little confused.. getting started help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

little confused.. getting started help

I just got my GW1100 and WH32 and am ready to setup. been reading through posts... but am a little confused as to where to start.

If i want to run locally, assume i still go through the setup Ecowitt instructions first to get it running and seeing data on phone?
    Then, there seem to be two local versions in this thread, ... not sure which one to follow?
    And do i setup the PI first, then go back and fix for local?

Sorry if this is on in the threads... but a bit confused on the different setups, etc.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
    If i want to run locally, assume i still go through the setup Ecowitt instructions first to get it running and seeing data on phone?
    Then, there seem to be two local versions in this thread, ... not sure which one to follow?
    And do i setup the PI first, then go back and fix for local?
    Yes, you are right - you need to setup the app first.

Ecowitt implemented two different protocols, you can use both (totally independent) to compare the results if you wish.

The first doesn't require any configuration (using port hardcoded 46000) - so it will be better choice to start with.
    The second one requires minimal configuration and is better if you have multiple PWS because you can change the port.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...icial-protocol
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...tocol-no-cloud

If you want, you can for testing use both simultaneously - i.e. create two Locations, select Ecowitt provider for one, AmbientWeatherLocal for the other one. Then you can compare both and decide which one you like more.

Not sure what you mean by "do i setup the PI first, then go back and fix for local"?

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Not sure what you mean by "do i setup the PI first, then go back and fix for local"?
      Thanks Alex!

What i meant was after i get the app all working. Then i install the plugin.

My question was i believed the PI used their cloud connection to bring the data in. So i'd get it going using the cloud connection first, and then make the changes to make it local.

Even as i type this i recognize i'm not making too much sense.

I'll setup the app.
      then i'll download the PI.
      then follow your first link to setup for local (i'll only have one PWS).

Comment

Yeah, both protocols are 'local'.

After you setup the app and install the plugin - the first Location will be created automatically - all you need is to select "Ecowitt" provider in the Location settings.

Comment

Even with one PWS you still can try both protocols - they may produce different results.

Then you can delete the Location you don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
            Even with one PWS you still can try both protocols - they may produce different results.

Then you can delete the Location you don't like.
            Thanks Alex. All i want is the reading from my local sensors... nothing more. So sounds like the first option is fine.

It did pick a location in my area.. but not my zip code. Assume that doesn't matter as i'm only interested in my readings from my devices?

Comment

Thanks Alex. All i want is the reading from my local sensors... nothing more. So sounds like the first option is fine.

It did pick a location in my area.. but not my zip code. Assume that doesn't matter as i'm only interested in my readings from my devices?
              Where do you see the zip code? Do you mean when Location is created - in the Location name? It's not used for local comms, that's why in the Location settings for local providers coordinates are not shown.

And you can rename the Location obviously.

Comment

Both providers should produce the same results, but there's a possibility that something may differ, i.e. units conversion, or sensor battery readings.

Comment

Working...
                X