Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS4 Latest V running on RPi4 b Suddenly stops - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 Latest V running on RPi4 b Suddenly stops - Solved!

I can't see to figure this one out. I'm running the latest version of HS4 on a new RPi4 b. I run the log window and everything seems normal, not overly busy and then suddenly the system will go off-line and appears to stop executing the events.

If you know how to access the command line on your RPI4 execute the following command when HS appears to go off line:-

sudo systemctl status homeseer.service

This will tell you if the HS service is still running. Without any log information it’s hard to tell what the problem is.

You’ve possibly got a failing SD card if that’s what you are running HS on. The more detail you supply the easier it will be to troubleshoot.

Comment

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it.
      I agree, with the system going offline, I can't see the log. This also happens when I'm on the local network but I didn't think I would able to access the OS through the local network. In fact, I didn't think I would be able to access the OS at all because the Homeseer image took over the computer. I thought the same thing you did regarding the SD card. This card is brand new and flashed with the latest HS4 version. It's strange because when I reset the system it comes up running without any issues, seems very responsive and everything....but then all of a sudden it goes south.

Comment

Do you have a computer you can use to connect to your RPI4 via your local network. It’s quite simple really. If you are a Windows user you can use a utility like PuTTY to access your RPI remotely. If you already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to your RPI4 you simply open the utility called Terminal and from there you can run that command I supplied. Let me know what route best suits you.

Comment

What are the specs of the power supply you are using. The PI4 needs a larger supply. If I recall it needs at least 3 amps.

Comment

Thank you for your input on this issue. Right now I'm 100 miles away from the system but plan to be back there and on the local network this weekend. I will definitely try the Putty approach with the command you furnished me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regarding the power supply, good question. The RPi 4 does take a different power supply than the RPi 3. In fact, the power supply connections on the RPi3 and RPi4 boards are different to where you can not connect an RPi 3 power supply to an RPi 4 board. We are good there, but the issue I guess still could be that I have a flaky power supply, even though it's new. I will swap the power supply as well to see it that makes a difference. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mboehm View Post
              Thank you for your input on this issue. Right now I'm 100 miles away from the system but plan to be back there and on the local network this weekend. I will definitely try the Putty approach with the command you furnished me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regarding the power supply, good question. The RPi 4 does take a different power supply than the RPi 3. In fact, the power supply connections on the RPi3 and RPi4 boards are different to where you can not connect an RPi 3 power supply to an RPi 4 board. We are good there, but the issue I guess still could be that I have a flaky power supply, even though it's new. I will swap the power supply as well to see it that makes a difference. Thanks.
              To quickly rule out power supply issues when you do eventually land just issue the following command in PuTY when the system hangs

dmesg

This will quickly highlight any power supply issues reported in red on the screen output along the lines “under voltage etc”.

There was power issues when the RPI4 first came out. That was addressed by a firmware upgrade so make sure your RPI4 is fully up to date https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.zdne...c-design-flaw/

Comment

I will check that out. Thanks again.

Comment

I wanted to get back to all of you who brain-stormed the problem I had with my RPi - HS4 system stopping for no apparent reason. I wanted to be sure before I came back here with what I believe was the issue. I set the Log filter to errors only and saw a couple of POP errors come up, with attempt to read 9k + emails. At that time the errors didn't stop the controller but I went and checked my email settings. The settings were set to check email every 10 minutes. At this time, my program isn't looking for emails, so I turned that option off. I think the system might have been trying to read all 9000 emails that I never opened, and eventually just shut down. Ever since I made that change, the system has been working great. I passed this on to tech support but haven't heard back from them. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X