No announcement yet.

Creating a location without specifying a provider triggers a reflection error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a location without specifying a provider triggers a reflection error

It seems if you try to create a new location but don't select a provider, it doesn't handle the missing data gracefully. Instead of prompting you to enter a provider I get a reflection error. It appears in a dialog box that I can't copy and paste otherwise I'd paste the error here. I believe this is repeatable though. Let me know if you still need the error and I can try to take some screen grabs.

Originally posted by begunfx View Post

It seems if you try to create a new location but don't select a provider, it doesn't handle the missing data gracefully. Instead of prompting you to enter a provider I get a reflection error. It appears in a dialog box that I can't copy and paste otherwise I'd paste the error here. I believe this is repeatable though. Let me know if you still need the error and I can try to take some screen grabs.
    Sure I need the screenshots and more info about error. What's "reflection error"? Info about OS, HS, plugin version?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-10.png
Views:	76
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1494794

Comment

Okay. To reproduce the error, create a new location, enter an API key (can be real or a made up value) and then skip selecting a provider. The reflection error then will appear. See attached.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_104854.png Views:	6 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	1494824
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_104856.png Views:	6 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	1494825
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_104855.png Views:	6 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	1494826

Comment

begunfx why do you enter the API key without provider selected? The key is saved per provider, so it doesn't make sense anyways.

Comment

Try ver 4.0.1.8 (in BETA)

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
            begunfx why do you enter the API key without provider selected? The key is saved per provider, so it doesn't make sense anyways.
            This was a user input error on my part by not selecting the provider, but the plugin should handle this gracefully and remind the user that they forgot to select a provider.

Comment

Try ver 4.0.1.8 (in BETA)
              Will do. Thanks

Comment

I just installed 4.0.1.8 and still see the ability to add the API key even though no provider was selected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_104872.png
Views:	75
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1494924

Comment

I just installed 4.0.1.8 and still see the ability to add the API key even though no provider was selected.
                  So what? Did you try to enter the API key?

I can hide the API key input until you select the provider and save settings, then you need second step - enter the key and save settings again?

Comment

This was a user input error on my part by not selecting the provider, but the plugin should handle this gracefully and remind the user that they forgot to select a provider.

3. Select the provider from the list

4. If required by provider, enter the API key. The provider specific request "Link for API key" is shown below.
                    That's the instructions. User "should" follow the instructions, then plugin "should" work

Comment

So what? Did you try to enter the API key?

I can hide the API key input until you select the provider and save settings, then you need second step - enter the key and save settings again?
                      Okay. Sorry, I guess I assumed that you could reveal the API key once you selected a provider. Didn't realize that having to save 2x was required to reveal the API key. I guess just having the instructions is the only option. I just tested it without selecting a provider and adding an API and it doesn't give the reflection error anymore. It would be nice if it prompted the user that they didn't select a provider, but if there are limitations with HS4, then don't worry about it. Thanks for fixing the reflection error.

Comment

In HS4 settings screens are static, so it's not possible to dynamically show/hide elements.

Comment

Working...
                        X