Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meteostick

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    I like the Meteostick here as it does not need a Davis Console to run it. This is similar to the Davis 6100 WeatherLink Live device only much smaller and no frills with it.

The Meteohub software (firmware) connects to the Davis Console via the serial logger or to the Davis ISS via the Meteostick.

Played with the Meteostick last weekend. Just connected it this morning and noticed it does not save the settings.

IE: if you have a power failure then you have to reconfigure the MeteoStick. Wondering if the Meteohub auto configures itself for the Meteostick once you have lost power.

The Davis Console remembers settings with or without batteries after a power failure sort of. It goes back to configuration once it powers up.

Basic output once configured. It is just a serial device with a USB connection.

There is no mechanism in the Meteostick to indicate backup ISS battery info. The serial logger to the Davis Console shows Console battery and ISS battery (even though it is only a backup to the supercap).
    Yes Pete I received the Meteostick protocol document from smartbedded.com:

It connects via USB serial (FTDI chip).
    Please find protocol (when used outside the Meteobridge world) attached.

If you are willing to do the testing - I can start implementing it.

If you are willing to do the testing - I can start implementing it.

yes.

BTW only utilize Linux these days for HS4. (same as Homeseer 3).

Specifically new test micro computer for house #2.

HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591 Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb

Tested the Meteostick in the basement here and it works fine with cement foundation (under ground level) to ISS mounted outside adjacent to house.

Current console is also in the basement on the server rack here.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
    Fanless Intel® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Tested the Meteostick in the basement here and it works fine with cement foundation (under ground level) to ISS mounted outside adjacent to house.
      Pete did you test Meteostick with HS4??? Or just by itself?

Comment

Played with the Meteostick last weekend. Just connected it this morning and noticed it does not save the settings.

IE: if you have a power failure then you have to reconfigure the MeteoStick. Wondering if the Meteohub auto configures itself for the Meteostick once you have lost power.
        I have reply from Boris:

configuration is done by just a few commands which need to be sent each time the USB connection establishes.
        Configuration needs to be stored in your app and given to the Meteostick when it is connected to the system that wants to read data.
        Pete, can you tell what configuration I need to store in the plugin and which command to use to send it to the stick?

Comment

did you test Meteostick with HS4??? Or just by itself?

1 - tested the Meteostick on my laptop running Ubuntu with a terminal window
          2 - tested the Meteostick on my HS4 Pro server using SSH. The HS4 base OS is Ubuntu 20.04. The same computer is also running Home Assistant and an Oracle Windows embedded virtual box.

Works fine in Ubuntu Linux using Intel CPUs or Arm CPU.

It is really just setting up a terminal session.

Configuration needed on boot up will need to be: (IE: boot up default baud rate is 115200 baud, 8N1)

Going by the manual and what I have been doing here near Chicago.

1 - probably first a reset. "r"
          2 - configuration of ISS transmitter channels. Default is channel 1. Here utilize channel 5.

Transmitter command: t First of all you specify which transmitter IDs Meteostick should listen to. This is done in a bit wise representation, where transmitter ID 1 is represented by the lowest bit, ID 2 by the next bit, etc. As we have up to 8 transmitter IDs, the setup is represented in a byte with a value range from 0-255. When you want Meteostick to listen to transmitter IDs 1, 3 and 6 then the value is bits 1, 3 and 6 set which results into binary 00100101 which is 32+4+1 = 37 in decimal. Command is „t37“ with no spaces. This setting has no meaning for Fine Offset WH24.

I do a "t31" here to cover channels 1-5. I have the console configured for channel 5 and no repeater is set up (on a different channel).

3 - Frequency of use which varies globally.

Mode of operation command: m After all setup commands have been send Meteostick needs to be told in which frequency band to operate. „m0“ selects the USA band at 915 MHz, „m1“ selects the Europe band at 868 MHz and “m2” selects Australia frequency band. “m3” selects reception of Fine Offset WH24 sensor unit in 915 MHz band and “m4” in 868 MHz band. As Meteostick does listen only there can be no harm, when you select the wrong band. You simply will not receive data as no stations sending there. m0 # frequency band 915MHz selected After sending the mode of operation command Meteostick will start listening for sensors and will report data via the serial connection. Your program now has only to listen to an ongoing stream of data.

I use "m0" here in the US. There you would use "m2"

4 - not sure how you want to read the data from the ISS.

Testing here using clear text data:

Clear Text Data When „o2“ command has been sent, Meteostick will report data in a human readable style. This is good for manual inspection of what the incoming data looks like. Below you find a listing of the output generated by listening to a Vantage Vue on transmitter IDs 1 and 2, a Vantage Pro2 Plus on ID 3 and a soil/leaf station on ID 7.

Other options are raw data "o0",

When „o1“ command has been sent, Meteostick will report data in a machine readable style. This is good for feeding it into a program. Meteostick does report sensor data in the following format, where each line starts with a one letter sensor identifier, followed by transmitter id and sensor Page 5 of 8 dependent values.

So then on startup of plugin you will need to: (long math wise). All of the following is important to start the plugin and have it function to read the serial data.

1 - reset device
          2 - configure channels
          3 - configure frequency
          4 - configure output data format

You said you had a MeteoHub with a serial connection to the Davis console. All of the above is configured automagically (short math wise) when you use the Meteostick with the Meteohub.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

BTW I can test the plugin in the Oracle Windows VB and run HS4 for Windows there at the same time I am running HS4 on Linux (I do that already).
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Here is the source python script for the WeatherWX Meteostick plugin if it helps at all.

Meteostick

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Here is what the Meteobridge does with the Meteostick.

Its a tad slow but not doing that much.

logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), transmitter 5 registered as ISS
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), Meteostick Version 2.5.3
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), debug off
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), verbose off
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), output raw (8 bytes)
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), output raw (10 bytes)
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), filter on
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), rx threshold set to -90db
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), listening to transmitter 5
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), bandwidth narrow
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), chip authentication ok: 14
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:13): station 0 (Meteostick Vantage), frequency band 915MHz (US)
                logger (16.09.2021 16:47:16): waiting for sensors (wind0, rain0, th0, thb0) to provide data.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete , the config commands I already worked out from the protocol manual. And I guess I also need serial port selection in plugin Location config.

Comment

Working...
                  X