z-wave polling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
    I guess my frustration with that is "a properly designed network" is a way more complex a task than it should be.
    Frankly the only thing "complex" about it is making sure devices are within range of another device which repeats the signal. Beyond that it is really straightforward. I have added devices in under 30 seconds for all the z-wave devices I have added over the past year. Around 12-18. The hardest part has been when a manufacturer doe snot provide (good) instructions for adding the device. Only in a very early stage did I have an issue with the communication to one device. Yes, I used a lamp module to "bridge the gap" but that was a distance issue as any direct signal was trying to go through cinderblock and ground to get to the device and I had none in that direction. I have devices outside and in. In about a 125'x75' area.

So the only "design" I have done for my network was to work outward from a central point and use one lamp module when I didn't.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post

Frankly the only thing "complex" about it is making sure devices are within range of another device which repeats the signal. Beyond that it is really straightforward. I have added devices in under 30 seconds for all the z-wave devices I have added over the past year. Around 12-18. The hardest part has been when a manufacturer doe snot provide (good) instructions for adding the device. Only in a very early stage did I have an issue with the communication to one device. Yes, I used a lamp module to "bridge the gap" but that was a distance issue as any direct signal was trying to go through cinderblock and ground to get to the device and I had none in that direction. I have devices outside and in. In about a 125'x75' area.

So the only "design" I have done for my network was to work outward from a central point and use one lamp module when I didn't.
      OK my perspective is just a little different I guess. Any real world application for me would ultimately involve far more than 12-18 devices. I do not add devices all at once but rather start where they are needed and fill in over time, so the notion of starting near the controller/bridge and building a path outward is not very practical. My ecperience with adding Z-Wave devices has been different from yours in that I have had devices fail to create all of the child devices or error out during installation so I have to delete the device and start again, I also move things around a lot and don't like the possibility that displacing a single device in my installation (or just having a device fail) could disrupt the entire system or force me to deal with some sort of re-optimization process. This is why I feel Z-Wave is more complex than is neccesary or useful when compared to something like Insteon or LoRa.

Comment

I have 71 z-wave devices which have been added over at least the last 10 years. Started with 3 lamp modules. Some of mine move, one, an appliance module, is not always plugged in as it is used for a crock pot.. I did recently have an issue getting child devices for a z-wave remote for my shades. Until I followed the manufacturer's complete directions regarding the order of adding a device to re-add it to the network after the installer messed things up. So I have been adding things slowly as well. I HAVE placed the movable devices in a central area when adding them, but only because the computer running HomeSeer is there and they were added back when I had to be at the controller to add them.

Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe it is the z-wave devices I purchased. The only battery devices are the blinds and their remotes. Maybe not related?
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        1070 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        104 Events
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
        Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

OK I'll just keep adding to my system and see what happens. I won't worry about polling until I see a problem with status not being correct.

Comment

Anyone still answering about polling? I have multiple honeywell pro 6 thermostats connected to homeseer via z wave. They work well for a while but then after a couple of weeks they stop updating their status. My 16 z wave devices all seem to have good connectivity. What am i missing regarding status updates?

Comment

Have any of you had issues with losing communication with T6 stats even when there is a repeater as well many other t6 thermostats within eye sight which are not having any issues? I have some which randomly drop out. The system has 26 total and is only a month old. Neither Homeseer nor Honeywell have been any help at all.

Comment

Working...
              X