NOAA Alert Devices/Features (v4.2.1.0+)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOAA Alert Devices/Features (v4.2.1.0+)

Hi All, BETA 4.2.1.0 is the first version of rnbWeather with NOAA alerts included.

NOAA alerts will work different fro other weather services eg: OpenWeather.
    NOAA/NWS make 132 different types of alerts available. In other areas within rnbWeather, you choose how many device features you want to setup and as rnbWeather gets alerts it puts them into the first free feature. With ~132 alert types, this is not feasible as if you select o haev 4 features, alert 5 could be the one of interest but it is missed becuase we only created 4 features.
    For this reason, rnbWeather allows you to choose the alert features you want from the list to ensure you are monitoring the alerts that concern you.
    Alerts are shown using icons by either occuting now (active) or may occur in the future (Future). The icon represents the severity classification of the alert. Any alerts that ahve passed or end before today are removed from feature.
    Note: If more than one alert is issued for the same alert type eg: Flood warning, then the text will show both alerts and the icon will show the worst serverity.

The Weather overview page will now also show the alerts if you have chosen to show them. The header of the section will be color coded by the most severve alert

I welcome any thoughts/feedback on how I have implemented the alerts or any issues you have with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alerts_noaa_status.png
Views:	449
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1541905Click image for larger version

Name:	alerttypes_noaa.png
Views:	337
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1541906
    Click image for larger version

Name:	waterinfo_alerts_noaa.png
Views:	334
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1541907

Really appreciate the upgrades to the plugin. Just so I understand... with the alerts now included for NOAA if I want to be email/txt I need to setup an event for each alert type? There is no all-in-one that will forward alert information (variables). Hope that makes sense.

Comment

It does make sense - let me have a think. What i haven't done yet is to really add any events and this might be a good event action where by Send a NOAA alert and include the following alerts. Where an alert is empty it could ignore. Will add it to my list but won't be this week.

Comment

Originally posted by russr999 View Post
        It does make sense - let me have a think. What i haven't done yet is to really add any events and this might be a good event action where by Send a NOAA alert and include the following alerts. Where an alert is empty it could ignore. Will add it to my list but won't be this week.
        I appreciate the consideration.

Comment

russr999 , adding to the conversation on NOAA alerts, once I setup a bunch of alerts I'd like to see the HS Device was created as expected. I usually operate HS in Grid View, and the Device Grid looks as included in the first screenshot. Problem is there are so many alerts you cannot see that one of them is actually in alert status at this moment, see second screenshot. We discussed Events previously in this thread, but I was thinking it would be helpful if the Grid showed an alert - not just the first alert I subscribed to (911 Telephone...).
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi RRR, v4.2.6.0 BETA has just been released. In this version there are 2 new alert devices:
            • My Alerts Summary
              • This will put all alerts for the features you have selected into a summary device. The status indicator will be drieved from the lowest alert eg: If there are 2 alerts with one occuring now which is moderate and one which is future but sever, this feature will return the Moderate Alert Ative status. This will only add alerts to the this summary if you already have a feature for that alert
            • All Alerts Summary
              • This will put all alerts for your location into a summary device. The status indicator will be drieved from the lowest alert eg: If there are 2 alerts with one occuring now which is moderate and one which is future but sever, this feature will return the Moderate Alert Ative status

This should help to solve your issue. I hope to add 2 more alert features in v4.2.7.0 which will give a summary by alert type ie instead of showing you the alert info, it will show you there are 5 moderative alerts occuring now and the alert types they are, 2 minor alerts occruing in the future and the alert types they are. The reason for 2 additional features is as per the new summary features, one will be for your selected alerts and the other will be for all regardless if its selected or not.

In terms of choosing what to display in the grid, v4.2.6.0 now allows you to pick a feature to show as primary which will make it show up in the grid in the space you wanted.

Hope this gets closer to what you were hoping for.

Comment

@russ999, Thanks for this new feature! I responded already to your posting on the new Primary selection feature. Seen that posting first...

I did notice when I went in to edit NOAA to add the two new alert devices and saved, my previous "important" features I had selected got reset. I'm guessing that is due to the devices being recreated. Never noticed that before. For that reason alone, your Primary feature makes sense. I do like HS lets you select up to 3 features to present on the grid thou.

I've added the two Alert Summary's and waiting for an alert to come in. Should be tomorrow for sever heat. Thanks again!
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi RRR, I will be implementing the priorty/important feature to allow upto 3 priorty features to display. I started with the single to to get people started.
                my plan is to implement priorty features and sorting together.
                The primary selection in rnbWeather will get replaced with a number dropdown. This will indicate your order for showing features ie a feature with 2 will show before a feature with 3...so on etc.
                I will also have an option where you can select a sort position of 0.A, 0.B, 0.C - this will be how primary will work in future versions of rnbWeather - If you sort as a 0.X - then it will be a priorty; A,B,C will determine sub order - 1, 2, 3 > does that make sense? you dont have to select all 3 0.X options: If you select 1, only one shows as priorty; 2 only 2 show as priorty and for 3 all 3 show as priorty

I will also have an option to sort features with 99.AA, 99.AB, 99.AC etc - this will allow you to have these devices in HomeSeer but mark as Hidden in both Grid and list view. Haven't tested this yet but if i follow the documentation then i should still be able to use these in events etc!

Theres a good bit of work with the javascript to implement this hence its on teh todo list. I'll show how feasible it is to get this into 4.2.7.0 (might not be though)

Comment

Hi russr999, just follow up comments. I setup an event to send me an email when My Alerts Summary changes to a range of 0 - 9 and I'm glad to report I got the email when the flood warning came in as well as the status information about the alert. Pretty cool, thank you!
                  Attached Files

Comment

russr999 This is one of the selections I have chosen, Heat Advisory, and I have noticed that the text repeats 3 more times, see pic, so it is spoken 4 times. Is there a way to get just one alert to be shown and spoken? Thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	pic1.png Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	1558613

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                      russr999 This is one of the selections I have chosen, Heat Advisory, and I have noticed that the text repeats 3 more times, see pic, so it is spoken 4 times. Is there a way to get just one alert to be shown and spoken? Thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	pic1.png Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	1558613
                      Hi [mention]cowinger [/mention], this is what comes from NOAA as alerts. Each 3 have different alert ids as I've already looked at only taking the latest alert but with the same I'd, this is proving hard. Let me have a look again at the text and times and see if I can find a common element to use to exclude duplicates.
                      I'm away travelling in Europe For another week so will look at it as soon as I get back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by russr999 View Post

Hi [mention]cowinger [/mention], this is what comes from NOAA as alerts. Each 3 have different alert ids as I've already looked at only taking the latest alert but with the same I'd, this is proving hard. Let me have a look again at the text and times and see if I can find a common element to use to exclude duplicates.
                        I'm away travelling in Europe For another week so will look at it as soon as I get back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Great! Thanks for looking into it. Have fun in Europe, hopefully not work related! 😀

Comment

Hi cowinger, no Europe was family related long overdue becuase of covid.
                          If you have any current alerts with this example, can you share your alerts json file with me pls. It should be named using the location reference in rnbWeather and have alerts in the name (eg: 20220617201237alerts.json)

Thanks

Comment

Glad you could get away. Been a long time for any of us to be able to do anything. Here is the json file. Hopefully the correct one. I had to zip it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

How do the alerts work in terms of history? I have several alerts set up but can't say I've ever seen one come through-wondering how I tell if it is working?

Comment

Working...
                              X