Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Air Air Quality sensors

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Purple Air Air Quality sensors

    I'd like to add support for Purple Air quality sensors, but since I don't own any - I wonder if anybody can provide the API key for testing?

    I also sent request to Purple Air, see if they reply...

    #2
    Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
    I'd like to add support for Purple Air quality sensors, but since I don't own any - I wonder if anybody can provide the API key for testing?

    I also sent request to Purple Air, see if they reply...
    alexbk66 I have PMd you a key to test with

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by mda View Post

      alexbk66 I have PMd you a key to test with
      Yes, thank you.

      Can you please PM the URL you use.

      And what values do you want to see as HS devices?

      Comment


        #4
        alexbk66 i just sent you all the info via PM, please let me know if you need anything else!

        Comment


          #5

          Ver 4.0.1.31 (BETA) - PurpleAir preliminary implementation

          Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-29 (1).png
Views:	62
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1499193
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-29 (2).png
Views:	60
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1499194

          Comment


            #6
            alexbk66 i installed the beta and configured the fields i saw. I did not see a way to tell in which Purpleair sensors to use (i also did not see a way to tell it to use my WeatherFlow PWS, but i did not have time to look at the documentation yet so that is probably my fault .

            for Air Quality, it only created the root device with no features, and there are errors in the logs, attached.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_105734.png Views:	7 Size:	167.7 KB ID:	1500398
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_105735.png Views:	7 Size:	115.0 KB ID:	1500399
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_105736.png Views:	7 Size:	69.0 KB ID:	1500400

            Comment


              #7
              mda in the above screenshot (last one) you have selected DarkSky provider, not PurpleAir?

              [EDIT]

              To use PurpleAir you need to create a new Location and select PurpleAir provider. It will create new root device for PurpleAir.

              When you enter your PurpleAir key - it will give you a list of your sensors, see screenshot in post #5.

              "Show Air Quality Index (AQI)" switch is for separate World Air Quality Index project which will also create another root for that

              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...-quality-index

              Note: you don't need to enable "Show Air Quality Index (AQI)" on PurpleAir setting, unless you want to compare PurpleAir and WAQI numbers.

              Comment


                #8
                I got it configured correctly, thanks! i was confused by the AQI config on the settings page and did not realize i also needed to create a purpleair location (because i am a noob with the plug in, sorry).

                A couple thoughts:

                1. for the "Air Quality PM1", PM10, and PM25 devices It looks like it is reporting Channel B, not averaging Channel A and Channel B (though i am not sure of that.)

                2. Should the "Air Quality" devices it creates actually be called "PM1 Concentration", "PM10 Concentration", "PM2.5 Concentration" so they are not confused with AQI?

                3. For the purpleair config page you may want to call the key "THINGSPEAK_PRIMARY_ID_READ_KEY" so it is a little more clear what to put into the key field?


                For it to work well for me i would need to be able to:

                1. specify which purpleair sensor to use (so i can make sure i choose the outdoor one if i only get to use one)

                2. ideally be able to specifiy more than one (so i can see both my outdoor and indoor purpleair sensors)

                3. get the AQI based on my purpleair sensor. Where i live i have very different air quality than the nearby commercial stations report(which is why i have the purpleair sensors . The local purpleair API does provide PM2.5 AQI, but not PM10 AQI which would be also great to have (based on my purpleair sensor data, not the

                I of course realize i am probably an edge case so these things might not be needed by enough users to be worth the effort, no worries.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	image_105817.png
Views:	50
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	1500998

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mda View Post
                  1. for the "Air Quality PM1", PM10, and PM25 devices It looks like it is reporting Channel B, not averaging Channel A and Channel B (though i am not sure of that.)
                  I display maximum of both channels, do you thing average is better?

                  Originally posted by mda View Post
                  2. Should the "Air Quality" devices it creates actually be called "PM1 Concentration", "PM10 Concentration", "PM2.5 Concentration" so they are not confused with AQI?
                  Possibly, but I'm not an expert. Many providers have confusing info about what they actually display - some show the concertation, some the actual AQI. I guess if you know what you are getting - you just look at the numbers. But if you want you can rename the device yourself.

                  Originally posted by mda View Post
                  3. For the purpleair config page you may want to call the key "THINGSPEAK_PRIMARY_ID_READ_KEY" so it is a little more clear what to put into the key field?
                  Will do

                  Originally posted by mda View Post
                  1. specify which purpleair sensor to use (so i can make sure i choose the outdoor one if i only get to use one)
                  You should be able to select the sensor from the list (i.e. 36813 below), or enter the sensor ID manually (i.e. 55583 below).
                  Note: the second one is actually used, so once you enter the sensor ID manually - the first one is ignored. I need to check why it's still shown, it shouldn't.

                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-07 182902.png Views:	0 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	1501010
                  Originally posted by mda View Post
                  2. ideally be able to specifiy more than one (so i can see both my outdoor and indoor purpleair sensors)
                  For that you need to add another location.

                  Originally posted by mda View Post
                  3. get the AQI based on my purpleair sensor. . The local purpleair API does provide PM2.5 AQI, but not PM10 AQI
                  I always try to add Local API also, problem is - for that I need to have the sensor, and often manufacturers are tight asses and don't want to send me the device. I'll try to remind them again.

                  Also if you are willing to do the testing - I may try adding Local support and let you test, but it may require a bit of effort.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I have a Purple Air instrument in my back yard. I do access it differently than sensors outside.

                    I also found it easier to just generate my own JSON request from a Homeseer script. It does require one to decipher the JSON response though.

                    I have found that the sensors can report invalid results at times. So I display multiple sensor values on my Touch screen, so that I can detect if any are amiss. I also reject AQI values when I average the numbers together if a specific AQI value is wildly different. The sensor tubes could be blocked by insect debris, or perhaps someone is having a BBQ nearby.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                      I have a Purple Air instrument in my back yard. I do access it differently than sensors outside.

                      I also found it easier to just generate my own JSON request from a Homeseer script. It does require one to decipher the JSON response though.

                      I have found that the sensors can report invalid results at times. So I display multiple sensor values on my Touch screen, so that I can detect if any are amiss. I also reject AQI values when I average the numbers together if a specific AQI value is wildly different. The sensor tubes could be blocked by insect debris, or perhaps someone is having a BBQ nearby.
                      Are you suggesting to add any of your functionality to my plugin?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        No I am not, as that is not my call. Sorry if I appeared to advocate that.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                          No I am not, as that is not my call. Sorry if I appeared to advocate that.
                          But if you have any suggestions, I'm happy to implement

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

                            I display maximum of both channels, do you thing average is better?

                            Also if you are willing to do the testing - I may try adding Local support and let you test, but it may require a bit of effort.
                            I would be happy to help test if it is helpful to you and other users.

                            (I am using jon00’s data scraper to get purple air local and cloud data for my sensors and that is working great for me.)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by mda View Post
                              I would be happy to help test if it is helpful to you and other users.
                              Sure. I also hope PurpleAir will send me the sensor for testing Local API.

                              uRADMonitor is more pro-active and sent me their sensor.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X