This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Thank you, I don't own any PWS yet, I'm looking to buy one - with the local official API, so I can integrate with my plugin.

So first I need to choose brand. Which one is most popular?

I contacted Davis Instruments, AcuRite, Holman (AU) - will see....
    The Davis is most expensive and probably the best supported system, highly reliable, very good spares available, and their are various models to choice from. You can’t go by them and even though people complain about the console, they last and last. I have the Davis and would recommend them over the others.

The Accurite and Ecowitt are basically the same products with different firmware. There are other such as weatherflow and Oregon Scientific.

The Oregon WMR300 is similar to the Davis 6153 with a different console and with the 433 MHz band instead of the 900 MHz of the but it isn’t really supported anymore, the rain bucket is sold separately making it as expensive and can’t add the different modules like the Davis or potentially get not be able to get spares.

Ecowitt are normally very active in both Facebook and wxforum and provides a very wide range of cheap affordable products that integrates well together through the GW1000/1001 gateway

So it would really depend on what you want to spend. A good place to check in Ryda.com.au in Australia for Davis.

Old thread but relevant to your question
    https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37425.0

Comment

I would not recommend a Sonic Anemometer, unless you spend $1000s, in any PWS as they have known issues and questionable readings especially in extreme conditions or during high rain.

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
        The Davis is most expensive and probably the best supported system, highly reliable, very good spares available, and their are various models to choice from. You can’t go by them and even though people complain about the console, they last and last. I have the Davis and would recommend them over the others.

The Accurite and Ecowitt are basically the same products with different firmware. There are other such as weatherflow and Oregon Scientific.

The Oregon WMR300 is similar to the Davis 6153 with a different console and with the 433 MHz band instead of the 900 MHz of the but it isn’t really supported anymore, the rain bucket is sold separately making it as expensive and can’t add the different modules like the Davis or potentially get not be able to get spares.

Ecowitt are normally very active in both Facebook and wxforum and provides a very wide range of cheap affordable products that integrates well together through the GW1000/1001 gateway

So it would really depend on what you want to spend. A good place to check in Ryda.com.au in Australia for Davis.

Old thread but relevant to your question
        https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37425.0
        Thank mate

Since I'm looking for PWS not only for personal use - but for the plugin as well, so I'm not really concerned about the cost, especially if the manufacturer send me the unit for testing.

My main criteria are :

1. Local comms support (better official API vs. hacked)

2. Popularity for the users (probably US is the main market)

Comment

Thank mate

Since I'm looking for PWS not only for personal use - but for the plugin as well, so I'm not really concerned about the cost, especially if the manufacturer send me the unit for testing.

My main criteria are :

1. Local comms support (better official API vs. hacked)

2. Popularity for the users (probably US is the main market)
          Coms - This is the difference between the most brand listed and Davis as Devis requires additional hardware either standalone as in the Davis 6100, or connected to their console albeit Davis USB, Serial or older IP (replaced by the 6100) or 3rd party products, WifiLogger 2, Meteobridge, Meteo-Pi and others

If you can get it... the Davis albeit the Vantage Pro (best) or the Vantage Vue combined with a Davis 6100.
          They are very widely used both in residential, schools and universities, agricultural and commercial through out the USA and are really the market leader.
          Their API is now V2 and availble @ https://weatherlink.github.io

Their API Version 1 is still in use and does support
          https://www.weatherlink.com/static/d...umentation.pdf

Comment

Thank you, they even have demo API key for testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post
              Working great! I even added a second weather station and it came in just fine. I use the second station mainly in the winter to see if it is snowing in the mountains between home and Cali. If you want to do PWS as well let me know and I’ll send you the key to test.
              Ver 4.0.0.15 - I added Weather Underground 5 Days forecast.

Every value needs to be carefully verified - I added 5 providers, plus imperial / metric units - obviously some values may be missing or incorrect. But easy to tix...

Comment

New version just throws error for WU. I sent you PM since the error shows my WU Key.

Comment

New version just throws error for WU. I sent you PM since the error shows my WU Key.
                  But the key it shows is only 8 long, please check

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                    alexbk66
                    EDIT: In/hr is in the PI so you can forget that one, just Day and Event.
                    Click image for larger version Name:	pic2.png Views:	0 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	1471097

These are on the website as well but not in the PI.
                    BTW, whats "Event Rain"?

Comment

Here is a screen shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	61C37346-B5D6-4C0A-AB12-BEFEFEBD42B9.png
Views:	226
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	1470961
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	AmbientWeather2.png
Views:	90
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1471296

Comment

Bigstevep cowinger More devices will be created if data becomes available, i.e. daily/weekly rain

Comment

But the key it shows is only 8 long, please check
                          OK what happened is that my API expired and it showed me the actual connect key which I just cut and pasted in. My mistake. The API key expires every 6 months now and mine had expired so when I grabbed a new API key all worked. If you are testing with my old API key you’ll need the new one.

Comment

OK what happened is that my API expired and it showed me the actual connect key which I just cut and pasted in. My mistake. The API key expires every 6 months now and mine had expired so when I grabbed a new API key all worked. If you are testing with my old API key you’ll need the new one.
                            I can't remember which key I use for which provider - it's so much easier when the plugin is only for one dedicated provider

If yours is "765fb...b927d" - then yes

Comment

Ah, yeah - Access Denied

Comment

You have pm

Comment

Working...
                                X