X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOAA (weather.gov)

In ver. 4.0.0.28 Added NOAA support.

There's five different services using different APIs:

1. NOAA (1) - is old stable API used for US weather forecast websites. Requests are pretty simple, based on location (lat, lon). Provides very minimal info, especially for forecast.

2. NOAA (2) - newer API, provides more info. Still in BETA from 2016. A bit more complicated because current conditions and forecast use different stations (observation station and forecast zone). For observations seem to use mostly airport weather stations. Station is selectable in location config.

3. NOAA (3) - new "big data" API, still implementing in the plugin.

4. NOAA Marine (including lakes) - similar to NOAA (1)

5. NOAA Weather Buoys (NDBC)

Click image for larger version  Name:	NOAA1.png Views:	51 Size:	115.8 KB ID:	1473014

Note:

NOAA1 and NOAA2 include forecast for the current night (tonight) between 6PM and 6AM. Location settings has the switch "Include forecast period for 'tonight'​"​ to include or ignore the 'tonight' period:

If "Include forecast period for 'tonight'​" is OFF:

- Day [0] should be always "Today"
    - Day [1] should be always "Tomorrow",
    - etc.

If "Include forecast period for 'tonight'​" is ON - then the logic depends on local time.

(1) From 6AM to 6PM should be as above.

(2) From 6PM to Midnight should be:

- Day [0] should be "Tonight"
    - Day [1] should be "Tomorrow",
    - etc.

(3) From Midnight to 6AM should be:

- Day [0] should be "Tonight"
    - Day [1] should be "Today",
    - Day [2] should be "Tomorrow",
    - etc.​​​

Thank you Alex , I have AK Weather installed and NOAA one setup and working

Comment

Originally posted by ocyberbum View Post
      Thank you Alex , I have AK Weather installed and NOAA one setup and working
      NOAA(1) is old stable API, but doesn't provide much forecast info.
      NOAA(2) is a relatively new API, provides more info, but it's still in BETA from 2016, so sometimes it misbehaves. I'm finishing NOAA2 today, so you can run both and compare.
      Then I'll look at NOAA(3). And alerts.

Comment

sounds good, i will definitely give them a try when you get them done!

Comment

Originally posted by niewski View Post
          I looked in the weather plugin area and couldn't find an acceptable place to post this - please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

I'm looking to incorporate marine weather forecasts into HomeSeer. I want to take the data found on the page listed below, and convert it to HomeSeer devices for use in automations.

The above is formatted perfectly - they did a great job. I was able to find the XML for that page as the following:

So, the question is, is there a plugin that can take the above link, and easily convert it to HS4 devices?

I'm very new to HomeSeer and may be missing something but would love to learn.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I added the marine forecast (there's not much current observations thought), this is first cut screenshot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NOAA_MARINE.png
Views:	575
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1473505

Comment

Ver 4.0.0.29 - Added NOAA (2) and NOAA Marine, added Alerts for NOAA.

Comment

alexbk66 I am getting these pics: top pic using NOAA1 and second pic using NOAA2.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1.png Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	1473874 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2.png Views:	0 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	1473875

Wondering what the information in "Info" means. Notice the ! vs check mark.

Getting these warnings in the log.

Code:
              [COLOR=#D58000]5/11/2021 8:59:45 AM [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]HomeSeer [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]Warning [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#D58000]File does not exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\images\HomeSeer\status\seismic.png [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#D58000]5/11/2021 8:59:45 AM [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]AK Weather [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]Warning [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#D58000]HasJuiDeviceConfigPage ref. not found 3294 [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#D58000]5/11/2021 9:17:21 AM [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]AK Weather [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]Warning [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#D58000]HasJuiDeviceConfigPage ref. not found 955 [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#D58000]5/11/2021 11:46:51 AM [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]AK Weather [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]Warning [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#D58000][3937] NOAA: ExecuteAsync (NOAA1_DATA) [/MapClick.php?FcstType=json&lat=39.96243&lon=-10X.806036&unit=0]: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable. [Status = ProtocolError] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#D58000]5/11/2021 11:46:51 AM [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]AK Weather [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]Warning [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#D58000][3937] NOAA: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable. [Status = ProtocolError] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#D58000]5/11/2021 12:38:18 PM [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]AK Weather [/COLOR][COLOR=#D58000]Warning [/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#D58000][3937] NOAA: Zone (39.96243,-10X.806036): 'KFTG', forecast zone 'COZ040 North Do County Below 6000 Feet/Der/West Ad and Ara Counties/East Bro County' (KAPA,KBJC,KBKF,KCFO,KCOS,KFNL,KGJT,KGXY,KPUB)[/COLOR]

