Guidance on HS4-Pi Limitations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidance on HS4-Pi Limitations?

I'm brand new to Homeseer; have not purchased it yet.

Wanted to see if someone could give me some guidance regarding capabilities of the HS4-Pi software versus the Standard and Pro. The Homeseer website is hard to extract information from.

I would like to run three specific plugins---> Sonos, Lutron RadioRa2, and Elk UltraM1G3. I would like to control those platforms from a smart phone from within and outside the home network (LAN + WAN).

What are some of the general limitations I should be aware of before plunging into HS4-Pi?

Thanks!

The main difference between the Raspberry PI version and the Standard version is that the Rashberry Pi version can only run 5 plugins. The main difference between the Standard and Pro versions is that the Pro version has the HSTouch designer and Z-Flash and Z-Seer.

If you plan on never needing more than 5 plugins the Raspberry Pi version could work for you.

Comment

You may also want to note that not all plugins are compatible with the Linux environment so you may want to check the compatibility of each individual plugin before you decide.

I don’t use any of the plugins you mention but a quick search in the relevant plugin section should provide you with an answer.

Comment

Also the Pi version comes as a full image, and supports only Pi 2 and Pi 3 at the moment.

If you want your own Linux flavour or to use a Pi 4 I think you have to go standard.

Comment

Originally posted by rge View Post
          Also the Pi version comes as a full image, and supports only Pi 2 and Pi 3 at the moment.

If you want your own Linux flavour or to use a Pi 4 I think you have to go standard.
          The official image do support Pi 4. You only need to do is uninstall wiringPi and then upgrade it to 2.52 or 2.6. But this is only for The LED of the little Z-Wave gpio board. Without the LED, the image is running well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFL View Post
            The official image do support Pi 4...
            Source? I cannot find that mentioned anywhere though I did find a thread from May where SteveW was able to get it working on a Pi 4.

Note that the "HomeSeer HomeTroller Pi G2 Smart Home Hub" specs are for a Pi 2 V1.2 though they do say the "ALL NEW Update | supports unlimited plugins | persistent non-volatile log" so maybe there is some current engineering on HS4-Pi.

Mentioned above - note that Z-SEER is a separate Windows executable which can run on another computer / laptop - it doesn't have to run on the RPi. Haven't used Z-FLASH but I would expect same.

I am looking at this now as I'd like to turn off my Windows Server 2012 (just moved my Logitech Media Server to a Pi 4) and I'm down to HS4 Pro being the last service running. I can't recall how HS3 presented plugins but I remember a much richer list of information - the HS4 view is certainly more attractive but devoid of that information. For those that stumble on this thread and are wondering what plugins HS4-Pi supports the HomeSeer store page "hs4-pi-3-smart-home-automation-software" doesn't say - but it also doesn't mention which Pi are supported either so <shrug>. There isn't a Pi option in the plugins store but I'm pretty sure that HS4-Pi support "Linux" plug-ins. Anyone have specific knowledge here?

In my case...I think I'm going to have to give up "Currrent Cost 3P"...I recall that I moved to that from the "Current Cost ENVI" plugin years ago...ENVI is long gone and Current Cost appears dead as well...and I don't see a contemporary replacement which I find sad.

Comment

If you have an HS4 license you can run it on Linux. The "Pi" licenses are less expensive but limit the number of plugins (at least in the past) and also I think is/was somewhat "stripped down" under the covers as far as the OS. I am running two RPi (one 3, one 4) HS4 systems on Pro licenses upgraded from HS3, one of them upgraded form HS2. I started on Windows but migrated to Linux on HS3, then upgraded those to HS4. The standard and pro versions of HS3 and HS4 install and run just fine on an RPi3 or 4. You do not need a "Pi" version or license. If you are running HS3/4 on Windows, that license can be used on Linux. Memory is the main constraint on the RPi3 (when adding plugins), which is why I went to an RPi4 on my larger system. But It all works and works great. As far as plugins, almost all HS3 plugins will work on HS4.

Comment

Originally posted by bdickhaus View Post
                If you have an HS4 license you can run it on Linux. The "Pi" licenses are less expensive but limit the number of plugins (at least in the past) and also I think is/was somewhat "stripped down" under the covers as far as the OS. I am running two RPi (one 3, one 4) HS4 systems on Pro licenses upgraded from HS3, one of them upgraded form HS2. I started on Windows but migrated to Linux on HS3, then upgraded those to HS4. The standard and pro versions of HS3 and HS4 install and run just fine on an RPi3 or 4. You do not need a "Pi" version or license. If you are running HS3/4 on Windows, that license can be used on Linux. Memory is the main constraint on the RPi3 (when adding plugins), which is why I went to an RPi4 on my larger system. But It all works and works great. As far as plugins, almost all HS3 plugins will work on HS4.
                Now HS4-Pi is no 5 plugins limit.

Comment

Originally posted by centerisland View Post
                  Source? I cannot find that mentioned anywhere though I did find a thread from May where SteveW was able to get it working on a Pi 4.

Note that the "HomeSeer HomeTroller Pi G2 Smart Home Hub" specs are for a Pi 2 V1.2 though they do say the "ALL NEW Update | supports unlimited plugins | persistent non-volatile log" so maybe there is some current engineering on HS4-Pi.

Mentioned above - note that Z-SEER is a separate Windows executable which can run on another computer / laptop - it doesn't have to run on the RPi. Haven't used Z-FLASH but I would expect same.

I am looking at this now as I'd like to turn off my Windows Server 2012 (just moved my Logitech Media Server to a Pi 4) and I'm down to HS4 Pro being the last service running. I can't recall how HS3 presented plugins but I remember a much richer list of information - the HS4 view is certainly more attractive but devoid of that information. For those that stumble on this thread and are wondering what plugins HS4-Pi supports the HomeSeer store page "hs4-pi-3-smart-home-automation-software" doesn't say - but it also doesn't mention which Pi are supported either so <shrug>. There isn't a Pi option in the plugins store but I'm pretty sure that HS4-Pi support "Linux" plug-ins. Anyone have specific knowledge here?

In my case...I think I'm going to have to give up "Currrent Cost 3P"...I recall that I moved to that from the "Current Cost ENVI" plugin years ago...ENVI is long gone and Current Cost appears dead as well...and I don't see a contemporary replacement which I find sad.
                  I installed https://homeseer.com/updates4/HS4PiV5-072621.zip on my Pi 4B 8GB. it's running very well. the only thing I did is uninstall wiringPi and installed newer version. I even upgraded it to the new bulleyes version and it's running very well.

Comment

Working...
                  X