Help with door unlock logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randy View Post
    That is odd. I use almost 5-0 timers and moved to HS4 a year ago. Mine have been rock solid. I use 4 that are In constant use to determine if refrigerators and freezers are running. I measure the time between high current draw representing the compressors. If more time elapses than normal between compressor runs I get a pushover and voice announcement. These events and timers have been perfect and reliable since 2014 since I first set them up. I even have a timer that has run constantly for nearly 3 years just to prove it will survive downtime, moving to a different server or whatever. It ran under HS3 and now under HS4 for almost a year. It is still running and will reach three years in about 6 days on January 17 at 8:05AM. It hasn’t missed a beat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	40CA9624-08ED-4A39-8396-F4EF959F3E1E.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	1520074
    Ha, almost got ya!

I use 4 timers, again rock solid if you understand what a timer is and does, just to keep information on the utilization of my Denon AVR entertainment system.

Total time on, we use the entertainment system a lot!
    Last duration on
    Last duration off

I also happened to capture the use of a timer as a time-out timer. If the laundry room light has been on for 8 minutes, the timer fires and I turn off the light and round about we go.

Not rocket science at all.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Timers.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1520106

Comment

Originally posted by sbessel View Post

Wow, just wow...

just because I don't like timers?

I have had issues with them in the past and don't want to run into them again, and for what I want/need the timer portion is nearly irrelevant...
      No, I'm not offended at all. Just bewildered by the logic and conflicting statements. Timers are as simple as it gets, driven down at the BIOS level. A timer is simply a proxy for a virtual device that you can determine the true/false state of as needed.

You do need a timer for this event. It just a matter of which timer you are using: One set by Easy Trigger, or one set by a separate event (which could also be shared by other events that you may envision a need for later). So your adamant dislike of timers is conflicted by using an Easy Trigger timer, which I sort of found humorous.

i have not had an issue with EasyTrigger so I look there first and my the logic I have been applying is programming logic - I.E. the NOT would ring true if this entire statement is NOT TRUE; 100 and > 5 minute.

Which to me makes perfect sense as it would in many programming languages. I do very much grasp the logic.
      As a programmer myself, I find the event logic of Easy Trigger to be perfectly clear and for me it works as expected. Easy Trigger and Homeseer will only execute an event if the trigger and ALL conditions evaluate true.

Let's look logically at your original event as constructed and assume your wife has been Home for 30 seconds, enough time to hit the open button for the garage door. The Trigger fires and the conditions are evaluated at that very millisecond in time:

IF Large Garage Door changes and becomes Open TRUE!
      AND IF Garage Entry Door is Locked TRUE!
      AND IF Wife has NOT been Home for at least 5 Minutes FALSE! SHE IS HOME NOW. EVENT EVALUATION STOPS AND GOES NO FARTHER.
      AND IF Wife is Home NOT EVALUATED
      THEN Unlock Garage Entry Door NOT EXECUTED

I think your problem is you confused NOT being home for 5 minutes with being home LESS THAN 5 minutes. Those are 2 very different statements. One is the state of being away from home while the other is a state of being home.

One more thing to think about: I read your original post, thought about the situation, devised a solution and composed a step-by-step how to for you to go by. Took me around 5 - 7 minutes. You on the other hand have been tinkering with this for several hours. Occam's razor, another sort of evaluation logic, seems to favor the timer as well.

--Barry

Comment

Working...
      X