This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the HS4 Event Clinic Forum!

The folks at HomeSeer offered to create this new forum and I offered to help populate it with instructional posts about the various functions of the HS4 Event Engine. This is to be an HS4 extension to the work I started for HS3. While the function of HS4 remains fundamentally the same as HS3, the interface is new and there are some minor and subtle differences. While the help documentation provides the basic instructions needed to create an event, the goal of these threads will be to explain in detail and step by step how to create events to be used within your HomeSeer HS4/HS4 Pro installation.

Please refer to the HS3 Table of Contents post until I can begin building this project.

These threads are to be geared toward the general user, with the primary goal of making it possible for any user to create events that will drive the automation of their home. We will try to focus on events, with only minimal discussion of scripts.

These threads are to be a work in progress and are likely going to contain some errors from time to time. I ask that if you find errors, have suggestions for additional topics, have suggestions for improvement in format or any other comments on the threads created in this forum please send a PM to me. If you wish to make contributions please contact me as well. We really want this to be a group effort and we want to maintain some consistency in how the information is formatted and presented. This forum will be moderated as the initial threads are built. It will likely build slowly, but it is our hope to provide a concise but thorough explanation of the very powerful Event Engine provided as the core of HS4. As questions come up on this board, the above initial list will be expanded if needed.

This will be a slow buildout, but I do finally have time to spend on this. I will leave threads closed as I am building them and will only open them up when I have the primary focus posts completed for each topic.

Just a quick disclaimer, I am not employed by HomeSeer and this forum is provided as a user to user resource. Anything posted within this forum is the responsibility of the individual posting the information and is not to be construed as an official communication from HomeSeer technologies, LLC.

If you need technical help from directly HomeSeer Technologies, please use the channels outlined on the Support page.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Is there a simple way to make an event to flash the lights 5 times and return to its previous state?

Comment

Quite the undertaking, Randy. I appreciate your efforts.
      Don

Comment

With the upcoming changes to the Event engine, this will be much appreciated.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I will still be working on it, but summer chores took most of my time. Winter is coming

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
            Is there a simple way to make an event to flash the lights 5 times and return to its previous state?
            Perhaps you could use Easy Trigger and it’s toggle command to toggle the lights 10 times. The lights should end up at the original state. You might want to build in some delays so the Z wave commands do not back up.

I think we just hijacked the original post…

Comment

I was asked by Matt to post my question on this forum.

The trigger "has been ... for at least" is no longer supported in HS4. I like this trigger as it helped me to resolve some tricky situations and made many events stable and simple to program. A typical example is "turning off" a device, as in the highlighted area of the first included image. Note that the Gate light can be turned ON by several independent sensors (in different events), and the light should be turned off once all of these sensors were passive for some preset time, as in the highlighted code. Since it cannot be known which sensor is last to become passive, this event can not be triggered by "has been ... for exactly". I assume that the trigger evaluation in my event is not too expensive for the system, and once triggered, the event action immediately deactivates one of the triggers. So, the event itself does not run often.

I found some useful discussion about the reasoning behind dropping "has been ... for at least"​ in HS4 https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-other-similar.​ Indeed, I know from my own experience that it has to be used carefully to avoid a flood of event activations. My event example does not generate such flooding and it worked fine for many years. At the bottom of the discussion, Randy also proposes an alternative solution using "recurrent trigger". Following the idea, I am testing a revision of my event, attached at the bottom. Once tested, I will move it to HS4.

Could please someone confirm that the "recurrent trigger" suggested by Randy (and as in my second event implementation) is a safe solution that does not drain too many resources? BTW, it does make sense to me as it explicitly enforces "do not repeat" interval I was using in the advanced options of the first solution (as an extra precaution against flooding).

Thanks

Yurga

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gate light -OFF - old HS3 solution.png
Views:	324
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1592843
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Gate light -OFF - new HS4 solution.png
Views:	320
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	1592845
              Attached Files

Comment

The circled section of your Event is fine. Since the Recurring Trigger is stopped by a Condition of a switch being On, the action turns it Off, stopping execution.

The second section is the same. It all looks good and will transfer to HS4. Of note: HS4 will honor the "Has been/for at least..." Trigger on upgrade, you just cannot create a new Event or edit an existing Event to contain that Trigger.

Comment

Thanks. All good to know. I was only worried about recurring frequent trigger evaluations not being too expensive for the system.

Comment

Originally posted by yurga View Post
                    Thanks. All good to know. I was only worried about recurring frequent trigger evaluations not being too expensive for the system.
                    It is important to understand an Event where the Trigger is true, but all Actions are stopped due to Conditions not being met, it consumes practically no system resources. It has to evaluate every Trigger, true or not. If it is blocked by Conditions the system moves on. It is the actual execution of Actions that consumes some resources.

Comment

Working...
                    X