Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AmbientWeather and Ecowitt - Local protocol (no Cloud)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AmbientWeather and Ecowitt - Local protocol (no Cloud)

Note: Fine Offset (FOSHK) make PWS (rebranded) for many different brands, please read: Fine Offset (FOSHK) Weather Stations i.e. consoles, sensors and clones (Ecowitt, Froggit, Ambient, ....)

Ver 4.0.0.66 - Added support for Local (no Cloud) protocol for Ecowitt and AmbientWeather PWS
    List of supported sensors: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...icial-protocol

Ecowitt (and clones i.e. AmbientWeather) support four different protocols:
    1. The native Local protocol which doesn't require any configuration, using port hardcoded 46000. This protocol is implemented in my plugin by Ecowitt provider. It only works if you have single PWS.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...icial-protocol
    2. The other Local protocol is configurable and implemented by AmbientWeatherLocal provider. For this one you need to set the same port number (default 7777) in both plugin Location config and WS View. The IP Address is HS server address. Don't use port 46000 here. This protocol is better if you have multiple PWS (This post)
    3. Ecowitt Remote (Server) API - good for accessing remote stations, also provides some calculated values i.e. Dewpoint, "Feels Like" temperature, etc.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...-remote-server
    4. New Ecowitt Wittboy All-In-One weather station with new GW2000 Gateway

That's probably most complete protocol which works (and recommended) with GW1100 and new GW2000 gateways (not old GW1000 thought)

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...wittboy-gw2000
    All providers can be used simultaneously - i.e. create two Locations, select Ecowitt provider for one, AmbientWeatherLocal for the other one. Then you can compare both and decide which one you like more.

Ecowitt has support forum where you can ask about your issues (of course if it's not plugin related), and check issues other users have:

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/forum
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-07-11 (1).png Views:	0 Size:	284.8 KB ID:	1556092

Configuration
    Note 1: You must add HSPI_AKWeather.exe to Windows Firewall "Allowed" list.

Note 2: If you are getting error "Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted" - means that you have already something listening on the same port (i.e. 7777) on this computer. Try selecting different port (in both PWS app and plugin settings)
    - Ecowitt
    In WS View app need to configure "Customized" server - HomeSeer IP Address and Port.
    Default port is 7777, but can be changed (i.e. for multiple weather stations).
    Minimum "Upload Interval" is 16 sec.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AW Local Cfg.png Views:	0 Size:	263.3 KB ID:	1556094 Click image for larger version  Name:	EcowittLocal3 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	1556095
    - Ambient Weather
    For AW you can use either awnet app or WS View app, below instructions from users. I personally recommend WS View app.
    awnet app​ Thanks to jim@beersman.com

You have to configure your WS-2000 console to communicate with the PI. If you have not done so already, install AmbientWeather awnet app on your smartphone. Your phone and the WS-2000 need to be on the same network for this configuration. Launch the application and your WS-2000 Console should be listed in the Device List. Something like "AMBWeather-WIFIXXXX". XXXX = the last 4 characters of the mac address.

Select that device
    In upper right corner press [next] 3 times or until you see the Customized screen
    In the Server IP/Hostname enter the IP of the PC running the plugin
    In the Port option enter the port that you defined in the PI
    Set the upload interval, I found 20 - 30 seconds works well
    Press Save...Don't forget this step
    Press Finish in the upper right Corner

That's all there is to it
    WS View app​ Thanks begunfx :

Change the Protocol to be "Ambient Weather". The default is Wunderground.
    I also had to update the wifi firmware, otherwise I wasn't getting the custom server option on the console. After reading through your instructions I tried the Android version of the awnet app, but it doesn't have the option to setup a custom server. Instead I installed the WS View app and was able to set the IP address and Port # as expected.

Comment

Can anybody please verify 'lightning_distance' value - documentation says that units is 'km' which is strange because all other units are imperial.

Comment

'lightning_distance' value does display in KM

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_102817.png Views:	513 Size:	527.7 KB ID:	1481227

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
          'lightning_distance' value does display in KM
          Thank you, but you are using metric units. My question was for US (imperial) users.

Comment

I see you have added the local access for Ambient Weather so I installed your plugin to help test for you.

Maybe it's me but the plugin itself does not appear to work v4.0.0.68.
            It shows it's running and when I go to settings all I get is a screen that shows settings for World Air Quality Index Project. There is a slider for Add new location but it does not appear to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
              Can anybody please verify 'lightning_distance' value - documentation says that units is 'km' which is strange because all other units are imperial.
              Here is mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	1493
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1481259

Comment

Originally posted by jim@beersman.com View Post
                I see you have added the local access for Ambient Weather so I installed your plugin to help test for you.

Maybe it's me but the plugin itself does not appear to work v4.0.0.68.
                It shows it's running and when I go to settings all I get is a screen that shows settings for World Air Quality Index Project. There is a slider for Add new location but it does not appear to do anything.
                You need to click "Save" - then new location will be created. Then you can rename the location and select the provider. And "Save" again.

That's difference between HS3 and HS4 - in HS3 the config was updating on every click, HS4 - "Save"

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post

Here is mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	1493
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1481259
                  How does it match the value in the App?

Comment

How does it match the value in the App?
                    App shows 7.9, so very close.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post

App shows 7.9, so very close.
                      Still strange why it's different.. Please keep an eye. Unit conversion is always a pain...

Comment

alexbk66 Local settings have been done in the app and w10. Ambient Weather, Ecowitt and NOAA2, as far as what I am using, are all working correctly. Great job!

Comment

Still strange why it's different.. Please keep an eye. Unit conversion is always a pain...
                          I will watch and let you know. Might get a chance today.

Comment

Okay, I added my Ambient Weather Console WS-2000 to send the data to your PI with the AW Local option. It did not create the following devices
                            • Wind Direction Avg 10min
                            • Wind Speed Avg 10min
                            • Maximum Daily Gust
                            • Hourly Rain
                            • Monthly Rain
                            • Yearly Rain
                            • Solar Radiation
                            • pm25 in
                            • pm25 24h in
                            • aqi pm25 in
                            • aqi pm25 in txt
                            • aqi pm25 24h in
                            • aqi pm25 24h txt
                            • dewpoint
                            • feelslike
                            • Illuminance
                            And yes I do have the Show Air Quality Index (AQI) Slider enable.

have not had any Lightning with the rain today so I can't say one way or the other on those options.

It did create a pressure device but did not state if it was Relative or Absolute

Comment

Originally posted by jim@beersman.com View Post
                              Okay, I added my Ambient Weather Console WS-2000 to send the data to your PI with the AW Local option. It did not create the following devices

It did create a pressure device but did not state if it was Relative or Absolute
                              "Wind Direction Avg 10min" is called Winddir
                              "Wind Speed Avg 10min" - Wind Speed
                              "Maximum Daily Gust" - Wind Gust
                              "Hourly Rain" - Precipitation
                              "Monthly Rain" and "Yearly Rain" - I don't think is useful, especially if GW1000 doesn't keep the values after reboot. Daily and Weekly should be sufficient
                              "Solar Radiation" - I need to add
                              "pm25", etc. - I have the external sensor, so there's "Air Quality PM25", I need to add internal as well

"dewpoint", "feelslike", "Illuminance" - are not present in the data stream, wold be created if were present. I have function for "feelslike" calculation, but prefer to rely on what's available
                              ​​​​​​​
                              "Pressure" is relative
                              ​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X