Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precipitation (event) doesn't seem to be reporting anymore (AmbientWeatherLocal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precipitation (event) doesn't seem to be reporting anymore (AmbientWeatherLocal)

Hey alexbk66. We've been having some decent rain lately (yes Los Angeles!), but I noticed that the "Precipitation" feature isn't reporting anymore (it's raining as I write this). It was for a while without issue. See attached screenshot and log file.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AKWeatherPrecipitationjUnknown.png Views:	24 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	1580306

akWeatherLog.txt

I'll check. But can you tell when it stopped working, i.e. after plugin update?

Comment

I checked the source code. For the Precipitation device I use "rainratein" which you don't have in the log.

You do have "hourlyrainin" and "eventrainin" though, but you don't seem to have corresponding HS devices?

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
        I checked the source code. For the Precipitation device I use "rainratein" which you don't have in the log.

You do have "hourlyrainin" and "eventrainin" though, but you don't seem to have corresponding HS devices?
        I do have those devices. Sorry, the list was too long to show all of them. This is the rest of the list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AKWeatherPrecipitationjUnknown_2.png
Views:	132
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1580782

Comment

I'll check. But can you tell when it stopped working, i.e. after plugin update?
          Unfortunately, I really don't know when it stopped as we haven't been getting rain very often for a while so it's hard to say.

Comment

It appears that the installation is reporting, but reporting zero rain. I've had this happen and it had a bit to do with hardware and more to do with a lot of "software!" My first suggestion is to check the rain "dipper" to ensure there is no bird poop (aka software) underneath preventing it from dumping the rain. If there is, it is a royal PITA to get out, and I see one of these in your future. I suggest a curved pick of some description and a small vacuum cleaner.
            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.174,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.0,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.50.128.5,JowiHue 4.1.3.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.25.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.0.3

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
              It appears that the installation is reporting, but reporting zero rain. I've had this happen and it had a bit to do with hardware and more to do with a lot of "software!" My first suggestion is to check the rain "dipper" to ensure there is no bird poop (aka software) underneath preventing it from dumping the rain. If there is, it is a royal PITA to get out, and I see one of these in your future. I suggest a curved pick of some description and a small vacuum cleaner.
              Thanks for the reply ewkearns. Actually, in my case, the weather station has been reporting all the rain events properly. During our last storm, I was getting everything as expected. It just seems to be getting lost somewhere when coming into the plugin.

Comment

I recently had no reporting for rainfall, but I was getting temperature and wind. The only change I could find was a slight rearrangement of furniture in the kitchen. So on a guess, I moved the receiver about 10 feet closer to the weather station and in direct line of sight through a window, and all was good again. Apparently, my receiver was just out of range for the rain sensor, but apparently close enough for the others (I guess they send separate signals).
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
                  I recently had no reporting for rainfall, but I was getting temperature and wind. The only change I could find was a slight rearrangement of furniture in the kitchen. So on a guess, I moved the receiver about 10 feet closer to the weather station and in direct line of sight through a window, and all was good again. Apparently, my receiver was just out of range for the rain sensor, but apparently close enough for the others (I guess they send separate signals).
                  I am getting all the readings for rain in the plugin just the precipitation (which is the in/hr).

Comment

From ver 4.0.4.17 I added support for new Ecowitt Wittboy which has new piezo rain sensor and the API reports is separately, so I made some changes.

Looking at my code, the "precipitation" reading comes from "rainratein" variable, which begunfx doesn't seem to have in the log.

"precip_hr" comes from "hourlyrainin" which you do seem to have. Not sure what is the difference though - the definition of "precipitation" is actually "rain per hour".

With any issues please check the log (assuming it is enabled) and report the relevant values you see there, i.e. eventrainin, hourlyrainin.

If anything is missing in the log (i.e. "rainratein") - I can't do much about it. Otherwise if you do see the values in the log, but not in HS - please let me know.

Comment

From ver 4.0.4.17 I added support for new Ecowitt Wittboy which has new piezo rain sensor and the API reports is separately, so I made some changes.

Looking at my code, the "precipitation" reading comes from "rainratein" variable, which begunfx doesn't seem to have in the log.

"precip_hr" comes from "hourlyrainin" which you do seem to have. Not sure what is the difference though - the definition of "precipitation" is actually "rain per hour".

With any issues please check the log (assuming it is enabled) and report the relevant values you see there, i.e. eventrainin, hourlyrainin.

If anything is missing in the log (i.e. "rainratein") - I can't do much about it. Otherwise if you do see the values in the log, but not in HS - please let me know.
                      alexbk66 Can you please check back through your code changes? Precipitation was working for me for a while without issue. Nothing had changed on my side as far as I know. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by begunfx View Post
                        alexbk66 Can you please check back through your code changes? Precipitation was working for me for a while without issue. Nothing had changed on my side as far as I know. Much appreciated.
                        I separated "rainratein" and "hourlyrainin" in ver 4.0.2.50 (25 Mar 2022) - different systems report different values.

Comment

begunfx you titled the thread "Precipitation (event)" - do you have problem with Precipitation Event? The log seem to report the value.

Comment

I separated "rainratein" and "hourlyrainin" in ver 4.0.2.50 (25 Mar 2022) - different systems report different values.
                            Thanks for the changes Alex. Hopefully we get some more rain soon, then I can report back an update.

Comment

begunfx you titled the thread "Precipitation (event)" - do you have problem with Precipitation Event? The log seem to report the value.
                              Please see post number 1 screenshot. My title was reflective of the feature "Precipitation" not reporting - which is in/hr rate of rain (I believe).

Comment

Working...
                              X