This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davis Instruments WeatherLink

Latest plugin version has full support for WeatherLink - both Local and Remote
    Click image for larger version  Name:	WLL New.png Views:	95 Size:	266.4 KB ID:	1526541
    Note: each "Location" supports only one temperature/pressure/humidity device (actually one for inside and one for outside). If you have mutiple sources (sensors) for temperature/humidity - the device value will be overwritten.

If want to separate the devices - you can create multiple Locations and select only the Isid's for the devices you want to display for each Location.

I.e. to see the values for AirlLink only please create a separate Location - but select only AirlLink Isid.

To check what values are actually selected - enable Log for the Location and check the HS log.

Also "Info" device shows which Isid's are used for the current Location.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	WLL Cfg.png Views:	93 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	1526542

Aside from the Davis Weather Station, what do we need (software & hardware) to interface with AKWeather? Also, I see it looks like you're reporting atmospheric pressure? Can you also report Barometric pressure?

Very promising for my needs

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
      Aside from the Davis Weather Station, what do we need (software & hardware) to interface with AKWeather?
      Current implementation is using WeatherLink cloud API - so whatever hardware you have to upload your data to the website.

I will add Local API after I polish this one. I haven't looked in details yet, but I guess most popular device is WeatherLink Live.

I'm hoping to hear from the users what are the options?

Comment

I see it looks like you're reporting atmospheric pressure? Can you also report Barometric pressure?
        I'm still working on the plugin, there's a lot of work as there's 247 types of supported sensors.
        If you can provide the JSON reply for your PWS - I can add your data.

If you set Log level to Trace (in Location settings) - you can get the JSON reply from HS Log.
        Alternatively you can use request URL in browser or PM me your WeatherLink credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Current implementation is using WeatherLink cloud API - so whatever hardware you have to upload your data to the website.

I will add Local API after I polish this one. I haven't looked in details yet, but I guess most popular device is WeatherLink Live.

I'm hoping to hear from the users what are the options?
          My preference would be the less dependent on the cloud the better. However, I suspect others might need the cloud interface in order to monitor remote stations.

Comment

My preference would be the less dependent on the cloud the better. However, I suspect others might need the cloud interface in order to monitor remote stations.
            Local is obvious choice. Cloud is more generic and as you said - useful for remote monitoring.

Local is more work as there are different devices with different protocols. But I always aim to implement both.

For Local API - I need my users to tell me what's the priority. My guess would be WeatherLink Live...

Comment

Local is obvious choice. Cloud is more generic and as you said - useful for remote monitoring.

Local is more work as there are different devices with different protocols. But I always aim to implement both.

For Local API - I need my users to tell me what's the priority. My guess would be WeatherLink Live...
              Yup, that's the 6100 device. It's my understanding that if you have that you don't need to purchase a local console because that device receives the data from the station and other sensors. It then distributes data via WiFi to the cloud and local devices. I just have to check on "to the cloud AND local devices" because I don't want to be dependent on the cloud as the primary source of the data.

Comment

Yup, that's the 6100 device. It's my understanding that if you have that you don't need to purchase a local console because that device receives the data from the station and other sensors. I then distributes data via wiFi to the cloud and local devices. I just have to check on "to the cloud AND local devices" because I don't want to be dependent on the cloud as the primary source of the data.
                Yes, you are right. Cloud and Local are two different comms APIs, so I implement them as two different providers. Currently I'm working on the Cloud one.

Comment

Does Davis publish a local API today? Many years ago their console serial transport was reversed engineered.

It's science, but it works like magic.: Build Your Own Davis Weather Station Console!!! (madscientistlabs.blogspot.com)
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm still working on the plugin, there's a lot of work as there's 247 types of supported sensors.
                    If you can provide the JSON reply for your PWS - I can add your data.