Comment

I actually tested alerts only for NOAA2, nice to see that NOAA1 also works. Strange that second one is showing OK instead of (!) - strange, it using the same code for the icon. Need to check.

Regarding warnings:

1. "HomeSeer Warning File does not exist" is not from my plugin, must be the other weather plugin you have
                2. "HasJuiDeviceConfigPage ref. not found" is known issue, I need to investigate
                3. "(503) Server Unavailable" says Server Unavailable, I guess that's what it is. But if it keeps happening - need to investigate.
                4. "NOAA: Zone" is info only, I will change it from Warning to Info when the plugin is stable. But I do see an issue here: "forecast zone 'COZ040 North Do County Below 6000 Feet/Der/West Ad and Ara Counties/East Bro County" should be trimmed to just COZ040

"Wondering what the information in "Info" means" - this is the RAW info from the server, if you are interested in decoding it, see attached pdf

p-770_aviation_weather_guide.pdf
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                  alexbk66 I am getting these pics: top pic using NOAA1 and second pic using NOAA2.
                  Click image for larger version Name:	image_1.png Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	1473874 Click image for larger version Name:	image_2.png Views:	0 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	1473875
                  I actually checked my code - Alerts are only implemented for NOAA1 (and NOAA Marine using same code, but different server).

NOAA2 uses separate Alerts API, so my guess is that the alerts devices you have are left from when you had NOAA1 selected as provider. It's easy to test - just delete the alert devices and restart the plugin. The devices will be only re-created for provider supporting alerts.

Comment

Now, I'm looking at NOAA2 Alerts API - it returns a list of alerts for the selected coordinates - screenshot below.

For this example there are three alerts [0], [1] and [2]. For each alert there's a lot of fields I can expose as HS devices (around 15), i.e. areaDesc, description, effective, instruction, etc.

So it makes sense to make each alert the root device, and expose fields as children (features). But because I don't know how many alerts may be active - the best option it to create alert devices dynamically - when alert is available. But then you can't create triggers until the alert actually appears.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-05-12 (1).png Views:	0 Size:	470.7 KB ID:	1473956

Comment

The only solution I can think of - have one "alert" device for the main location root (like I have for NOAA1) - display there only "description" or "headline" for the first alert.

Then dynamically create roots with children details for each alert.

Comment

Ver 4.0.0.30 - Added NOAA (2) Alert (only headline at this stage)

Click image for larger version

Name:	NOAA2 Alert.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1473964

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                          NOAA2 uses separate Alerts API, so my guess is that the alerts devices you have are left from when you had NOAA1 selected as provider. It's easy to test - just delete the alert devices and restart the plugin. The devices will be only re-created for provider supporting alerts.
                          Deleting and re-creating devices worked. All green check marks now.

EDIT: Seismic.png is part of another device. I will send that info to staff.

Comment

alexbk66 As far as the pic above having a single Alert root device is good, it shows the alert text for what it is about. How would we get that into speech?

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                              alexbk66 As far as the pic above having a single Alert root device is good, it shows the alert text for what it is about. How would we get that into speech?
                              The alert text from post #12 you use in speech as any other HS device, i.e. "Alert: $$DSA:31035fb5d4.alert:" or "Alert: $$DVA:1156:"

This would be sufficient if there's only one current alert, and this text is all you want.

My question is how can I expose multiple current alerts, and also many available fields (see post #10) to HS? I'm thinking (in addition to post #12) create a separate root device for each alert and have devices for each available field, i.e. category, certainty, description, effective, messageType, response, severity, status, urgency

Comment

Working...
                              X