Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMeteo provider. No API key is required.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenMeteo provider. No API key is required.

Ver 4.0.4.47 - Added OpenMeteo provider

Open-Meteo is an open-source weather API with free access for non-commercial use. No API key is required.

- Detailed hourly forecast for 7 days (168 hours)
    - NOAA GFS combined with hourly HRRR updates and is optimised for the U.S.
    - GEM global and regional GEM models from the Canadian Meteorological Center CMC and is optimised for North America
    - MeteoFrance AROME and ARPEGE weather models and is optimised for Central Europe
    - DWD ICON API Open data weather forecasts from the German weather service DWD
    - JMA global GSM and local MSM models and is optimised for Japan
    - MET Norway hourly updates & 1 km forecasts for Scandinavia
    ​- Ver 4.0.4.50 - Added Air Quality API
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-12-29 (3).png Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	1583531
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-12-28 (2).png Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	1583386
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-12-28 (1).png Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	1583385

Ver 4.0.4.50 - OpenMeteo provider - Added Air Quality API

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-29 (3).png
Views:	276
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1583530

Comment

Ver 4.0.5.40 - Open-Meteo daily forecast: added UV index and precip. probability; Max forecast days increased to 16;

Transitioned to the 13 km resolution GFS model from the previous 25 km resolution.

Comment

Open-Meteo provider also supports Marine API https://open-meteo.com/en/docs/marine-weather-api

You can experiment with available data (forecast only, including hourly) - if it interest you, I can add Marine forecast to Open-Meteo provider.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...ey-is-required

Here's the full list. What's the difference between them, and which ones are important?

For Hourly forecast:

For Daily forecast:

Originally posted by will40
        Open Meteo's Marine service looks like a good fit from what I can see. Myself personally, I would be most interested in hourly forecasted wave height, its direction, and it's wave period.

I suppose I would want to compare wave height and wind wave height as well.

Is there a limit to API calls?

Originally posted by racerfern
        I'm sure there will be varying opinions, but for me:

Hourly:
        wave_height
        swell_wave_height

wave_Direction
        swell_wave_direction

wave_period
        swell_wave_period

Daily:
        wave_height_max
        swell_wave_height_max

wave_period_max
        swell_wave_period_max

Thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by will40
          Is there a limit to API calls?
          10'000 API calls per day​

Comment

Looks good Alex, thanks for the tip. I tried their site and data looks very updated in comparison to my go to marine apps Windy and Ventusky.

I could set imperial units for their weather data but not for their marine data. But that may have just been my fault for missing a setting someplace?

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
              Looks good Alex, thanks for the tip. I tried their site and data looks very updated in comparison to my go to marine apps Windy and Ventusky.

I could set imperial units for their weather data but not for their marine data. But that may have just been my fault for missing a setting someplace?
              Can you please provide more details, screenshots, etc

Comment

here is screenshot from their web site or the marine data. The wave height is in meters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	188.8 KB ID:	1610406

The weather screenshot follows.​

This allows you to set your unit preference. I just don't see settings in the marine data.

When you add the marine data to your plug-in will we be able to set the units like you have available with your other providers?

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
                  This allows you to set your unit preference. I just don't see settings in the marine data.
                  When you add the marine data to your plug-in will we be able to set the units like you have available with your other providers?
                  I thought you meant the plugin. Sure, the plugin uses HS setting (C vs F) for the units.

Comment

Ok, ver 4.0.5.63 - Tomorrow.IO and Open-Meteo: Added Marine API

Functionality for these two providers is very similar, not sure about quality of data. Current conditions, Daily and Hourly forecasts should have the new marine data (may depend on location).

Since it's a lot of work - I need volunteers to test - verify data and units. I'll start a separate forum thread for Marine API discussion tomorrow - as it's only related to Open-Meteo provider.

I suspect for Open-Meteo I need to add conversion from metric units for US.

Note: both providers have "Use Marine API" toggle:​

Name:	image.png
Views:	298
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1610684

Views:	307
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	1610682

Views:	295
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	1610683​​

Comment

Correction: Open-Meteo weather API does support units selection, and is implemented in the plugin (i.e. Temperature, Wind Speed and precipitation) - but not Visibility or Pressure. And Marine API doesn't seem to support units, so I need to convert manually.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                        And Marine API doesn't seem to support units, so I need to convert manually.
                        gotcha..I will update now and report back

Comment

I also contacted Open-Meteo, they said they will add units to Marine API, so for now I won't add units conversion. Hopefully they also add Visibility and Pressure units to Weather API.

Comment

I also started a new thread https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...tides-currents

For Open-Meteo specifically you still can post here, otherwise for general Marine Weather discussion (including new requests) better to use the new thread.

Comment

open-meteo GitHub issue for units conversion:

https://github.com/open-meteo/open-meteo/issues/311

Comment

Working...
                              X