HS4PI boot from SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4PI boot from SSD

Anyone have any tips for me? I have tried 3+ different drives with zero luck... (Eprom is upgraded) regular pi OS boots fine from ALL drives..

Originally posted by Tesadorn View Post
    Anyone have any tips for me? I have tried 3+ different drives with zero luck... (Eprom is upgraded) regular pi OS boots fine from ALL drives..
    What model RPI are you using.

Comment

Pi4 with Sep eeprom It boots fine from SSD with three diff os I have tried.. Just not with the latest HS4 build from their site

Comment

After you have powered up your RPI type the following at the command line.

sudo systemctl status homeseer.service

This is just to check if your instance of HS is running or not.

Could you copy/paste the contents of your homeseer.service file here.

If in fact HS isn’t running on boot can you start it manually. Locate the folder where HSConsole.exe resides and launch the following command

sudo mono HSConsole.exe --log

Now try accessing it via you web browser

Comment

Not clear - are you saying it doesn't boot? If so ... the HSx-Pi images are NOOBS based. NOOBS adds a layer or more to the boot process, you may need to account for that.

Comment

This gentlemen has had a lot of success: Andreas Spiess - YouTube

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
              This gentlemen has had a lot of success: Andreas Spiess - YouTube
              It boot fine from SSD with ANY other OS I have tried with it... It will NOT boot from SSD with the HS4 image, It finds the SSD then hangs right there... I will post a screen shot...

Comment

It boot fine from SSD with ANY other OS I have tried with it... It will NOT boot from SSD with the HS4 image, It finds the SSD then hangs right there... I will post a screen shot...
                I am no Linux guru. The issue I believe is the Pi really wants to boot from the SD card (known). One of his videos tells how to configure, and then boot from, the SD card initially. He describes how to configure the SD card to subsequently run the software and Linux from the SSD.

~Bill

Comment

Ok. So assuming you have installed the OS and rebooted and it boots fine. Then you install HS. Is that correct. Before you attempt to set up any system daemon or reboot could you try launching HS manually as I outlined above.

Possibly outline the steps you have taken from the time you have installed the OS and rebooted to the time after you’ve installed HS.

Try apply some logical fault finding procedure to a conclusion before you embark on another.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
                    Ok. So assuming you have installed the OS and rebooted and it boots fine. Then you install HS. Is that correct. Before you attempt to set up any system daemon or reboot could you try launching HS manually as I outlined above.
                    HS4-Pi is only distributed as an SD card image. I think he's saying that it doesn't boot to the OS.
                    https://homeseer.com/wp-content/uplo...S4Pi-Guide.pdf

The image is NOOBS-based. I wonder if a NOOBS-based distribution is compatible with re-targeting to an SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

HS4-Pi is only distributed as an SD card image. I think he's saying that it doesn't boot to the OS.
                      https://homeseer.com/wp-content/uplo...S4Pi-Guide.pdf

The image is NOOBS-based. I wonder if a NOOBS-based distribution is compatible with re-targeting to an SSD.
                      I doubt it with the partition setup on the card. There’s so many new users out there and I doubt they knew what they were buying into. I reckon it’s a case of “you have what you bought” and get on with it.

For anyone serious about HS I reckon HS Standard is a minimum for anything exotic like booting from SSD 😂

I’m sure there must be an upgrade path. If not suck it up or go HS Standard or better.

Comment

I reckon it’s a case of “you have what you bought” and get on with it.
                        When I used to run the Pi version of HS I extracted it from the HS Pi image and put into my own Pi setup. Worked an absolute treat including integrated updates.

Comment

I doubt it with the partition setup on the card. There’s so many new users out there and I doubt they knew what they were buying into. I reckon it’s a case of “you have what you bought” and get on with it.

For anyone serious about HS I reckon HS Standard is a minimum for anything exotic like booting from SSD 😂

I’m sure there must be an upgrade path. If not suck it up or go HS Standard or better.
                          You just need to run:
                          sudo apt update
                          sudo apt upgrade
                          after it finished, then clone to SSD, it will run from SSD. the only thing is that you have to upgrade wiringPi to make little board LED display properly.

Comment

Originally posted by PFL View Post

You just need to run:
                            sudo apt update
                            sudo apt upgrade
                            after it finished, then clone to SSD, it will run from SSD. the only thing is that you have to upgrade wiringPi to make little board LED display properly.
                            HI PFL. What software do you use to clone the SD to SSD? I have tried it with Etcher and Win32 Disk Imager and cant seem to get it to work.

Comment

The issue is the version of the Raspbian OS that is on the HS image does not support booting from USB.

Here I'm running Raspbian 64Bit upgraded to Debian 11 64Bit on a Raspberry Pi4 8GB on an Argon one SSD adapter with a Samsung 860 EVO 256GB SATA SSD.
                              Note: I use this as my main system even though I have an Intel I9 system next to it.

Install your OS first.
                              Download the HS4 image
                              Copy the /usr/local/HomeSeer folder from the HST image to your new OS.
                              Install the HS4 dependencies such as Mono 6, vbnc, flite, Etc..
                              Navigate to /usr/local/HomeSeer and launch ./go

Roger D

Comment

Working...
                              X