_INFO - TransportStateChange for Office in TrackMetaData found (r:streamInfo) = <r:streamInfo xmlns:r="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/">bd:16,sr:44100,c:4,l:1,d:0</r:streamInfo> === This one is HD
            1/17/2023 4:55:17 PM : LOG_TYPE_INFO - TransportStateChange for Office in TrackMetaData found (r:streamInfo) = <r:streamInfo xmlns:r="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/">bd:24,sr:44100,c:4,l:1,d:0</r:streamInfo> === This one is Ultra HD

​For the streaminfo the "bd:16" or "bd:24" signifies either 16 or 24 bit which defines the quality of the stream. If I could get this raw data in a field I could match against it and display HD or Ultra HD for example.

I know you didn't promise anything, but thank you so much for looking at this.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi dcorsus, Is this something that would be easy enough to add, or is it not worth the effort?

Comment

I’m out of town right now but I will look at it late this week

Comment

dalwilli I just looked at the log and my code. Unfortunately, it is information that the PI doesn't do anything with at all, doesn't try to unpack it nor store it, neither use nor present.
                  So not a good start. Adding another HS feature to the player device just to provide this information is just not something I think I should do to all other Sonos4 users.
                  So back to the fundamental question, how and where exactly would you use this? Do you have HST screens where you want to show this or were you thinking about some event that would do something if that value is not what it needs to be?
                  There is a summary feature that was created to hold all kinds of odds and ends, one alternative is to add this info as a <key,value> pair to that JSON string but that would require some scripting on your behalf .... so .... what, where and how exactly did you think of using and presenting this information?

Comment

Hi dcorsus, That is no problem and I completely understand. I just wanted to display the information on HST screens. Adding it to the summary feature would be great if possible. I might need a little help, or if you could point me in the right direction to parce the information.

Thank you again for at least looking into it.

Comment

Hi dcorsus, Is this something I could run a beta version to try?

Comment

Originally posted by dalwilli View Post
                        Hi dcorsus, Is this something I could run a beta version to try?
                        Sorry I've decided not to pursue this, too much effort for too few users. Sorry leaving you in the cold.

Comment

Hi dcorsus, No problem. I love the plugin and appreciate you taking the time to look at it.

Comment

Working...
                          X