MyQ and Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MyQ and Alexa

Can this be added to Alexa so that I can use voice commands to open or close the garage door? When I add it to Alexa it is just seeing it as a lock. Has anyone else got it integrated with Alexa? If so, how did you do it?

At one time I had the following setup with Google Home although not using it anymore. Think it should work with Alexa.

Virtual device with 3 V/S pairs: 0=off (control use Off), 1=on (control use On), 2=idle

Alexa routine: "Alexa, open garage door" turns the virtual device on
    HS event: IF virtual device is set to On, set MyQ device to Open, then set virtual device to Idle

Alexa routine: "Alexa, close garage door" sets the virtual device to off
    HS event: IF virtual device is set to Off, set MyQ device to Close, then set virtual device to Idle.

If there's a problem with Alexa recognizing the virtual device with 3 value/status pairs, then separate virtual devices could be created for Open and Close. I think this should work if Control Use is only set for 2 of the values.
    -Wade

Comment

OMG! You are a genius! I forgot about using virtual devices! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
        OMG! You are a genius! I forgot about using virtual devices! Thanks!
        I assure that's an overstatement but glad I could help.
        -Wade

Comment

I don't think you need to set the virtual device to "idle" though. Can't you just leave the virtual device to off for closed and on for open?

Also, can you create a virtual device that has "open"/"closed" in Alexa? I created the virtual device in HS and I have it open/closed but when it is seen in Alexa it shows as on/off.

Comment

I don't think you need to set the virtual device to "idle" though. Can't you just leave the virtual device to off for closed and on for open?
            The reason I had it that way is to account for local control of the garage door by pushbutton. If the door is opened via Alexa and then closed by pushing the button on the wall, the VD would be out of sync and Alexa would see it as already "on" and therefore wouldn't let you open it again. I guess another way to do it would be an additional event that syncs the VD to the MyQ device.

Also, can you create a virtual device that has "open"/"closed" in Alexa? I created the virtual device in HS and I have it open/closed but when it is seen in Alexa it shows as on/off.
            Not that I know of, but my experience with Alexa is limited.
            -Wade

Comment

The reason I had it that way is to account for local control of the garage door by pushbutton
              Good idea!

Comment

Jsut found this... Wade - super helpful... thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X