If you set Log level to Trace (in Location settings) - you can get the JSON reply from HS Log.
                    Alternatively you can use request URL in browser or PM me your WeatherLink credentials.
                    To hopefully assist in the later generate a URL I have put up quick link to generate their URL once they have their WL API V2 credentials. The Station ID is also required so get that first.
                    I was a very quick throw together after our PM yesterday.

https://brien.com.au/davis_api_gen.html

Also there are two Davis APIs depending on the equipment.

Version 2
                    https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/

Version 1
                    https://www.weatherlink.com/static/d...umentation.pdf

Local V1 API
                    IP_ADDRESS/v1/current_conditions

Can be used for both the Davis 6100 Weatherlink Live (WLL) and Davis Airlink.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Does Davis publish a local API today? Many years ago there transport was reversed engineered.

It's science, but it works like magic.: Build Your Own Davis Weather Station Console!!! (madscientistlabs.blogspot.com)
                      Yes, but two distinct things. This work was capture and translate the ISS packets transmitted rather than a local API.

The work by Belfreboy and Bushman building the 3rd serial connector, and the other work on metrobridge, the wifi logger probably lead Davis to design the Davis 6100 (WLL) and purple air to the Airlink. The market changed and it took Davis 5 years to catch up before their release of their WLL.

I know you’ve been running Cumulus 1 but have you looked at porting to CumulusMX, you can port your data forward as they use the same data both txt and ini logs.

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Migrating_...umulus_1_to_MX

Comment

Thank you Tim.

Been doing weather stuff since the 1990's. First weather station was the AAG 1-Wire. I have two of these from the early days and sold one to a guy in Norway a while ago. In the early 2000's used a 1-wire lightning sensor which worked well with mcs xAP. After the AAG weather station went to Davis and the modded serial cables that I got from the folks on WeatherWX forum (I am pete or petec there too). Last weather thing I did was using an RPi - SD radio to download NOAA weather maps on satellite that pass overhead. See here ==> Raspberry Pi NOAA Weather Satellite Receiver

I know you’ve been running Cumulus 1 but have you looked at porting to CumulusMX, you can port your data forward as they use the same data both txt and ini logs.

Here switched to Cumulus MX and Linux using Mono when it first came out. I am Pete or PeteC on the Cumulus forum. I posted a Visio drawing here of my configuration here on Homeseer which was just an RPi tacked on to the back of the Davis console using the buffered serial cable that I purchased from Australia many many years ago. Adam modded his Cumulus script to talk to two weather stations way back. It worked great.

The original Davis weather software looked like it was written for Windows 3.1 and never changed.

Then got a Meteostick and installed WeatherWx on a Homeseer peer computer at LAS and liked it so much was going in that direction (and MQTT) after the Cumulus author retired. Davis makes good stuff but very always very slow on their hardware updates. The 10 year old console(s) were literally 20 year old hardware technology. I prefer here to keep the weather local for my own use and take from the internet what I need. I used to upload data here to NOAA and Weatherunderground. Weatherunderground got too commercial and went to only NOAA uploading. I contacted NOAA (and kept bugging them relentlessly) to clean up their DB of personal weather stations and they assigned a NOAA employee to clean it up...not sure if it is clean today though...it was totally mangled.

Personally would never plug my weather console or weather station directly to the internet. Just like my home thermostat or my satellite receiver...but that is me.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Aside from the Davis Weather Station, what do we need (software & hardware) to interface with AKWeather? Also, I see it looks like you're reporting atmospheric pressure? Can you also report Barometric pressure?

Very promising for my needs
                          Davis reads Barometric Pressure and the barometric pressure readings are millibars (hectopascals).

Barometric Pressure is a term used to describe the pressure measured by a barometer.
                          Atmospheric Pressure refers to the pressure exerted by the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Does Davis publish a local API today?
                            Yes Pete, they do have API docs

https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/api-reference

https://weatherlink.github.io/weathe...discovery.html

Comment

Just looked at the API. Very nicely documented.

Thank you Alex.

Would you consider an option in your new plugin to use serial data from the console via direct connection or a serial to Ethernet connection or using readable data from the Meteostick?
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X