iRobot Location Status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iRobot Location Status?

This is a great PI, thank you for creating it!

I saw in another thread, you were going to implement the ability to clean a specific room.

I'm wondering if it is possible, for now, to just show what room the robot is in (or going to)?

I want to be able to turn on lights on and off only in the area it is cleaning. I kinda-sorta created a kluge-job using Voice Monkey to get Alexa to clean a specific room, the results are really inconsistent though.

It would be so much easier if the plugin knew where the iRobot was at any given time because we could trigger an event based on the text in the status.

As far as I'm aware, this isn't possible to determine without connecting to the cloud, which I don't want to do.

Comment

Understood, I keep everything possible inside my local LAN.

I had sifted through all the data going between the vacuum and the iRobot app and couldn't identify anything that looked like a room identification. My guess is it's there somewhere and I was hoping that maybe you had cracked the code.

Comment

I've yet to figure out how the app knows which room the robot is in (even via the cloud), but even if the current room ID can somehow be retrieved locally, there's no way to get the actual name of the room without downloading the map data from the cloud. But if I can find a way to get the room ID locally, I should be able to add that as a status feature, at least.

Comment

I'm going to give it another whirl.

Will spend some time capturing the data while sending it to specific rooms. If I can identify the room ID, that would be enough for me because I can simply use a script to match it to a room and turn on/off the appropriate light(s).

The app always shows what room it is going to so it's there somewhere, even if it's in encrypted Klingon. I'll let you know if I can decipher it.

Comment

Wondering if you had any luck with room location description? Would be handy as you mentioned to light the appropriate room.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by dcdelong View Post
              Wondering if you had any luck with room location description? Would be handy as you mentioned to light the appropriate room.

Chris
              Worked on it on and off.

Nothing jumps out as a room identifier, but it has to be there!

Haven't given up, but it's on the backburner for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

Worked on it on and off.

Nothing jumps out as a room identifier, but it has to be there!

Haven't given up, but it's on the backburner for the moment.
                Yeah, this is pretty much the experience I've had as well. I've looked and haven't found anything that looks like it would identify a room.

As you say, it must be there somewhere, but at this point I fear that it's only available from the cloud, which isn't something I'm willing to pursue personally.

Comment

Working...
                X