This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecowitt PWS - Local Official protocol

Note: Fine Offset (FOSHK) make PWS (rebranded) for many different brands, please read: Fine Offset (FOSHK) Weather Stations i.e. consoles, sensors and clones (Ecowitt, Froggit, Ambient, ....)

Ver 4.0.0.62 (BETA) - added Ecowitt - local WiFi API.

When Ecowitt provider is selected - it should
    discover GW1000 series gateway automatically,
    assuming HS and the gateway are on the same WiFi.

Note: this protocol should work with GW1000 and GW1100 gateways and WN1900, WH2680 – a station with display

Ecowitt has support forum where you can ask about your issues (of course if it's not plugin related), and check issues other users have:

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/forum
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GW1002-1.png Views:	0 Size:	467.1 KB ID:	1480561
    Ecowitt (and clones i.e. AmbientWeather) support four different protocols:
    1. The native Local protocol which doesn't require any configuration, using port hardcoded 46000. This protocol is implemented in my plugin by Ecowitt provider. It only works if you have single PWS. (This post)
    2. The other Local protocol is configurable and implemented by AmbientWeatherLocal provider. For this one you need to set the same port number (default 7777) in both plugin Location config and WS View. The IP Address is HS server address. Don't use port 46000 here. This protocol is better if you have multiple PWS

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...tocol-no-cloud
    3. Ecowitt Remote (Server) API - good for accessing remote stations, also provides some calculated values i.e. Dewpoint, "Feels Like" temperature, etc.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...-remote-server
    4. New Ecowitt Wittboy All-In-One weather station with new GW2000 Gateway

That's probably most complete protocol which works (and recommended) with GW1100 and new GW2000 gateways (not old GW1000 thought)

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...wittboy-gw2000
    All providers can be used simultaneously - i.e. create two Locations, select Ecowitt provider for one, AmbientWeatherLocal for the other one. Then you can compare both and decide which one you like more.
    Supported sensors:
    Internal Temp/Hum GW1000 Click image for larger version  Name:	318hAAQJoPL._AC_SY350_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	1480603
    GW2000 Click image for larger version  Name:	GW2000.png Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	1625786
    Ecowitt WittBoy WH90 Click image for larger version  Name:	Ecowitt+WS90.png Views:	0 Size:	188.3 KB ID:	1625789
    Wind, UV, Lux WS68 Click image for larger version  Name:	wireless-anemometer-wind-uv-light%20ws68%20(2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	1480602
    External Temp/Hum WH32 Click image for larger version  Name:	outdoor-temperature-humidity-sensor-32%20(4).png Views:	1 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	1480604
    Precip WH40 Click image for larger version  Name:	418wkh7hhOS._AC_SY350_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.2 KB ID:	1480605
    PM2.5 (AQI)

Up to 4 sensors
    WH41 Click image for larger version  Name:	51bAUFJs+kL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	1480607
    Lightning Detector WH57 Click image for larger version  Name:	51Qr9Aw4cpL._AC_SY1000_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	1480608
    Multi-channel Temp/Hum

Up to 8 sensors
    WH31 Click image for larger version  Name:	multi-channel-temperature-humidity-sensor-WH31-1%20(3).png Views:	1 Size:	259.5 KB ID:	1480609
    Soil Sensor

Up to 16 sensors
    WH51 Click image for larger version  Name:	51ev7cDZ2-L._AC_SY350_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	1480610
    Leak Detector

Up to 4 sensors
    WH55 Click image for larger version  Name:	kKOgMwdbou5_YoGFyk_uxywUZxVwR0kz3qUW3YA1NnTgA9oHrh0ny45XwMmnSd_jSuXRFFq3hLKlJPKgBor8CXC7Q6F4QGBQ3PgvwGsHoQ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.7 KB ID:	1480611
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Ecowitt4.png Views:	6 Size:	141.0 KB ID:	1480913

The Ambient Weather WS-2000 and WS-5000 console have the ability to send to local just like the Ecowitt GW-1000 device. Just slight differences in the format between the two. In the latest Ambient Weather AWNET (4.2.9) tool the configuration is identical to that of the Ecowitt WS View app

Comment

I'll check with Fine Offset Electronics, they are the manufacturer

Comment

alexbk66 Where is the plugin getting the info for precip, uv, wind devices? The ecowitt gateway only has temp, humidity and pressure by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
          alexbk66 Where is the plugin getting the info for precip, uv, wind devices? The ecowitt gateway only has temp, humidity and pressure by itself.
          Wind, UV, Lux WS68
          External Temp/Hum WH32
          Precip WH40
          PM2.5 (AQI) WH41
          I also have Lightning Detector (WH57), Multi-channel Temp/Hum (WH31), Soil Sensor (WH51), Leak Detector (WH55) - still need to implement.

Comment

alexbk66 Are you going to show each child device under it's respective parent device, ie WS68 (under that would be the wind, uv and lux child devices) or are all the child devices going to be listed separately?

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
              alexbk66 Are you going to show each child device under it's respective parent device, ie WS68 (under that would be the wind, uv and lux child devices) or are all the child devices going to be listed separately?
              No, I don't want to create many root devices, with all this separate sensors - it's still a single weather station.

Comment

Originally posted by jim@beersman.com View Post
                The Ambient Weather WS-2000 and WS-5000 console have the ability to send to local just like the Ecowitt GW-1000 device. Just slight differences in the format between the two. In the latest Ambient Weather AWNET (4.2.9) tool the configuration is identical to that of the Ecowitt WS View app
                Here's the reply I have from FOSHK:

WS2000 and WS5000 doesn’t share the same protocol as GW1000, so you are not able to fetch the data via TCP connection. The main reason is that GW1000 wifi OSC chip handles data reception and wifi bridge feature by the same processor. However with WS2000 and WS5000, the data handling was done on the display controller side, and it just pass the data to wifi for sending to the weather server.

So their structure is not the same. We will have more devices with GW1000 feature coming: WN1900 – a station with display, WH2680, GW1100 new gateway are supporting this feature.
                I also asked AmbientWeather, but they just pointed me to their Cloud API documentation

Comment

Technically they are correct in the awnet app it's listed as Ambient Weather Protocol and the Ecowitt is listed as Ecowitt Protocol. But in reality they are almost identical with only the difference being the names of some of the devices and the order of the header information. I have been using this method of pulling data for more than a year to gather data from my WS-2000.

Comment

But as I understand, for Ecowitt I'm communicating with GW1000 gateway, not any display (as a matter of fact - I don't have any).

But for Ambient Weather you are pulling data from the display? What protocol exactly are you using? And add it to my plugin as well.

Comment

For Ecowitt I am talking to the GW1000 which does not have a screen but is their communication hub. And with Ambient Weather the Screen is the communication hub and that is what is sending the data both to the Ambient Weather Hub and to my Custom App via a telnet connection. When I get a chance I will send you data sample from both devices so you can see the differences. (Currently middle of the night here monitoring an upgrade of systems at work)

Comment

I know how to communicate with GW1000, I have protocol documentation from FOSHK (the manufacturer). But if you can point me to the AmbientWeather local protocol, I can also implement it.

Comment

To my knowledge AmbientWeather has not provided a documented protocol to their local data access. In fact it is just with the most recent awnet app update that you could even configure the console to send local. But you could cheat and use the Ecowitt WS View app to enable the AmbientWeather console to send local for some time, that is how I discovered it was possible. Like I said I can send you a copy of the data stream but I have no Official protocol documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                            I know how to communicate with GW1000, I have protocol documentation from FOSHK (the manufacturer). But if you can point me to the AmbientWeather local protocol, I can also implement it.
                            Alex, if your interest Ecowitt they do have a desktop client named Easy Weather 2

http://download.ecowitt.net/down/sof...n=EasyWeather2

The link below is to the Weather Exchange forum, and post 27 contains a an Ecowitt Protocol Simulator

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?to...5964#msg415964

This is the parent thread for Fine Offset clones and note there is a whole thread identifying that not all AmbientWeather are made by Fine Offset

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=111.0

Comment

Thanks guys for your info. As I said, I do have official Ecowitt documentation and full set of Ecowitt sensors from Fine Offset, the only problem is that this documentation looks like google translate from Chinese, but I mostly worked it out and already added local Ecowitt support to my AKWeather plugin (almost finished).

And for AmbientWeather I did get reply that they only have Cloud API, which I also added to my plugin.

And regarding "unofficial" APIs - I don't really like bothering with unofficial stuff which can break any time. I prefer convincing the manufacturer, doesn't always work though

Comment

Working...
                              X